The Student Room Group

Are my subject choices good but too stressful?

My subjects are english language, biology, chemistry, math and art and design
would I die from the workload? Lol, if so should I drop one subject?
Reply 1
Personally I always recommend giving it a go and dropping something if it's too much. The workload will be insane though with this combination. Some of the choices seem pretty random though. Are you unsure of what area you want to go into? Considering you're doing sciences, maths, art and english. While the maths goes well with science, art and english seem out of place.
Original post by Nadile
Personally I always recommend giving it a go and dropping something if it's too much. The workload will be insane though with this combination. Some of the choices seem pretty random though. Are you unsure of what area you want to go into? Considering you're doing sciences, maths, art and english. While the maths goes well with science, art and english seem out of place.

Yeah, I don't know what area should I go into :frown:
Why do you need to do five A Levels? Even Oxbridge only want three...
Original post by Reality Check
Why do you need to do five A Levels? Even Oxbridge only want three...

I just thought that I should keep my options open.
Original post by Mercedesthebest

Fair enough but 5 really is a bit over the top - you're making an awful lot of work for yourself. Can you narrow it down at all - even in a broad 'arts or science' way?
Original post by Reality Check
Fair enough but 5 really is a bit over the top - you're making an awful lot of work for yourself. Can you narrow it down at all - even in a broad 'arts or science' way?

Yeah you're right, should I get rid of arts and design then?
Reply 7

The sciences and maths alone give you a ton of options.

I think you should look up what your subjects include to get an idea of which options you want to keep open.
Yeah you're right, should I get rid of arts and design then?

Well, if you're really not looking at a future career or university course that would necessitate Arts & Design and you want to cull an A level then yes, this would be the obvious place to start, but you need to weigh up how well you think you'll do in it, what it could possibly lead to etc before making final decision on what to cut and what to retain.
To be honest, I want to be an interior designer, but still am not 100% sure, hence, the subject choices lol
I am only doing 3 courses in my first year (maths, chemistry and physics) because my college insisted that everyone takes 3 courses and sticks to those three A-levels. This was mainly because they saw taking 4 in the first year then dropping one in the second year as a waste of time (which I completely agree with) If you really wanted to do 4 then they were looking for you to have exceptional GCSE results.

For you, I'd say drop one subject at least. Universities will only ever ask for 3 and having 4 doesn't actually make any difference in terms of getting a place on a uni course.

Consider your future. Where do you want to be and how do you want to get there. I know you want to keep your options open but in 2 years time you'll need to pick a degree or go find a job.

PERSONALLY, I'd narrow my options down and focus my subjects onto that area. E.g., in my personal situation, I want to do engineering so I say scrap the other subjects I wanted to do (economics, geography...) and do maths, physics and chemistry.

Another option you could consider is to yes keep your options open. However, you do run the risk of getting to a point saying "I want to do this now" but don't have the appropriate qualifications to do so which is why I'd personally recommend narrowing down your options now.

Keep maths though :biggrin: maths is bae

Quick Reply

Latest