The Student Room Group

Big nose, shattered self confidence, crying my eyes out

Scroll to see replies

I'm underweight, I would change my height if I could that also gets me down but it's mainly that nose, I literally feel it burning with embarrassment when I go out. My dad is going to pay for it so the issue of affordability isn't there thanks god.
I don't think I'll have one with this doctor though because I've looked at the gallery of his work and he makes all the noses really sharp and really dipped in in the middle if that makes sense
Can't tell if ur overreacting , a pic would help
I'm too short but the thing is because I'm petite it makes my nose stand out even more in my opinion :frown: I didn't really notice when my nose became big, I think I first started hating it at the end of year 11 (not by that much though) but in 6th form the hate of it grew more and I became even more insecure at uni when a guy said it was big and another guy commented on it :frown:
I don't really notice people's noses quickly when I see them but I do notice a nose which looks perfect really quickly. My parents also have big Roman noses but my mum doesn't care as she's the type of person who's like water of a ducks back :frown: I wish I was like that :frown:
Do you have a nose piercing?
Original post by Cumshot Caliph
Do you have a nose piercing?

No
I don't know much about plastic surgery, but I don't think a reputable surgeon would offer quotes based on pictures - they would need to see you in the flesh. there's also no such thing as a "perfect nose". The surgeon seems like a tw!t
5'2 and yeah for girls it's a good thing but I'm the shortest out of all my friends and so many clothes look better on tall girls :/ in high school no one really commented on my nose but this other girl I was friends with also hated her nose (but she had a different shape to mine) and wanted a nose job and I was like my nose is big as well and she didn't say t wasn't she just said it was a Roman nose. One of my other friends who's super nice said I didn't have a Roman nose though.
And the guy took unflattering pics of me on snapchat and captioned it with look at that nose and another one with you could do Pythagoras theorem on that nose. He was doing it as a 'joke' but he meant it because earlier in the year he told me this girl in his school had a big nose and he pointed it out to her. The second guy said my nose would have its own gravitational field because the first guy I talked about went on my phone and messaged him insulting him but this guy thought it was actually me saying these things. He used to fancy me as well then he goes and says my nose could have its own gravitational field :frown:
Just remember the surgeon is the one getting paid here. He's obviously going to say it needs reconstructing.
(edited 7 years ago)
i can honestly say that i know how you feel. my nose I long, I slightly crooked at the top and is hoocked at the bottom. i always get it pulled (quiet literally) by my uncle and always get told that i need a nose job. I too have to wait till summer but ive just gotten used to making fun of my nose myself and living with it knowing that the waiting will be worth I when its smaller
Diversity has been excluded from what it means to be beautiful in the media, but it's total crap. Diversity is a wonderful thing, and difference in people's facial proportions and quirks can genuinely be exotic and a real attraction.
Not meaning to invalidate how you feel, but I think all the small-featured celebrities and models that fill every screen and magazine cover have such a huuuuuuuuuuge impact to the subconscious. It is brainwashing, and whilst a lot of your peers may buy into it, there's also a lot of decent people, who will see you as you are, and be totally attracted to you.
Original post by Anonymous

I don't think I'll have one with this doctor though because I've looked at the gallery of his work and he makes all the noses really sharp and really dipped in in the middle if that makes sense

It sounds like he fetishises a particular look of nose as perfection, which is probably why he talks about a "perfect" nose being 100 etc. To be honest whilst that "you will be 70" thing sounds awful, I would actually look at that as being the outcome to target. My friend had a nose job 3 years ago and now you can't tell that she has had one, it doesn't look in any way designer, its just like a normal nose. But it made a huge difference to her confidence. You can tell through looking at older facebook pics that she did have a bigger nose before, and just taking her in to the bounds of normality rather than being on the large side has made her a lot more happy in herself. So whilst I know people will say "its just a nose, forget it, get psychiatric treatment instead" etc I do think there is something in taking a direct approach to targeting the problem and getting it fixed. As long as you aren't fixated on the idea of a 'perfect' nose and target it just being in the bounds of normal so its not an issue then it might make you feel a lot better - just do your research first and make sure you get a good vibe from whatever surgeon you use when you speak to them.
Original post by shawn_o1
Gosh it's only a nose.
(:colonhash: at the same time i'm most likely complaining about why i don't have a job and they be like "it's only a job":wink:

A job is more important than a decent nose brah
Reply 32
Love yourself!!! There is no such thing as being perfect. Everyone has something about themselves they don't particularly favour. That's what makes you beautifully unique. Please focus on your blessings rather than small things that don't matter. You have so much to be grateful for!

Although the media would have us believe otherwise, there is no one face to beauty. If anyone (friends or not) make you feel any less due to something PHYSICAL that will decay one day, remove them from your life.

He created the heavens and earth in truth and formed you and perfected your forms; and to Him is the [final] destination. [The Holy Qur'an - The Mutual Loss and Gain, 64:3]
The one thing I would say is to ignore anyone who trivialises your suffering by saying 'don't care, it's not important.'. Because it's true, people will notice (I know that sounds harsh but that's a fact of life / home truth) and yes, it destroys your self esteem - I don't know that through my nose but through other things. Emapthy is a difficult skill to have and you can only perfect it if you can 100% relate to something that someone else is going through.

I think you just have to deal with it though, that part is right. If surgery is the way forward then.. :dontknow:
(edited 7 years ago)
Please keep this anon. I'm crying my eyes out and don't want to go outside because of my nose, since puberty hit me I've always had the suspicion my nose was big and one time a guy even told me it was. It's not ginormous or crooked, it's quite straight but a bit long/Roman like (like a Greek nose I think)
but I've been wanting a nose job for ages and I found this nose surgeon who had a number on his website that you could send pics of your yourself to and he'd give you a quote for it. So I stupidly did that and I wished I hadn't, just look at the reply I got back for it, I can't stop crying;
"Hello .You have a cartilaginous nose with thick skin. your nose is wide and asymmetrical. In profile view, The length of the nose (distance between radix and tip in the side view) is big and needs to be reduced. If we rate an ideal perfect nose on your face as 100, you will achieve 70 after surgery"

Basically I can't have a nose job as I'm going back to uni so would have to wait for next summer holiday for recover but now the thought of waiting another year with my nose is making me Want to cry even more.
Whenever I go outside I feel like I need to angle myself so people next to me can't see my nose as they must see me and think omg she's so gross look at her nose it makes her look like a man.
I'm quite petite as well so I feel like my nose sticks out on me even more as its so out of harmony with the rest of my body :frown:
Idk why I really posted but I'm just so down and can't stop crying. I didn't tell my mum I sent my pictures to this plastic surgeon as I know she'll get mad and upset and say I should wait. :frown:

Listen my advice to you is ignore everyone and focus on your studies.
Study all day and night.
Because that's what matters in life, to get good grades.
So give a damn about your looks and study like crazy.
Hey,
I know it might not feel like it, but most people probably aren't too concerned with what your nose looks like! I know that might not help how you feel about your nose, and I'm sorry that the way it looks makes you so upset. I used to be like you are over my own body, I'm very small (5'1), with big hips but no boobs. I mean, they-don't-make-bras-in-my-size small. I was very upset about that until recently, I'm not entirely sure what made me change my mind, but I just realised that most people probably weren't focusing on that, and if they were, I probably wasn't interested in being friends or anything else with them.
Plus, there are lots of beautiful women out there with large noses. Lea Michele, Gisele Bundchen, Penelope Cruz, Viola Davis, Lady Gaga, just to name a few. Like somebody said before me, if it's upsetting you to the point where you don't want to leave the house, you should consider seeing a counsellor and talking body issues through.
If none of that helps, and you still want plastic surgery and feel upset at having to wait so long, have you considered contouring? You can get cheap palettes from Superdrug or Boots and practise with tutorials online? It's very easy to make you nose look smaller/thinner and could help you with your confidence. :smile:
Original post by robertpiktos
Listen my advice to you is ignore everyone and focus on your studies.
Study all day and night.
Because that's what matters in life, to get good grades.
So give a damn about your looks and study like crazy.

I did study, I'm at my dream uni now doing my dream course and my nose is still making me unhappy
I did study, I'm at my dream uni now doing my dream course and my nose is still making me unhappy

Wonderful.
So just study all day , don't go out witu people.
Study all day, and get a stellar degree so you could get a good job.
Forget about your nose, and on what other people think of your looks,focus only on your studies.
That's my advice to you.
Hey, I got a big nose too, and lemme tell you secret: Every single female (even the supermodels. Especially the supermodels) thinks she looks ugly. Really ugly. I remember when my mum told me, I thought it was only me. But it ain't :wink:
So if you wanna go and try to fix it up, go ahead. If you think that's gonna make you feel better, ok. But just remember - there's always gonna be some little (or big) pickle you have with your appearance, so just try not to let it become a big part of your life. You've got an amazing life ahead of you, so just go for it, girl! :h:
Please keep this anon. I'm crying my eyes out and don't want to go outside because of my nose, since puberty hit me I've always had the suspicion my nose was big and one time a guy even told me it was. It's not ginormous or crooked, it's quite straight but a bit long/Roman like (like a Greek nose I think)
but I've been wanting a nose job for ages and I found this nose surgeon who had a number on his website that you could send pics of your yourself to and he'd give you a quote for it. So I stupidly did that and I wished I hadn't, just look at the reply I got back for it, I can't stop crying;
"Hello .You have a cartilaginous nose with thick skin. your nose is wide and asymmetrical. In profile view, The length of the nose (distance between radix and tip in the side view) is big and needs to be reduced. If we rate an ideal perfect nose on your face as 100, you will achieve 70 after surgery"

Basically I can't have a nose job as I'm going back to uni so would have to wait for next summer holiday for recover but now the thought of waiting another year with my nose is making me Want to cry even more.
Whenever I go outside I feel like I need to angle myself so people next to me can't see my nose as they must see me and think omg she's so gross look at her nose it makes her look like a man.
I'm quite petite as well so I feel like my nose sticks out on me even more as its so out of harmony with the rest of my body :frown:
Idk why I really posted but I'm just so down and can't stop crying. I didn't tell my mum I sent my pictures to this plastic surgeon as I know she'll get mad and upset and say I should wait. :frown:

I like big noses! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending