The Student Room Group

Why do guys stop women in the middle of the road?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Judge Jules
Thanks, I was worried about what resonse i was going to get but i do understand how most women find it annoying sometimes as i do too but only if it's a man i don't like but i try to understand that men are nervous too before approaching women and had to pluck up the courage to do it and they have to worry about if a woman is going to be nice or nasty to them just for trying.
But all i can do is tell everyone about some of the good experiences that i have had that have come from it.

Yehh thats true. Guess we have to see it from the guys point of view too. Gosh fpdating sounds a right handful lol
Original post by Judge Jules
It's not thirsty or creepy because men have always approached me this way and some of them have been really good looking, infact i met a model just walking down the street 6 months ago. I was really flattered but obviously if you do not like the look of someone you will think it's creepy but if it is someone you like and you end up being in a long relationship with them or friends then you will be glad they had the balls to aporoach you or you would never have met.
It's perfectly harmless and a great way to meet someone.
Not everyone has success meeting someone in clubs, bars, speed dating, Tinder and other social media so just asking a woman out on the street does work for some people. An ex friend met her fiance this way.
But i do hate the disgusting men who do it just so they can ask for a one night stand or say they do not want a relationship, just fun. I hate men who do that but if they are genuine and want a serious relationship/ girlfriend then there is nothing wrong with taking the chance.
Men are always saying hi to me too, but these men are all ages and old men but sometimes they do not try to follow it up with a conversation so i do find that weird because what is the point of that ? Although i am always glad they do not try to talk more after saying hi if i do not fancy them.

He was persistent because he was hoping you would change your mind or at least get your number
When men are persistent and will not go away i just lie and say i have a boyfriend but men are so stupid they will say well we can be just friends then i tell them my boyfriend would not like it but they still keep persisting. Those one's that can't take no for an answer are the idiots that get on my nerves but as long as they are polite or respectful then it's ok. I do not like men who get angry if i say no then start shouting do you think you are better than me ? But that only happened to me once and this is why sometimes i have to lie to them by saying i have a boyfriend so they will go away.
But i hate security guards asking me out because i feel uncomfortable to go back to the shop because i have to have a conversation with them every time i go there.
But if a man asks me out on the street i do not always see them again or i can avoid them by crossing the road

It stops being harmless as soon as a girl starts feeling uncomfortable in that situation.

Men who can't take "no" for an answer or respect other people's opinions are gross.
Reply 42
Original post by Foo.mp3

Spoiler

Haha! Your point is completely contradictory, because you already know that you are talking to someone who gets cat called a lot, as that's what this conversation is about. Yet also I'm apparently a 'feminazi', so your theory about me being avoidable by my looking like a feminazi doesn't really work.

I do quite often get this reaction: 'You're a feminist? No you're not! Seriously? I never thought you were a feminist!'

Sorry, we're not always so easy to pick out, much to the surprise of the guys who receive my verbal backlash when they try and catcall me.
Abc you raise some valid points. What annoys me the most is the good sweet guys lack the courage to ask a girl but then you get these alpha male type who think they can get every girl on the planet and then stalks the shy/fearful girl just because she had a pretty face and eont stop at nothing. I was being all smiley just to came myself from having a panic attack. Being attractive, with social anxiety makes beauty a curse.
Original post by Foo.mp3
75% of girls wouldn’t typically be interested in anything that came out of their mouths anyway, and the majority of the remainder of those girls wouldn’t stick around with such a guy in a relationship anyway. Women tend to respond favourably to a fairly clear set of qualities, and demure/beta ‘nice guy’ attributes don’t typically feature highly therein. #RealTalk

Entitled douchebros are a pain, but let’s not get it twisted, the two groups you’ve described are both, mercifully, small minorities

Best advice in this situation is simple, whether you fancy them or not: always remember to breathe! :redface:

Nice guys do feature highly if a woman is looking for a life long partner. I don't date guys if I don't see a potential of marrying them in the end. I guess I lie in the minority of girls but I myself have seen some cute, nice, smart men who are not used to approaching girls, so the less good looking girls have a stronger personality to make up for the lack of good looks and approach those kind of men and they live happily but there comes other girls like me who are seen as good looking, however don't intiate things and then the alpha males come way too strong on us and don't understand the social cues to back off when someone doesn't reciprocate back or can't take no for an answer.
Reply 45
Original post by abc:)
Haha! Your point is completely contradictory, because you already know that you are talking to someone who gets cat called a lot, as that's what this conversation is about. Yet also I'm apparently a 'feminazi', so your theory about me being avoidable by my looking like a feminazi doesn't really work.

I do quite often get this reaction: 'You're a feminist? No you're not! Seriously? I never thought you were a feminist!'

Sorry, we're not always so easy to pick out, much to the surprise of the guys who receive my verbal backlash when they try and catcall me.

Sorry, but I do not think swearing and cussing out men who catcall you is going to make any difference in the long run.

obviously there is something about your appearance which is evoking men to sometimes catcall you. It could be your face, your body, clothes or a mix of all 3

I'm not trying to say to say it's your fault or you are dressing inappropriately or like a tart or anything, but obviously it must be your appearance. Certain appearances will envoke a reaction in people.

your only hope of it stopping [realistically] is a drastic change of appearance, and even then there are no guarantees.
Reply 46
Original post by Anonymous
Nice guys do feature highly if a woman is looking for a life long partner. I don't date guys if I don't see a potential of marrying them in the end. I guess I lie in the minority of girls but I myself have seen some cute, nice, smart men who are not used to approaching girls, so the less good looking girls have a stronger personality to make up for the lack of good looks and approach those kind of men and they live happily but there comes other girls like me who are seen as good looking, however don't intiate things and then the alpha males come way too strong on us and don't understand the social cues to back off when someone doesn't reciprocate back or can't take no for an answer.

I agree with Foo.mp3 on this.

being a "nice guy" won't get a guy very far unless he's got other traits such as good looks to go with it.

having a "good personality" is the most over hyped desirable trait out there by far.
Original post by saraxh
It's kinda creepy when a guy who looks around 50 says hi to me on the street.

I'm 27 and I'd definitely say hi to you if I saw you on the street. :h: That said, in some cultures such as North America it's almost rude not to say hi to someone just casually walking past them so I wouldn't read in to it too much.
Original post by Anonymous
I was going home this evening and this guy who thought we shared a 'moment' had stopped me and tried to start a conversation with me like telling me I looked exotic, asking me what I was studying, where I'm from ect. He seemed so full of energy, you wouldn't think he is creepy or anything. However, I had become this utterly shy person when I spoke to him, didn't seem confident and I told him I'm not active on social media because he wanted to be just "friends" on fb and that he would be so lucky if he just got a hi from me. He's a charmer and experienced but I was being polite and shy but he kept persisting in a non threatening way, i don't know why guys can't just leave girls alone at this point? when it wasn't getting anyway he went off and said have a good night. I could tell he was trying to sell himself to me..when I left it felt like such a relief!

Because he might have had a shot and if you don't try you don't get.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ANM775

being a "nice guy" won't get a guy very far unless he's got other traits such as good looks to go with it.

having a "good personality" is the most over hyped desirable trait out there by far.

In my opinion, guys don't have to be good looking, as long as he is acceptable looking in my eyes with a good personality then it's all good. If I feel that we have a lot in common then that is enough to attract me. Good looks is a bonus but no one is perfect lol.
Original post by ANM775

Not for all. I mean, my bf of two years is really a 5 out of 10 and the only real reason I'm with him is that he's nice. Autistic as ****, but sweet, nice, caring and funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Not for all. I mean, my bf of two years is really a 5 out of 10 and the only real reason I'm with him is that he's nice. Autistic as ****, but sweet, nice, caring and funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes!

I have hope :tongue:

Original post by ANM775

I don't understand men who get wound up by this. It is far more of a problem for women. Men seem to be more physical looks based when choosing a partner than women are. Stop moaning about it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Yes!

I have hope :tongue:

I don't understand men who get wound up by this. It is far more of a problem for women. Men seem to be more physical looks based when choosing a partner than women are. Stop moaning about it.

We get wound up by it because saying "nice guys finish last" implies you like being treated like ****. The alternative is being super hot. This makes no sense.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Because they're idiots and weirdos.

I spotted the feminist
Original post by Dominator1
I spotted the feminist

Well, it shows you can read, as you obviously went onto my profile.

Congrats, on being able to read. :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Well, it shows you can read, as you obviously when on my profile.

Congrats, on being able to read. :h:

Thank you, I pride myself on being able to read. Also I didn't go on your profile, although I have seen the same type of comments from you on TSR before which lead me to the conclusion you read.
Thank you, I pride myself on being able to read. Also I didn't go on your profile, although I have seen the same type of comments from you on TSR before which lead me to the conclusion you read.

Course you didn't.

Comments like what? :h:
Course you didn't.

Comments like what? :h:

I can't remember the exact comments, but I remember you bashing on someone for arguing with you about a feminist issue.
I can't remember the exact comments, but I remember you bashing on someone for arguing with you about a feminist issue.

'Bashing on someone', yeah, I only do that if they express any rudeness toward me, otherwise, I think the word you're looking for is 'debating'. Also, you could give me more of clue what it was about, as it could have been the troll that keeps harassing me. :tongue:
'Bashing on someone', yeah, I only do that if they express any rudeness toward me, otherwise, I think the word you're looking for is 'debating'. Also, you could give me more of clue what it was about, as it could have been the troll that keeps harassing me. :tongue:

Nah, you were enraged, he was trying to debate. I honestly cannot remember what it was about, I've seen too many feminist posts/comments so I can't exactly recall which one it was.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending