The Student Room Group

Foundation year?

I was sick while my exams and did really badly at AS (CDD in Sociology, Psychology and Biology, respectively). My teachers told me not to resit due to the specification changes as now A2 includes AS things as well.

Generally in my college my AS grades become my predicted grades, but my Psychology and Sociology teachers declared they would predict me better grades, as they know I score higher (for example, I had A's in both my Sociology exams throughout the year). So, the best I can count on is something about BBD.

I would like to study Psychology at uni, but haven't seen an offer lower than BCC.

I've heard that foundation year is for mature students and others with special circumstances. Is that correct? Can I apply for a course with foundation year?

I don't doubt that ultimately I can meet the BCC offer, but it's all for nothing if I don't get any offer at all.
Reply 1
Have you considered retaking your first year? If you do a foundation year you will still be a year behind but you'll have to spend £9000
I did think about it, but quickly dropped that idea because most universities precisely say that they don't accept the grade if achieving such took more than 2 years.

I'm working really hard this year and hope that my actual grades will be better than my predicted ones, then I'll either try to find something through adjustment or take a gap year and apply to uni having A Levels already. How does the procedure look like then?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by not-interested
I did think about it, but quickly dropped that idea because most universities precisely say that they don't accept the grade if achieving such took more than 2 years.

I'm working really hard this year and hope that my actual grades will be better than my predicted ones, then I'll either try to find something through adjustment or take a gap year and apply to uni having A Levels already. How does the procedure look like then?

Most universities don't mind if you retake a year. Only the ones with the very highest requirements object.

You can't apply through Adjustment unless you exceed a Firm Offer in the same year. Applying next year will be a completely new application.

But equally a Foundation Year can be a good route too. The extra cost gets added to your SFE account and you only start repaying when you start earning enough money. However it's usually for people who have the "wrong" A-levels, rather that poor grades in the right A-levels. You'd need to check individual Foundation Year course entry requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyway, I would like to try to apply to universities with BBC-BCC offers that offered places through clearing this year, so there weren't many candidates for a place apparently. Do you think I have a chance to get a conditional offer then?
Reply 5
Anyway, I would like to try to apply to universities with BBC-BCC offers that offered places through clearing this year, so there weren't many candidates for a place apparently. Do you think I have a chance to get a conditional offer then?

There's no guarantee a course in Clearing this year will be in Clearing next year. Also there's no guarantee they will accept candidates below their entry requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

You can't apply through Adjustment unless you exceed a Firm Offer in the same year. Applying next year will be a completely new application.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that, but what I was talking about was getting my A2 results and applying again next year, already having them. For example, if I get AAB in my exams, I will apply to unis with AAB offer and either get a place or not. Do you know anything about that?
Reply 7
I know that, but what I was talking about was getting my A2 results and applying again next year, already having them. For example, if I get AAB in my exams, I will apply to unis with AAB offer and either get a place or not. Do you know anything about that?

Don't wait until after you get your results to apply via Clearing - logistically it can be tricky to get the right course at the right university and with accommodation sorted all in a very short period of time. Assuming they have a place at all.

So if you retake the year just send a new UCAS application before 15th Jan 2017, with appropriate predictions from your referee and applying to suitable universities/courses in line with the predictions (maybe with a couple below as insurance).
(edited 7 years ago)
But the problem is, there aren't any courses with lower predictions for psychology/criminology and I can't thing of any other related course. I wasn't taking about Clearing - that's actually what I'm trying to avoid. If that's the case, I would take a gap year and simply apply for next year (i.e. 2018) entry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending