The Student Room Group

When should wedding invites be sent out?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by IKEAPanda37
Same :frown:
Haha, still sounds delicious:biggrin:

No problem :smile: That is very true, I hope your papa is there for your wedding and is ok and I wish you and your partner the very best:h:

Spoiler

Thanks, that really means a lot to me :hugs: my papa is on the transplant list so any day I still have with him is a blessing and we're hoping he gets the call saying they have found a match soon and preferably before the wedding but just have to take it a day at a time :redface:

You're very welcome for the follow :h:
Reply 21
We are having an adult only wedding, so no kids will be there. How do I say this on the invite without coming off as rude, if you know what I mean?
Original post by Spock's Socks
My wedding has been brought forward to July 2017 and I'm unsure when to send out the official invites. I was thinking around Feb 2017? Would that be enough time for people to give in notice to their work for time off and things like that? I want to give them plenty of warning since the wedding will be taking place during peak holiday time but I also don't want to send them out way too early either :colondollar:

I ve sent ours out already and our weddings about 11 months away,I didn't see the harm in it being early since people have to travel a couple of hours to get there.
We are having an adult only wedding, so no kids will be there. How do I say this on the invite without coming off as rude, if you know what I mean?

Do many of your guests have kids? There's a bunch of wedding forums I ve joined but people tend to go for solely writing the people's names on to hunt you don't want anyone else there or putting like a reply slip on it so they can write a number of people there so you can then question it if they re trying to invite extra.
Reply 24
Original post by claireestelle
I ve sent ours out already and our weddings about 11 months away,I didn't see the harm in it being early since people have to travel a couple of hours to get there.

The furthest people would be travelling for mine is about half an hour or up to an hour at most at a push. I think advanced warning for mine would be good since its in the summer holidays though. We are hoping to have the reception venue booked next week at the latest so maybe I should send them out a week or two after that? Maybe I should send the invites out along with peoples Christmas cards this year, would save me having to post things twice :laugh: :teehee:
Reply 25
Do many of your guests have kids? There's a bunch of wedding forums I ve joined but people tend to go for solely writing the people's names on to hunt you don't want anyone else there or putting like a reply slip on it so they can write a number of people there so you can then question it if they re trying to invite extra.

Yeah a few of them do have kids, especially my partner's aunts and uncles that we have invited and I don't have the money to invite all the kids and the rest of our extended families. I'm also worried some people might bring a plus one and again, I can't afford extra guests plus I want to keep the wedding small because of my anxiety.
The furthest people would be travelling for mine is about half an hour or up to an hour at most at a push. I think advanced warning for mine would be good since its in the summer holidays though. We are hoping to have the reception venue booked next week at the latest so maybe I should send them out a week or two after that? Maybe I should send the invites out along with peoples Christmas cards this year, would save me having to post things twice :laugh: :teehee:

Yeah,it being in the summer holidays would be good to give as much notice as you can before people go booking to go on holiday somewhere. I don't really do Christmas cards but that certainly is a savvy idea,I spent £15 in stamps to get all the invites sent out hadn't realised how much they cost. On the plus side the invites were pretty cheap personalised ones that I managed to get off Amazon.
Yeah a few of them do have kids, especially my partner's aunts and uncles that we have invited and I don't have the money to invite all the kids and the rest of our extended families. I'm also worried some people might bring a plus one and again, I can't afford extra guests plus I want to keep the wedding small because of my anxiety.

Are you quite close to them? If you are then I d speak to them personally and explain that you re sorry but you can't have everybody there,people should understand weddings are expensive. We haven't invited all of our aunts and uncles or cousins, I ve had no trouble with that decision so far but Joshua did have to explain to his mum why one her sisters wasn't invited but then turns out the aunt herself wasn't upset at all and was quite understanding. With plus ones, we re just allowing the bridesmaids and groomsman to have them but we do know all of their partners quite well anyway.
Reply 28

Unfortunatly due to venue restrictions no children can be accomodated at the event.
Reply 29
Are save the date cards a common thing to do? I've never heard of them :colondollar: I'm not really clued up on all this wedding etiquette malarkey :laugh:

Save the dates now, full invite a few months beforehand.
Reply 30
Are you quite close to them? If you are then I d speak to them personally and explain that you re sorry but you can't have everybody there,people should understand weddings are expensive. We haven't invited all of our aunts and uncles or cousins, I ve had no trouble with that decision so far but Joshua did have to explain to his mum why one her sisters wasn't invited but then turns out the aunt herself wasn't upset at all and was quite understanding. With plus ones, we re just allowing the bridesmaids and groomsman to have them but we do know all of their partners quite well anyway.

Random question, don't know if you have the same worry but are you worried about people posting pics of you on your wedding day before you do? If you don't have social media then maybe it wouldn't be a worry but I would find it wrong for family or friends who couldn't make it to my wedding to see me and my partner's outfits and what's gone on during the day from someone else's Facebook posts. Maybe I'm reading too much into it :colondollar:

To me it's like with pregnancy and birth, the couple should announce and post about, not anyone else. I don't mind people making posts like "off to Yasmin and Callan's wedding" or things like that, of course. It's just if they upload pics of me or Callan without asking or before we post anything.

Probably reading way too much into everything as usual :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Random question, don't know if you have the same worry but are you worried about people posting pics of you on your wedding day before you do? If you don't have social media then maybe it wouldn't be a worry but I would find it wrong for family or friends who couldn't make it to my wedding to see me and my partner's outfits and what's gone on during the day from someone else's Facebook posts. Maybe I'm reading too much into it :colondollar:

To me it's like with pregnancy and birth, the couple should announce and post about, not anyone else. I don't mind people making posts like "off to Yasmin and Callan's wedding" or things like that, of course. It's just if they upload pics of me or Callan without asking or before we post anything.

Probably reading way too much into everything as usual :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well at the moment we aren't planning on a photographer (may change my mind but I don't like the idea of someone having the rights over having photos of our wedding day and I don't want me to be photoshopped:tongue:) so I m completely happy to have people post them on social media but then I don't have any friends on there that aren't invited so it shouldn't cause issues really and josh will have spoken to anyone that's bothered about not being invited.
If we were having our first child it would be very different :tongue: if it's worrying you,isn't there a Facebook setting which makes you have to approve any tags of yourselves? I m not sure if it's popular in the UK but look up unplugged ceremonies if you re worried about people uploading things:smile:
Reply 32
Well at the moment we aren't planning on a photographer (may change my mind but I don't like the idea of someone having the rights over having photos of our wedding day and I don't want me to be photoshopped:tongue:) so I m completely happy to have people post them on social media but then I don't have any friends on there that aren't invited so it shouldn't cause issues really and josh will have spoken to anyone that's bothered about not being invited.
If we were having our first child it would be very different :tongue: if it's worrying you,isn't there a Facebook setting which makes you have to approve any tags of yourselves? I m not sure if it's popular in the UK but look up unplugged ceremonies if you re worried about people uploading things:smile:

We're not having a photographer either :colondollar: I recently bought a DSLR camera to help me get back into pet and wildlife photography and we're planning on just using that. We can pass it around people and we have a tripod to get group pics. At the reception though when most of us ate drunk, we'll just use our phones though :laugh: my friend's sister was going to do our photography but Callan wants to do and editing them afterwards will give him an interest plus it saves a bit of money.

Ah yeah, I think you can review tags. I'll check that out :smile: it's amazing the little things you worry and obsess over when it comes to a wedding or maybe that's just me :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
We're not having a photographer either :colondollar: I recently bought a DSLR camera to help me get back into pet and wildlife photography and we're planning on just using that. We can pass it around people and we have a tripod to get group pics. At the reception though when most of us ate drunk, we'll just use our phones though :laugh: my friend's sister was going to do our photography but Callan wants to do and editing them afterwards will give him an interest plus it saves a bit of money.

Ah yeah, I think you can review tags. I'll check that out :smile: it's amazing the little things you worry and obsess over when it comes to a wedding or maybe that's just me :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Using your DSLR and tripod is a brilliant idea:smile: I think editing them yourselves will give it a lovely personal touch:smile: I think it's a normal bride thing to worry about details,I think it's me being strange for being so chill so far:tongue: I guess I don't need it to be a perfect day,if I get down the aisle without falling over then the days a success for me:smile:
Reply 34
Using your DSLR and tripod is a brilliant idea:smile: I think editing them yourselves will give it a lovely personal touch:smile: I think it's a normal bride thing to worry about details,I think it's me being strange for being so chill so far:tongue: I guess I don't need it to be a perfect day,if I get down the aisle without falling over then the days a success for me:smile:

You're so lucky you're chilled out! :laugh: I stress out and obsess over the slightest little thing when it comes to planning anything be it a small day out or huge thing like a wedding :colondollar:
I'm worried about tripping down the aisle too :teehee: my grandparents are giving me away and my mum will be walking down behind us and my grandparents both have rheumatoid arthritis so we'll have to walk a bit slower so that is kind of calming my fears about falling, that and the fact I wont be wearing heels. I'd sooner wear crocs or slippers :laugh: I am worried about messing up my lines though. Public talking doesn't scare me when I can make up what I say and go at my own pace but when I have to recite something word for word, that's when I'll muck up and no doubt swear or something :colondollar: :laugh:
You're so lucky you're chilled out! :laugh: I stress out and obsess over the slightest little thing when it comes to planning anything be it a small day out or huge thing like a wedding :colondollar:
I'm worried about tripping down the aisle too :teehee: my grandparents are giving me away and my mum will be walking down behind us and my grandparents both have rheumatoid arthritis so we'll have to walk a bit slower so that is kind of calming my fears about falling, that and the fact I wont be wearing heels. I'd sooner wear crocs or slippers :laugh: I am worried about messing up my lines though. Public talking doesn't scare me when I can make up what I say and go at my own pace but when I have to recite something word for word, that's when I'll muck up and no doubt swear or something :colondollar: :laugh:

I think tripping down the aisle is a common fear, going without heels is a good choice,you want to be comfortable on your big day not hurting your feet. We don't like public speaking so we re going for the shortest vows possible,just under 60 words. I m sure registrars are used to people being nervous with vows,I m going to try and forget we re surrounded by people and just focus on getting through the legal part then we can enjoy the rest of the day and married lives together.
Customary is 6 months before I am getting married in march so sent mine out in a couple of months ago. Its good to get them sorted as early as possible as can be stressful trying to chase people who don't get back to you. Plus once you have the confirmed numbers you are able to get better quotes of food costs, seating etc... :biggrin:
Reply 37
My cousin gets married around the same time as you, I got a save the date card in 2015.

That said, I sacked off her sister's wedding to go see Chumbawamba, so 2 years notice is understandable.
At least three months is usual - this gives people plenty of time. It's customary nowadays to send a 'save the date' pre-invitation any time up to 9 months before the date of the actual wedding.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 39
Thanks everyone for the tips. We've decided on late Feb to send them out :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending