The Student Room Group

How Do I Convince My School To Change My Group 1 Language Subject

Hey friends!

I am currently two months into IB and I want to do medicine in the UK for university. It's already three weeks past our school's internal deadline to change subjects but I have only recently got my parents to agree which is why I have been desperately wanting to change my subjects now. I am changing from SL Chinese A Lit to HL Chinese B. It has to do with the Academic rigor and the fact that I want higher grades to apply for medicine. Right now I have been getting 4's and I got an A for GCSE first lang chinese but that was because it was easy and it was pure language, no literature. I have never done literature before and although I am Chinese and speak Chinese at home, I haven't properly studied in a Chinese local school since Grade 6 (when I was 11 basically) or anywhere about Chinese Lit ever in my life. (I go to an international school abroad at the moment) So it's been difficult and I'd rather take 4 HLs instead of having to suffer through Chinese.

Here are the subjects I'm taking right now:
HL Biology
HL Chemistry
HL Math
SL English Lit
SL Chinese A (what I have been trying to switch out of)
SL Psych

My school don't have a problem with people taking four HLs as long as the 4th HL is a language. What they are concerned is that I wouldn't be "academically challenged" and they have some weird policies about allocations of subject levels based on IGCSE grades. (honestly, it's ******** because my malaysian friend who also took SL Chinese A with me in the beginning, got an A last year for IGCSE but the school allowed her to drop down to HL B)

I have reasoned with the school on possibly every single reason and now i just really hate chinese lit to the point of pure annoyance. even got my parents to arrange meetings with head of grades and chinese teacher. They are gonna have another meeting this thursday. So anyone has any ideas on what else i can say to possibly convince them? literally i dont know what else i could do so would really appreciate any advice tbh

THANKS <3 much love xx
Original post by novialong
Hey friends!

I am currently two months into IB and I want to do medicine in the UK for university. It's already three weeks past our school's internal deadline to change subjects but I have only recently got my parents to agree which is why I have been desperately wanting to change my subjects now. I am changing from SL Chinese A Lit to HL Chinese B. It has to do with the Academic rigor and the fact that I want higher grades to apply for medicine. Right now I have been getting 4's and I got an A for GCSE first lang chinese but that was because it was easy and it was pure language, no literature. I have never done literature before and although I am Chinese and speak Chinese at home, I haven't properly studied in a Chinese local school since Grade 6 (when I was 11 basically) or anywhere about Chinese Lit ever in my life. (I go to an international school abroad at the moment) So it's been difficult and I'd rather take 4 HLs instead of having to suffer through Chinese.

Here are the subjects I'm taking right now:
HL Biology
HL Chemistry
HL Math
SL English Lit
SL Chinese A (what I have been trying to switch out of)
SL Psych

My school don't have a problem with people taking four HLs as long as the 4th HL is a language. What they are concerned is that I wouldn't be "academically challenged" and they have some weird policies about allocations of subject levels based on IGCSE grades. (honestly, it's ******** because my malaysian friend who also took SL Chinese A with me in the beginning, got an A last year for IGCSE but the school allowed her to drop down to HL B)

I have reasoned with the school on possibly every single reason and now i just really hate chinese lit to the point of pure annoyance. even got my parents to arrange meetings with head of grades and chinese teacher. They are gonna have another meeting this thursday. So anyone has any ideas on what else i can say to possibly convince them? literally i dont know what else i could do so would really appreciate any advice tbh

THANKS <3 much love xx

One of my friends did this... she had to literally beg the teachers to drop and now the teachers hate her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by wolfmoon88
One of my friends did this... she had to literally beg the teachers to drop and now the teachers hate her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

HAHAH omg thats tragic..did she manage to change in the end tho?
HAHAH omg thats tragic..did she manage to change in the end tho?

Yeah she did... it took her forever, she had to meet with almost every single teacher in the department... but now she has a predicted 7 so she said it was worth it :smile: I think it would be easier if you try taking it for this year then switching to HL B next year. Or you can tell them that you haven't taken lit for a long time. It worked for me when I asked to be put into SL B instead of A :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yeah she did... it took her forever, she had to meet with almost every single teacher in the department... but now she has a predicted 7 so she said it was worth it I think it would be easier if you try taking it for this year then switching to HL B next year. Or you can tell them that you haven't taken lit for a long time. It worked for me when I asked to be put into SL B instead of A

Posted from TSR Mobile

i wouldn't mind taking it this year and dropping it down later just so i can prove it to them that lit is not for me, however, changing to HL B at one point would mean changing my timetable for other subjects as well, such as English, which every english class is reading a different book. (and i need time to catch up) so the only opportunity that i need to hang on to is changing it right now. i have tried telling them multiple times that i have never taken lit before..but again, kinda the situation of my whole chinese A class..and someone got a lower grade than me and my teacher seems very hopeful for everyone's progress...sorry im ranting but it was a great relief to hear that someone did succeed in this..

and is your friend fluent in chinese?

thanks a lot for the motivation btw
i wouldn't mind taking it this year and dropping it down later just so i can prove it to them that lit is not for me, however, changing to HL B at one point would mean changing my timetable for other subjects as well, such as English, which every english class is reading a different book. (and i need time to catch up) so the only opportunity that i need to hang on to is changing it right now. i have tried telling them multiple times that i have never taken lit before..but again, kinda the situation of my whole chinese A class..and someone got a lower grade than me and my teacher seems very hopeful for everyone's progress...sorry im ranting but it was a great relief to hear that someone did succeed in this..

and is your friend fluent in chinese?

thanks a lot for the motivation btw

May I ask which part of Asia are you in? Yeah my friend is Singaporean and she's fluent in Chinese. Technically we are all fluent in Chinese, just whether we can write well or not :tongue:

Yeah, I would suggest trying everything you can now and then if it is not a success try next year. I mean if you want to do medicine, you know you have to have stellar grades :smile: sorry I can't help more other than provide success stories of people who have done it before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
May I ask which part of Asia are you in? Yeah my friend is Singaporean and she's fluent in Chinese. Technically we are all fluent in Chinese, just whether we can write well or not

Yeah, I would suggest trying everything you can now and then if it is not a success try next year. I mean if you want to do medicine, you know you have to have stellar grades sorry I can't help more other than provide success stories of people who have done it before

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha im full chinese but i live in singapore! What a coincidence lmao😂 No worries i still appreciate ur help, success stories are better than nothing
Haha im full chinese but i live in singapore! What a coincidence lmao😂 No worries i still appreciate ur help, success stories are better than nothing

Good luck on your long and hard IB road :tongue: and no problem, glad I can help in some shape or form :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending