The Student Room Group

Applying to multiple courses in the same University?

I hope to live at home during University and I plan on applying to the following courses, 4 at Ulster University:
1. Human Nutrition
2. Food and Nutrition
3. Sport, Physical Activity and Health
4. Sport and Exercise Science
5. Physiology, Sports Science and Nutrition ( Glasgow University)

The nutrition courses are in the Coleraine campus while 3 and 4 are in the Derry and Jordanstown campus, respectively.

I was wondering if it's okay to apply to different courses in the same University? I know they are kind of related which is good and I plan to write my personal statement based around both nutrition and exercise.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know if it's really advisable to apply to only one university (maybe at least applying to a second would be better?), but I applied to two courses at UWS. Got offers from both, so had one as my firm and the other as insurance as the conditions were different. :biggrin:

I was almost going to apply to two different courses (Marine Biology and Aquaculture) at Stirling this year, until I read that at third year it's possible to choose the other anyway as the content in the first two years are the same. Seemed like a waste in that case to apply to both if it is possible to move between them later.
Original post by sinfonietta
I don't know if it's really advisable to apply to only one university (maybe at least applying to a second would be better?), but I applied to two courses at UWS. Got offers from both, so had one as my firm and the other as insurance as the conditions were different. :biggrin:

I was almost going to apply to two different courses (Marine Biology and Aquaculture) at Stirling this year, until I read that at third year it's possible to choose the other anyway as the content in the first two years are the same. Seemed like a waste in that case to apply to both if it is possible to move between them later.

OP is also applying to Glasgow 😊

Original post by Niall1864
I hope to live at home during University and I plan on applying to the following courses, 4 at Ulster University:
1. Human Nutrition
2. Food and Nutrition
3. Sport, Physical Activity and Health
4. Sport and Exercise Science
5. Physiology, Sports Science and Nutrition ( Glasgow University)

The nutrition courses are in the Coleraine campus while 3 and 4 are in the Derry and Jordanstown campus, respectively.

I was wondering if it's okay to apply to different courses in the same University? I know they are kind of related which is good and I plan to write my personal statement based around both nutrition and exercise.

Of course you can! I applied to 2 at Cardiff and got offers for both courses 😊 Good luck!
Original post by emiloujess
OP is also applying to Glasgow 😊

He edited that in after I posted. Originally all five of his courses were at Ulster.
Reply 4
Applying to 2 courses at the same uni isn't disastrous, but it's usually rather pointless. Applying to 4 choices at the same uni is very pointless, because it has no good points but will show the uni that you're not dedicated to a course. Unis can see what other courses you've applied to at their uni, so will know that you have no idea what you want to study.
Original post by sinfonietta
He edited that in after I posted. Originally all five of his courses were at Ulster.

Oh :smile: sorry!
Reply 6
Thank you everyone! I think I'll change the sport, physical activity and health course to a course in another university and then just base it off those 5 choices. :smile:
Reply 7
the uni is gonna get a bit worried if you apply for such a large number of courses cause it looks like you haven't made up your mind and just want to go to uni for the experience rather than because you're passionate about a particular course.
It's okay to apply to more than one course at one university, but to apply to 4 at the same university I would say is very risky.
If they don't like your application, then you will struggle to get an offer. Also the fact you're applying to so many different courses might suggest to the university that you're unsure of what you want to study and not truly committed to their subject area.
On the other hand they might see it as you're really passionate about studying at their university which would be good.
It's up to you, but I personally wouldn't do it.
I have applied for 3 of my courses at the same uni. It is absolutely fine as long as they have a range of different entry requirements, to ensure that if you don't do so well, you have a back up. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending