The Student Room Group

Students - free medication or do we pay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Seamus123
Ive been on Levothyroxine for years and if you're on that its free.

Hence why I asked OP if they were :tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by claireestelle
Do you mean a hc2 certificate:tongue: ?
I think for me it's because I had plenty left after my rental costs and savings whereas many students wouldn't.

Oops :redface: Yeah...one of them :tongue: The OP could definitely look at HC2 certificate :smile:
Original post by PandaWho
unless things have changed over the past few years this is wrong. I received free prescriptions at uni from the HC1 scheme and recieved quite a bit from student finance.
It goes on personal income not family income. Its worth applying no matter what the outcome as you dont lose anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm. I guess I may have been informed wrong then. Thanks for adding that.
Yes it's deffinately worth OP trying any possibility anyway since it seems to depend on individual situation so anybody on here might be wrong for them, and all it is is some paperwork.
Original post by AJP98
For real?? Oh grim

There is a standard cost of about £8 something for any prescription in England (not sure about the rest of the UK). Certian things are seen as essential though and you can get them for free or be exempt from any prescription costs because of certian health conditions. It's also free for specific groups like children in fulltime education, veterans, I believe the elderly, people on low income.
You also have to pay fixed charges for NHS dental treatment. It's divided into tiers and the cheapest is about £15.

At least the rest of medical care is free though, and £8 is a hell of a lot cheaper than it could be. I've heard of antidepresans setting people back hundreds in the states which would really suck.
Original post by Kindred
Hmm. I guess I may have been informed wrong then. Thanks for adding that.
Yes it's deffinately worth OP trying any possibility anyway since it seems to depend on individual situation so anybody on here might be wrong for them, and all it is is some paperwork.

Yeah its completely free to get a form and send off and the OP wont be in a worse situation if they say no cis they akready have to pay.

Iv recently applied for one but gotta wait for universal credit to send me my next statement! Urgh.

Hope i get it though cis its looking like med free 2017 wont be happening :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
Yeah its completely free to get a form and send off and the OP wont be in a worse situation if they say no cis they akready have to pay.

Iv recently applied for one but gotta wait for universal credit to send me my next statement! Urgh.

Hope i get it though cis its looking like med free 2017 wont be happening :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:console: Well it's more important that you're happy and health so med free 2017 is no biggie.
I guess you know about pre-payment if free doesn't work out? Saved me a boat load before my thyroid came along. :smile:
Original post by claireestelle
It's not hyperparathyroidism/is the medication levothyroxine you have per chance? Ask for an NHS receipt when you go just in case you are exempt.

Ooh no
I'm on carbimozole for overactive thyroid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Ooh no
I'm on carbimozole for overactive thyroid

Posted from TSR Mobile

I m afraid that's not an exempt medicine,get yourself a prepayment medication.
Reply 28
Scotland and N.Ireland is where it's at for free prescriptions. If I had to pay for all the medication changes I go through, I would be so poor.

Quick Reply

Latest