The Student Room Group

SF not paying my tuition fees for first year

So I was at the University of Kent for 2 years. I failed the first year, and retook it but I dropped out in November(before the three month cut-off point).

Student Finance have told me that I will only be entitled to 2 years of tuition fees. I'm aware of the rule(number of years for degree + 1 - previous amount of years at uni).

My question is if me dropping out in November counts as a year? I was under the impression that entitlement to tuition fee loans stipulates that students must be in attendance of the course three months after the academic year starts.

'If you drop out before this three month cut off period, the university my charge you for the time you attended, but because you do not fulfill the entitlement for the funds, you will have to pay this out of your own pocket, as the SLC will get their funds back from the university.'

So do I have a case here or no? I'm having trouble making sense of this tbh
Original post by Opsimath
So I was at the University of Kent for 2 years. I failed the first year, and retook it but I dropped out in November(before the three month cut-off point).

Student Finance have told me that I will only be entitled to 2 years of tuition fees. I'm aware of the rule(number of years for degree + 1 - previous amount of years at uni).

My question is if me dropping out in November counts as a year? I was under the impression that entitlement to tuition fee loans stipulates that students must be in attendance of the course three months after the academic year starts.

'If you drop out before this three month cut off period, the university my charge you for the time you attended, but because you do not fulfill the entitlement for the funds, you will have to pay this out of your own pocket, as the SLC will get their funds back from the university.'

Unfortunately student finance rules are set up to work against giving out more loans - SFE will have paid Kent 25% of your tuition fees if you attended for more than 2 weeks (and another 25% if you returned after Christmas) - what you're quoting above is Kent's regulations to allow them to pursue students for tuition fees directly in cases where SFE don't pay out.
From the point of view of SFE any attendance in a second year (even if it is less than 2 weeks) counts as an entire year for calculating entitlement.

The only exemptions to these rules are if you can prove that you left your previous course due to "Compelling Personal Reasons" (call up SFE to ask them to talk you through how to apply for this) which requires evidence - usually of health problems or bereavement.
Original post by Opsimath

Hi, we will use 2 years even if you have left in November. If you have left due to compelling personal reasons then you can provide evidence of this to have an extra year of funding.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending