The Student Room Group

Appealing after remarks ?

Hey everyone!!! I'm in a bit of a situation. I performed below than expected in an exam. I got a B and averaged at an a in the subject overall ( I got 96% in every other exam/ cw ). My school spent ages deciding whether to appeal or not, my subject teacher saying yes, the head and management team saying no... then they said no. My subject teacher changed her opinion too after that.

I sent my exam script to different qualified examiners I found on various tutor websites for the exam while blurring all annotations and marks, providing no context what so ever and they marked it considerably higher. When I told them the grade I received, I got comments like ' All I can say is that make sure even the dumbest examiners understand it next time' and 'it's likely you won't be so unfortunate in your resit'. . But mainly I'm concerned as it's a struggle to see how to improve now in the resit. I can't appeal so late after getting my remark or without my school. I haven't go at much advice from my teacher and I feel reallly lost and confused.. they're just saying you'll have better luck with examiners next time. I'm scared the reason no one is saying anything is because they know it was badly marked and now we can't do anything.

Any advice would be appreciated guys... xx
If it's too late to get it remarked there isn't much you can do about it. Would you consider resitting? Do you need this grade for uni?
Wait for gdunne, muttley or compost as they are exam officers.

My understanding was there is no appeal procedure followng a remark. The actual deadline for remarks was a long time ago. You can get confirmation by simply ringing the relevant exam board and asking.

That means if you want a change the only option is to resit.

To improve then you need either to do more marked papers to id where you went wrong.
Work with your teacher.
Get a private tutor who understands the difference needed for A* and that's the gap for improvement.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Wait for gdunne, muttley or compost as they are exam officers.

My understanding was there is no appeal procedure followng a remark. The actual deadline for remarks was a long time ago. You can get confirmation by simply ringing the relevant exam board and asking.

That means if you want a change the only option is to resit.

To improve then you need either to do more marked papers to id where you went wrong.
Work with your teacher.
Get a private tutor who understands the difference needed for A* and that's the gap for improvement.

I got a tutor who's an examiner for the same board after my result and whenever I ask her how I could improve the paper to an A* she says ' what you wriote should have got an A*. It's infuriating.shes one of many different teachers/ examiners I approached who said the same thing. I know the grade can't improve, but if multiple sources are telling me it's been badly marked I can't help but feel unlucky ans completely lost on how to improve. And I'm so keen to work towards the resit! I've got things like ' maybe you should make your essays idiot proof'. I don't know how to implement that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
If it's too late to get it remarked there isn't much you can do about it. Would you consider resitting? Do you need this grade for uni?

i missed one of the most excellent Unis in the world because of this.
Original post by Leontine
I got a tutor who's an examiner for the same board after my result and whenever I ask her how I could improve the paper to an A* she says ' what you wriote should have got an A*. It's infuriating.shes one of many different teachers/ examiners I approached who said the same thing. I know the grade can't improve, but if multiple sources are telling me it's been badly marked I can't help but feel unlucky ans completely lost on how to improve. And I'm so keen to work towards the resit! I've got things like ' maybe you should make your essays idiot proof'. I don't know how to implement that.

What did the remark report actually say? I thought the person who remarks is actually a senior examiner, so if the remark made no difference, then that is at least two examiners who thought the same.

Did you ring them at the time about whether they have an appeals process after a remark? I'm not sure they do, but the correct perople to speak to are the exam board. What have you done towards pursuing this firther and why are you asking aboyt it so late?

If you school chose not to take it further then I dont think that would prevent you doing so, but you would have to pay any associated fee.

There are many ways up the mountain. Perhaps you can explore different ways of getting A* as there is a gap between the two. An experienced examiner or teacher should know.
Reply 6
What did the remark report actually say? I thought the person who remarks is actually a senior examiner, so if the remark made no difference, then that is at least two examiners who thought the same.

Did you ring them at the time about whether they have an appeals process after a remark? I'm not sure they do, but the correct perople to speak to are the exam board. What have you done towards pursuing this firther and why are you asking aboyt it so late?

If you school chose not to take it further then I dont think that would prevent you doing so, but you would have to pay any associated fee.

There are many ways up the mountain. Perhaps you can explore different ways of getting A* as there is a gap between the two. An experienced examiner or teacher should know.

The remark went up by 4 makes. This year remarkers could see the grade awarded first, which I perhaps sceptically think is because they don't want no anymore instances where students jump dramatically up and it looks bad on the board. I swear I've approached experienced examiners and teachers and they're just saying improve from where I am now. Because this makes me feel so stuck im just going to challenge myself to write essays which are full marks and send it to a bunch of different examiners on tutor hunt and ensure they allow mark them highly. Literally that's all I can do now. Exams are supposed to be hard, not exam boards :frown:

The reason I'm asking about it now is because I needed more evidence that I was perhaps poorly marked before I appealed, and it took time to get responses from enough sources to take it seriously. There was also as I said issues with my school deciding and I was already so upset about loosing my uni i wanted to let them and my parents worry about it. Then I came to preparing for my resit looking st my script and trying to work out hoenn to st least get an A in the paper, then maybe an A* and I couldn't. So I asked my teacher and got the advice I said earlier. I know there's is nothing I can do now at all except hope I'm luckier next time and continue revising.
The remark went up by 4 makes. This year remarkers could see the grade awarded first, which I perhaps sceptically think is because they don't want no anymore instances where students jump dramatically up and it looks bad on the board. I swear I've approached experienced examiners and teachers and they're just saying improve from where I am now. Because this makes me feel so stuck im just going to challenge myself to write essays which are full marks and send it to a bunch of different examiners on tutor hunt and ensure they allow mark them highly. Literally that's all I can do now. Exams are supposed to be hard, not exam boards :frown:

The reason I'm asking about it now is because I needed more evidence that I was perhaps poorly marked before I appealed, and it took time to get responses from enough sources to take it seriously. There was also as I said issues with my school deciding and I was already so upset about loosing my uni i wanted to let them and my parents worry about it. Then I came to preparing for my resit looking st my script and trying to work out hoenn to st least get an A in the paper, then maybe an A* and I couldn't. So I asked my teacher and got the advice I said earlier. I know there's is nothing I can do now at all except hope I'm luckier next time and continue revising.

You do realise the remark system changed this year?
I thnk what your teacher said was valid. Just figure a more conservative/ reliable way of getting an A. An experienced examiner/ teacher would know the difference.
Reply 8
You do realise the remark system changed this year?
I thnk what your teacher said was valid. Just figure a more conservative/ reliable way of getting an A. An experienced examiner/ teacher would know the difference.

Thank you for your advice. Thankfully I'm being tutored by someone's who has examined the same paper 4 times.
Thank you for your advice. Thankfully I'm being tutored by someone's who has examined the same paper 4 times.

The point is the rules changed and that meant what could eb achieved in remarks also changed. You need to accept whats happened and what they are telling you or go along with the existing stragey, but take the risk. If you have access to all these experienced examiners, then just redo enough papers for them to mark.
Reply 10
The point is the rules changed and that meant what could eb achieved in remarks also changed. You need to accept whats happened and what they are telling you or go along with the existing stragey, but take the risk. If you have access to all these experienced examiners, then just redo enough papers for them to mark.

I have accepted what they're telling me and what's happened. It is these experienced examiners who are telling me I was unlucky in terms of who marked my paper. I'm seeing how to adapt my strategy to make it absolutely fool proof. This is the advice I have got from whoever I have contacted. I will accept there is nothing I can do about it, and strive to do better, but with the knowledge that 5 examiners of the same board I anonymously contacted feel it was poorly marked. Life is unlucky sometimes, I must face it.
I have accepted what they're telling me and what's happened. It is these experienced examiners who are telling me I was unlucky in terms of who marked my paper. I'm seeing how to adapt my strategy to make it absolutely fool proof. This is the advice I have got from whoever I have contacted. I will accept there is nothing I can do about it, and strive to do better, but with the knowledge that 5 examiners of the same board I anonymously contacted feel it was poorly marked. Life is unlucky sometimes, I must face it.

That seems smart. GL.

Quick Reply

Latest