The Student Room Group

should i feel guilty about the way i treated her? Am i the bad guy?

i was seeing a girl for about 3 or 4 months, all of a sudden she wants a "break" due to her anxiety.

So I was patient and understanding and we still talked over the past 2 months but she didnt want to meet. Recently I had begun to feel like things were never going to get any better and she did things which made me confused and a bit hurt. This was stuff like not replying to my text asking about meeting up and saying she wanted to see me (drunk) and then the next day saying she couldn't.

So i decided to talk to her about it and called her. We chatted a bit and i brought up that recently she's been making me feel quite hurt and unwanted with some of the things she's been doing (i wasnt angry or upset or anything). So then she cries and hangs up. I try to call back and her friend answers and says she doesnt want to speak to me (i thought this was very juvenile)

After this i texted her a few times and she said she couldnt stay on the phone while someone told her how bad she makes them feel. I decided the floodgates were open so i just told her everything- i felt she was "phasing me out, that i felt that 3/4 months deserves a proper breakup (she disagreed). She said she cares about me and said something about being friends but i told her that we couldn't really be friends and it's not like we would spend any time together.

Anyway, i'm just looking for some reassurance? Am i the bad guy? I can't help but feel guilty but at the same time i need to be able to talk about my feelings? Even if she has issues with anxiety that doesn't mean she can behave however she wants. I especially felt upset that her friend answered the phone, to me this is like the behaviour of a teenager.

I did think about texting her an apology, but i don't know if should.
Reply 1
You did the right thing. Congratulations on your 3 or 4 months of patience, but it was time to move on

I may be entirely wrong, but I don't think anxiety issues prevent you from meeting up with people for a third of the year!
Reply 2
This is a bit of a tricky one. In normal circumstances (if the girl was free from anxiety or any other mental conditions) I would say yeah fair enough, sounds like she's lost interest.

In this case, it's hard to tell. Not meeting up with the person you're seeing for 2 months in any scenario is a bit much though. I don't think you should have made her feel bad, but you were right to break it off. You definitely could have handled things better though, she sounds fragile.
Reply 3
Original post by Another
You did the right thing. Congratulations on your 3 or 4 months of patience, but it was time to move on

I may be entirely wrong, but I don't think anxiety issues prevent you from meeting up with people for a third of the year!

Problem with mental illnesses is that they can go on for months without being diagnosed or realising they even have a problem. She may have anxiety, but she could also be suffering from something more serious.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
i was seeing a girl for about 3 or 4 months, all of a sudden she wants a "break" due to her anxiety.

So I was patient and understanding and we still talked over the past 2 months but she didnt want to meet. Recently I had begun to feel like things were never going to get any better and she did things which made me confused and a bit hurt. This was stuff like not replying to my text asking about meeting up and saying she wanted to see me (drunk) and then the next day saying she couldn't.

So i decided to talk to her about it and called her. We chatted a bit and i brought up that recently she's been making me feel quite hurt and unwanted with some of the things she's been doing (i wasnt angry or upset or anything). So then she cries and hangs up. I try to call back and her friend answers and says she doesnt want to speak to me (i thought this was very juvenile)

After this i texted her a few times and she said she couldnt stay on the phone while someone told her how bad she makes them feel. I decided the floodgates were open so i just told her everything- i felt she was "phasing me out, that i felt that 3/4 months deserves a proper breakup (she disagreed). She said she cares about me and said something about being friends but i told her that we couldn't really be friends and it's not like we would spend any time together.

Anyway, i'm just looking for some reassurance? Am i the bad guy? I can't help but feel guilty but at the same time i need to be able to talk about my feelings? Even if she has issues with anxiety that doesn't mean she can behave however she wants. I especially felt upset that her friend answered the phone, to me this is like the behaviour of a teenager.

I did think about texting her an apology, but i don't know if should.

You deserve better. Let her go and find someone that will treat you well!
(edited 7 years ago)
I tried really hard to be patient and understanding. I guess it just got harder to do though, particularly when she did things like not reply to my texts or say she wanted to see me but never went through with it. I started to get upset that she didn't appreciate me, when I said I had been patient she said "I never asked you to do that". I feel like giving her a free pass just because she has anxiety is unhealthy.
Reply 6
Original post by TaintedSoul
Not at all. B*tches love to be treated like ****!

What??? I'm not sure you understand what OP is trying to say at all!
Probably a good thing. I wouldnt worry about it though it sounds unlikely either of you were any good for each other and you seemed to make things worse for each other.
Original post by 999tigger
Probably a good thing. I wouldnt worry about it though it sounds unlikely either of you were any good for each other and you seemed to make things worse for each other.

The 3/4 months we spent together were great. You're probably right though, neither of us could meet each others' needs.
thanks for your responses. I've even feeling really **** about it, your made me feel a bit better.
Honestly i think you should break up with her yourself, she's not being kind to you and you deserve better. It seems like you're a nice sensitive person so don't let her make you feel bad
Original post by umar39
What??? I'm not sure you understand what OP is trying to say at all!

That post is directed to the OP. I was trying to say that he deserves better. Someone that actually treats him well.
You did the reasonable, mature thing and explained how you felt. Brutally even if tears are shed because of that, it's the right thing to do.
I can relate to you a lot on this. Same thing happened with my ex but she instead wanted a break because of her family problems. I was aware of her family problem but the way she acted towards me and how she was disrespecting me, it hurt me. And I didn't find it justifiable. I also told her about it but she'd always try to justify that im in the wrong. In the end, I just accepted the fact the she lost feelings towards me. I broke up with her quite harshly and I shouldn't have done that. I'm still not over her today. You did the right thing. You did this for your self as you knew that this relationship wasn't going anywhere and from my opinion she seemed to string you along. You'll feel like your bad person because you didn't want to leave her? I also feel like a bad person because of the fact I left her. In the end you have to be honest with your self and know your boundaries and what you feel is right. Hope you get better OP, it'll take time mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-ved
I can relate to you a lot on this. Same thing happened with my ex but she instead wanted a break because of her family problems. I was aware of her family problem but the way she acted towards me and how she was disrespecting me, it hurt me. And I didn't find it justifiable. I also told her about it but she'd always try to justify that im in the wrong. In the end, I just accepted the fact the she lost feelings towards me. I broke up with her quite harshly and I shouldn't have done that. I'm still not over her today. You did the right thing. You did this for your self as you knew that this relationship wasn't going anywhere and from my opinion she seemed to string you along. You'll feel like your bad person because you didn't want to leave her? I also feel like a bad person because of the fact I left her. In the end you have to be honest with your self and know your boundaries and what you feel is right. Hope you get better OP, it'll take time mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. It's not just that i feel bad because i didn't want to end things with her, it's also because i feel a bit guilty about making her upset. It's difficult for me because she was really the first girl i liked enough to spend more than a month seeing and we were really into each other (until her anxiety began to get in the way).
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
Thanks. It's not just that i feel bad because i didn't want to end things with her, it's also because i feel a bit guilty about making her upset. It's difficult for me because she was really the first girl i liked enough to spend more than a month seeing and we were really into each other (until her anxiety began to get in the way).

I see. I also felt bad for making her upset. And it still gets to me today. I also spent a lot of time with her whenever I had the chance because she wanted to in which was for 4 months. I still feel bad for it. But no, you shouldn't feel like a bad guy. And no worries man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending