The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE re take for Sixth Former

I failed my maths gcse in year 11 and have failed every time since, I'm currently at sixth form in my last year, taking my maths exam (AGAIN) in a couple of days. If I fail again this time, do I have to continue on until next summer? I really feel like it distracting me from my a levels
I'm pretty sure you have to keep studying maths until you're 18 if you've failed the GCSE. Then once you're 18 you can stop. That's just my understanding of it! Good luck for your exam :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sussexstudent123
I failed my maths gcse in year 11 and have failed every time since, I'm currently at sixth form in my last year, taking my maths exam (AGAIN) in a couple of days. If I fail again this time, do I have to continue on until next summer? I really feel like it distracting me from my a levels

You can stop when you turn 18 :smile:

However, I would really advise you to keep trying and trying, as getting a C in GCSE Maths will open a lot of doors for you

Good luck ~
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by sussexstudent123

I wanted to do it this week aswell I didn't fail maths but want todo better, but I thought to myself I should do it when I'm ready so I'll be doing it in summer I know it'll be with alevels (same day as my sociology exam) but you rather do well in an exam than do rubbish and be prepared for the alevel exams and your GCSE maths. Or do it this week and if you fail yoy can always do it again in summer because it's the last chance for the sitting
Hope this helps :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by goal101
I wanted to do it this week aswell I didn't fail maths but want todo better, but I thought to myself I should do it when I'm ready so I'll be doing it in summer I know it'll be with alevels (same day as my sociology exam) but you rather do well in an exam than do rubbish and be prepared for the alevel exams and your GCSE maths. Or do it this week and if you fail yoy can always do it again in summer because it's the last chance for the sitting
Hope this helps :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you get a C in Maths and are aiming for a B?
Reply 5
Original post by AshEntropy
Did you get a C in Maths and are aiming for a B?

Yeah pretty much lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by goal101
Yeah pretty much lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know a lot of people at my sixth form that did that :smile: Good luck
Reply 7
Original post by AshEntropy
I know a lot of people at my sixth form that did that :smile: Good luck

Aww thankyou do you know how they revised? Or anything because tbh I'm finding it hard to do my Alevel work and GCSE maths :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by goal101
Aww thankyou do you know how they revised? Or anything because tbh I'm finding it hard to do my Alevel work and GCSE maths :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of people that I knew used to sit during their study periods, print out the GCSE Mathematics specification and do a little every study period and tick off each part of the specification.
You really do have to get your Maths GCSE. I guess you are a reluctant mathematician. I was too but managed to get it by some fluke. It is not a distraction from your A levels - that's just an excuse not to do it or an excuse you'll use when your A level results are not good enough.

Not having maths will haunt you for ever. You need to spend half an hour every day going through your work - get up half an hour early and do it before school. Do you have a good text book? Get the past papers from your Exam Board and work through them until you know the answers backwards! Get a copy of the examiners' reports and see what they say lets people like you down.

Have you got your exam technique off pat? or do you spend too much time pondering about questions you're not sure of so that you don't even finish the paper. The best advice is to to work right through the paper doing those questions that seem straightforward to you and then go back and tackle those that need more thought.
Im attending college to study for my maths gcse at Thursday nights as I'm at school studying my A-levels.. In the class there are nurses, builders, bussiness people as well as a sport scientist! So dont worry, you are not alone, good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest