The Student Room Group

Running 1km- HELP!

I have been watching the Olympics, and well, I was 'inspired' :tongue:

I decided to try to run 1km- Do not ask why! I have never properly ran before, I also have asthma, which doesn't help.

So I took off, and was going fine. Then I started getting stitches at about the 500m/600m point. I kept on running. I ran it in 5m 19s. I do not really know if that score is good, average or bad?

I had to really push myself and I was really knackered after it. How can I improve my time? What exercise should I do to warm up (I didn't do any before my mini-marathon :tongue:)

I am 15 btw
Do it more often, gradually increase distance and effort

The couch to 5k programme is perfect for you
Original post by RuWill2001

I decided to try to run 1km- Do not ask why! I have never properly ran before, I also have asthma, which doesn't help.

So I took off, and was going fine. Then I started getting stitches at about the 500m/600m point. I kept on running. I ran it in 5m 19s. I do not really know if that score is good, average or bad?

I had to really push myself and I was really knackered after it. How can I improve my time? What exercise should I do to warm up (I didn't do any before my mini-marathon :tongue:)

I am 15 btw

Just keep going for it when i started i would run for 10 mins and be blowing out my arse but after a few months i could run 5 miles in just under 40 mins.Basically just stick in youll become fit as **** in no time :smile:
running will actually help your asthma long term... just don't go far without an inhaler and mobile!

if you can already run 1km then you can train from there, no need for walk breaks just do a couple more 1km runs then increase to a couple of kms and so on... if you can't complete it then slow down a little bit, 5 mins for a km is a pretty decent pace if you maintained it over several miles so slowing down a little for runs where you're increasing your distance is fine

I am 15 btw

I'm proud of you :biggrin: I'm the same age and I've never attempted a 1k in my life. (always faked sickness at school before doing the 1500m)
I agree with using C25K. It has a warm up walk timed within the run and also a cool down which stops aching bones the next day. I've used it a while and I found it has helped me boost my energy throughout the day.
I also have asthma (exercise induced) and my doctor always says to run when it isn't cold and dry outside (this pretty much guarantees an asthma attack). And always take your inhaler with you.
The only other thing I can recommend is a steady pace. You should be able to hold a conversation while running. If you are going too fast, you will feel extremely knackered and the slightly slower pace is actually better to improve your cardiovascular fitness.

With consistency, (running 3x a week?) you'll be able to improve your time within weeks :smile:

I am 15 btw

Train effectively, once you start don't stop. The harder you try the further you will get. I have been in your position once with the stitches as i am a long distance/cross country runner. Doing some core workouts at home will really help prevent the stitches. I am the same age as you and i didn't start long ago. Hope it helped, if you need any other advice just pop me a message!
Reply 6
Thanks ALL for the tips! I have been running over the past two weeks and my time has been improving! Today I ran 4 mins 43 seconds, which I am really proud of! Thanks again!

I am 15 btw

Hey firstly well done for starting running! I run too and it's great! Secondly sorry for replying to this late I am new to the site.

To improve further you need to gain more speed and endurance. This can be done through a mix of training. I train 5x a week (I've built this up over many years so don't worry it this sounds a lot!). I do interval sessions twice a week, hill session once a week, an easy run once a week and a long run once a week.

The intervals help improve speed and endurance and will get you faster quite quickly!

The hills build strength and will greatly improve speed.

The long run builds aerobic fitness and endurance which is also needed.

The easy run keeps my legs moving to recover from a hard session and also helps improve my aerobic fitness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am 15 btw

Wow that's amazing, I have asthma too and love running. Pushing yourself is great, but don't do it too much especially if you start wheezing really badly. I think that's a really good time tbh. Practice as much as you can, like set a rota and increase your distance gradually. This will make you faster and easier to run longer distances, but it depends on if speed or distance is your priority. I guess you don't really need to do warm-up if you're doing cardio, it might tire you out. But remember to stretch afterwards so it's less painful the following days.

Quick Reply

Latest