The Student Room Group

Embarrassed by haemorrhoids and scared of surgery

Taken down
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Keep taking the cream, use wet wipes instead of normal toilet paper and keep a decent diet with fruit and veg and hopefully you won't need surgery.
Reply 2
Original post by mb293
I've had internal and external haemorrhoids since I was 15 (now 22) and finally went to the doctor today. I decided to go because it got to the point where I spend half an hour on the loo each time just waiting for the bleeding to stop. The doctor gave me a cream and a depositary to try for a month, but said if they don't work I will likely have surgery. Given how big they are and how long I've had them and how good my diet hydration etc is I feel pretty certain they're not going to go away just like that.

Can anyone tell me if they've ever experienced this and if the ointment really does work well on 1-2cm haemorrhoids?

Has anyone had surgery and tell me what they do? Dr mentioned banding vs cutting them off and can't see why they wouldn't just cut them off?

Thanks, I'm so embarrassed about this literally not told anyone other than Dr today in the whole 7 years.

Hey there. I can see why you would be concerned especially if you have never had surgery beore. It's a pretty big deal even if it's a minor surgery.

For now, try not to focus on that though. It's only a possibility and you have this other treatment to try first. As the above poster said, stick with that and be gentle using soft toilet roll or wipes. If you do have any concerns there is nothing wrong with going back to have a talk with your doctor or a nurse about them. A lot of the time the fear can be worse than the actual issue.
There is a good chance that this treatment will work otherwise the doctor wouldn't ask you to try it so try to stay positive.

If this treatment does not work, which it hopefully will, you will still be fine. Surgery may be scary and a big deal to think about, but the actual procedure will be super simple for you- you basically just go to sleep and spend some time in recovery. Exact details will depend on the particular surgery and i'm not familiar with this type, but i'm sure you can find people's experiences online just by googling it.
You've been suffering with what sounds like an aweful proplem for years now and if you can manage that you can manage surgery. I paniced loads before my first surgery and honestly that worrying was the worst part. Chances are your surgery will be absolutely fine with no complications, but you'll always play it up in your head and be expecting the worst. Try not to do that to yourself. Have a good long conversation with your doctor about any concerns and remember that any horror stories you read online are just one persons experience.

One of the reasons yours are so bad is probably because you have spent so long avouding seeng anybody about it. They have had a long time to develop. Hopefully once they finally get faced with some treatment they'll be easy to get rid of.

Sorry I don't have any personal experience to share, but google was how I found people's experiences for my surgery and you may even find forums dedicated to this sort of issue.
Just remember you've had a lot of time to dwell on this and how terrible it is so it will be a lot worse in your head. Although it's a rather private issue it's nothing to be embarassed about. People have all sorts of issues they'd rather people didn't know about and yours is no different. As you open up a bit about it like you have here and get a bit more ifo on it it will hopefully become a lot less scary to you.

Hope that heped a bit and good luck with this treatment. :smile:
Thank you very much, that was really helpful at calming my mind :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest