The Student Room Group

Scared I'm going to fail my a levels. New spec.

I've just started year 12 & I've chosen psychology, biology and geography. I'm doing the new spec for every subject which means doing exams in year 13. I want to drop geography because the first lesson just bored me and was so hard. I want to change it to media. Also the fact that the exams are in year 13 scare me because that means I can't drop a subject & that means there are no more resits so once you fail, you fail. I'm scared for biology because I'm not amazing at it. I got a B at GCSE but everyone in my class got A&A*'s. It's only been a few days and the stress is getting to me and I don't know how I'm going to cope for the next 2 years. I really don't want to fail but I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice of how they got through a levels or how they're getting through?

Also I know the new spec is going to be so much harder this year which adds to my worries.
Mate, I guarantee you a lot of people feel the same way the first 2-3 weeks of a-levels, I certainly did. I am currently in year 13 and when I started year 12 I thought what hell did I get myself into picking 3 sciences and maths, but after a while you get used to it and don't worry too much about sitting exams in year 13, it's going to be more work for us but we'll get through.
Reply 2
Original post by rdlewiss
I've just started year 12 & I've chosen psychology, biology and geography. I'm doing the new spec for every subject which means doing exams in year 13. I want to drop geography because the first lesson just bored me and was so hard. I want to change it to media. Also the fact that the exams are in year 13 scare me because that means I can't drop a subject & that means there are no more resits so once you fail, you fail. I'm scared for biology because I'm not amazing at it. I got a B at GCSE but everyone in my class got A&A*'s. It's only been a few days and the stress is getting to me and I don't know how I'm going to cope for the next 2 years. I really don't want to fail but I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice of how they got through a levels or how they're getting through?

Also I know the new spec is going to be so much harder this year which adds to my worries.

hiiiiiiii i'm currently in year 13 so all the subjects i'm doing are on the spec (doing sociology psychology and biology) we still had to sit the AS exams for the subjects this summer (A in sociology, A in psychology D in biology and U in chemistry which i dropped) the new spec is more or less the same but the exam style questions are slightly the same. my advice would be to do as many past papers as you can because this is a good way to test your knowledge and make sure that you do know the content. also keep good notes for your AS year because your going to need them next year. for psychology especially, practice a lot of essay questions as they tend to be repeated
Reply 3

The new specs are hard, but they're actually good for some people, because generally most people do worse on them than modular ones, so the grade boundaries are usually much lower. For AS business it was 65% for an A :h:.

I'm doing two linear A levels and I'm currently in year 13. Just makes sure you accumulate your work, do some everyday up until the final exam, otherwise you have no chance of getting a high grade. It's understandable your finding A levels difficult because you just started. But if you hate a subject, drop it and take another.

Hi, i also do Biology and Psychology and I'm now in year 13 and I'm pretty sure i might be doing the same spec as you because mine is a 2 year course! Although it may not seem like it now it will get better, especially biology, are you doing biological molecules at the moment or water? My advice would be keep going back over your notes!
Reply 5
Original post by l_harries10
Hi, i also do Biology and Psychology and I'm now in year 13 and I'm pretty sure i might be doing the same spec as you because mine is a 2 year course! Although it may not seem like it now it will get better, especially biology, are you doing biological molecules at the moment or water? My advice would be keep going back over your notes!

Thank you for your advice! I'm not too sure but I think I'm doing biological molecules. I'm so scared for biology as people always tend to fail a level biology
Thank you for your advice! I'm not too sure but I think I'm doing biological molecules. I'm so scared for biology as people always tend to fail a level biology

You'll be fine, it just takes a little while to get into the flow of biology but if you have any questions come back to this thread and i will help try and answer them for you! I promise you it gets better even if it doesn't seem like it now :smile:
Reply 7
You'll be fine, it just takes a little while to get into the flow of biology but if you have any questions come back to this thread and i will help try and answer them for you! I promise you it gets better even if it doesn't seem like it now :smile:

Thank you so much, I will do! I really appreciate it :smile:
Thank you so much, I will do! I really appreciate it :smile:

Hey, how's the biology going? Is it getting better?!
Reply 9
Hey, how's the biology going? Is it getting better?!

Hi, sorry for the late reply! I actually ended up dropping Bio 3 weeks into a level because I never really wanted to go into it and only chose it as it's a 'facilitating' subject. Thank God I changed it because the subjects I am doing are way less harder than Bio but still so stressful!

Quick Reply

Latest