The Student Room Group

University applicants 2017 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Course: Theoretical Physics Msci or MPhys
Universities: University of Birmingham, Durham, St Andrews, University of York and University of Glasgow
GCSE grades: 3 A*s 2 A's 4 B's 1 C
AS grades achieved: AAAB in Physics, Maths, Computer Science and History respectively.
A2 grades predicted: A*A*A in Physics, Maths and Computer Science respectively.
Extra curricular: In a few bands playing lead electric guitar. Prefect. Write physics articles for fun and read physics material such as books.
Other: Doing an AS in further maths this year and have a prediction of A for that.
Offers: Glasgow with a conditional of AAB
Original post by btea
I have applied for Philosophy at Cambridge! How are you feeling about Oxbridge interviews? I went to a preparation day at Keble college the other week and the most important thing that I learnt was to precisely define the terms in the question before even attempting to answer (e.g justified) They also advised that you offer an answer, criticise your answer and then critique that criticism, as it were.

I'm feeling quite nervous as it stands but I'm frantically reading so hopefully will feel a little more prepared in December! How about you? Ah thanks that's really useful, I'll take note, haha.
Original post by CutieTootsie
Yup! Slowly losing my will to keep calm and carry on - BMAT prep is slowing me down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did it go for you? I swear I died a little inside...
I'm applying to:
Leicester
Nottingham
Leeds
Bath
Reading

The course I want to do is French and Politics. At Leicester and Nottingham, I'll do beginner's Spanish as well!

My predicted grades are three As. I sent my application off yesterday and I'm just waiting for offers!
Original post by rosalinedk
How did it go for you? I swear I died a little inside...

Mate, past tense for me.
I.am.dead.
Final Chapter:
Liverpool, asking for 32 IB points at least a 5 in Maths(S/L)
Manchester, asking for 32 IB points, 6,6,6 in higher level subjects and at least a 5 in English
Sheffield, asking for 36 IB points, 6,6,6 in higher level subjects and at least a 5 in English
Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU), asking for 26 IB points
Leeds, asking for 35 IB points, 6,6,5 in higher level subjects and at least a 4 in English

So that is 5 out 5.
I will take my time to firm. Leaning towards Liverpool and Manchester.
Original post by emwanza
Final Chapter:
Liverpool, asking for 32 IB points at least a 5 in Maths(S/L)
Manchester, asking for 32 IB points, 6,6,6 in higher level subjects and at least a 5 in English
Sheffield, asking for 36 IB points, 6,6,6 in higher level subjects and at least a 5 in English
Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU), asking for 26 IB points
Leeds, asking for 35 IB points, 6,6,5 in higher level subjects and at least a 4 in English

So that is 5 out 5.
I will take my time to firm. Leaning towards Liverpool and Manchester.

Don't pick a firm until April. There's no advantage to picking early - it just removes your ability to change your mind over the next 6 months.
Course: History, or Archaeology & Ancient History and History (joint honours)
Universities: Birmingham, Derby, Bangor
GCSE grades: A* AAAABBBBC and a Distinction in BTEC music
AS grades (predicted/achieved): Predicted: BBBB. Achieved:ABCD
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): Predicted: AABB (inc. EPQ)
Extra curricular: Archery, DofE Bronze, student ambassadors, I've won several local writing competitions,

Offers: ALL RECEIVED AS OF 1/12
EDITS:
Bangor - received 16/11; conditional 104 UCAS points in 2 A levels
Derby - Received 17/11; Conditional, but unconditional if I make it my firm. :happy2:
Birmingham - History; AAB, or ABB if I get an A in the EPQ
- Archaeology & ancient history, and history (Joint) - ABB, or ABC with an A in the EPQ <<--- my preferred choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Name: Chloe
Course: Computer Science
Where? Newcastle, Northumbria, Loughborough and Sheffield
GCSE Grades + subjects: A* French, A* Maths, A* Further Maths, A Latin, A German, A Biology, A Chemistry, A Physics, B Geography, B Computing, B English Lit, B English Lang
AS grades+Subjects: A in Maths but hoping to resit C1 in order to push up my UMS as I only just scraped a B, C in French (dropped at A2), C in Chemistry, C in Computer Science and D in General Studies
A2 Predicted/Achieved: ABB but hoping to achieve A*AB
Extra curricular: Cadets, volunteering, summer schools, DofE, Peer mentoring, teaching myself guitar and keyboard, play in a marching band. Gaining BTECs in Aviation Studies and Music :smile:
Offers? Application sent 21st Oct. Offer from Northumbria: 21st Oct - 120 UCAS Points
Acknowledgements from Northmbria, Newcastle and Loughborough on the 22nd
Offer from Loughborough on the 24th - ABB
Acknowledgement from Sheffield on the 24th Oct
Newcastle invitation to Comp Sci Admissions Day, no offer yet but I'm applying through PARTNERS so it might take a bit longer anyways.
Name: Vic
Course: Economics, Economics and politics
Where: Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Bath, King's
GCSEs: 4A*,4A,1B
IB (predicted): 41-42/45
Offers: Bath 36(6,6,7 include HL maths), Warwick 38(4 in HL maths)
Name: Sabitha
Course: Law (going to do the foundation year)
Where? West London, Greenwich, St mary, GSM London, London school of business and management
GCSE Grades + subjects: 1 A, 1.5B, 4C
AS grades+Subjects:D in English, C in Media Studies
A2 Predicted/Achieved: CC. I'm also studying an As level as well.
Extra curricular: Student librarian, helped in primary schools, etc
Offers? Sent application 21st Oct.
St mary (112 pts)
West London (72 pts)
GSM London (want me to pass my As so at least grade E)
London school of business and management (unconditional)
Received my third unconditional offer for postgraduate study :h:
Original post by PQ
Don't pick a firm until April. There's no advantage to picking early - it just removes your ability to change your mind over the next 6 months.

Thanks for the advice
Reply 633
Course: Politics
Universities: Birmingham, Newcastle, Queens Belfast, Southampton and Lancaster
GCSE grades: 5A's 5B's and a C
AS grades (predicted/achieved): A in Law and a D in Gov & Pol (retaking Unit 2 as I messed up the exam)
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): AAB predicted but aiming for AAA
Extra curricular: Nothing really
Received all 5 of my offers so now I can stop constantly refreshing track! Now to get my 3As!
Original post by notonlyme
Received all 5 of my offers so now I can stop constantly refreshing track! Now to get my 3As!

Important advice heere about making Firm/Insurance choices here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices

The most important bit is that there is no need to rush into making choices right now - you have months to make this decision!
Original post by returnmigrant
Important advice heere about making Firm/Insurance choices here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices

The most important bit is that there is no need to rush into making choices right now - you have months to make this decision!

Thanks for the advice but don't worry; I wasn't planning on making any final decisions for a good couple of months although I do have some idea of my firm and insurance.
Course: Natural Science
Universities: Bath, Durham, Lancaster, Nottingham, York
GCSE grades: A*A*A*A*AAAAAB
AS grades (predicted/achieved): /
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): A* physics, A* chemistry, A further maths (and already got an A in maths but retaking)
Extra curricular: County XC & school captain, Music (grade 7), gold DofE
Offers: A*A Nottingham, Interview york, unconditional lancaster, AA bath, durham pending

Did anyone else get an unconditional from lancaster? they're surprisingly common...
Course: Law and Politics
Universities: Manchester, Cardiff, QMUL, Swansea, Plymouth
GCSE grades: A*AAAABBBCC
AS grades (predicted/achieved): ABCCC
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): A* English Literature, A English Language, A History
Extra curricular: Performed at Wembley Arena/Royal Albert Hall, lots of drama and dance, tutor Spanish to children
Offers: None yet!!
I got my Track login details today. When do you reckon I should expect my first few offers?

UPDATE: Got my first offer today from Plymouth! :smile: hoping the others will reply soon!
UPDATE: Received offers from Plymouth, Swansea and my number one, Cardiff!!!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 639
Location - London
Course - pharmacy
Where - kcl, reading, Kent (Medway), Portsmouth, and Brighton
GCSE grades : A*A*AAAAAABBB
As grades/subjects - psychology (A), Biology (C), Maths (C), chemistry (C)
A2 predictions : A* (psychology) B(biology)B (chemistry)
Offers : sent application this week
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending