The Student Room Group

Nov 16th: How do you beat FOMO?

How do you beat FOMO?

Katie Thistleton sits in for Gemma on The Surgery this week to talk FOMO. It’s easy to worry about what you’re missing out on, but FOMO can cause serious anxiety.

Do you always wish you were somewhere better? Does social media make your FOMO worse? Or have you learned to be happy in the moment?

Join Katie and Dr Radha on Wednesday 16th November at 9pm for advice on how to get over your FOMO and be a bit less anxious.

Please note: you can post on this forum anonymously.

Scroll to see replies

By not caring what some randoms do every Saturday night.
What on earth is FOMO? #Moooose
Original post by OvergrownMoose

Fear of missing out
Reply 4

Stands for fear of missing out.

Or at least that's what I've always known FOMO to mean :teehee:
Original post by citibankrec
Fear of missing out

Original post by Spock's Socks
Stands for fear of missing out.

Or at least that's what I've always known FOMO to mean :teehee:

Ah okay thanks haha! I thought it was like the female equivalent of homo :lol: #Moooose
Reply 6
nah i love it - i wanna know all the details and overreact to all of them :colone:
Ah okay thanks haha! I thought it was like the female equivalent of homo :lol: #Moooose

NP #Moooose
Pretty simple, just make your own decisions and do whatever you want to do...
FOMO...what is this, Infant School? And god knows why Radio 1 has posted this, seeing as the average age of its listeners is 32.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
FOMO...what is this, Infant School? And god knows why Radio 1 has posted this, seeing as the average age of its listeners is 32.

Wasn't that the case 7 years ago? Radio 1's controllers have had to adapt to trends to bring down the listening age. They should probably introduce another nationwide radio station if they're missing out on the demographic that's too old for R1 and too young for R2
Original post by shawn_o1
Wasn't that the case 7 years ago? Radio 1's controllers have had to adapt to trends to bring down the listening age. They should probably introduce another nationwide radio station if they're missing out on the demographic that's too old for R1 and too young for R2

Absolutely! See this document if you're interested in radio (I am terribly):

http://www.radiocentre.org/files/appendix_a___bdrc_bbc_r1_r2_audience_research_website.pdf

This report was published in October 2014 and showed that the mean age of Radio 1 is actually 36. The constant chase for their preferred demographic never bears fruit and one has to wonder in a period of severe budgetary restraint at the BBC whether this chase is still appropriate.

#M

Spoiler

se
Original post by BBC Radio 1
How do you beat FOMO?

Katie Thistleton sits in for Gemma on The Surgery this week to talk FOMO. It’s easy to worry about what you’re missing out on, but FOMO can cause serious anxiety.

Do you always wish you were somewhere better? Does social media make your FOMO worse? Or have you learned to be happy in the moment?

Join Katie and Dr Radha on Wednesday 16th November at 9pm for advice on how to get over your FOMO and be a bit less anxious.

Please note: you can post on this forum anonymously.

Missing out on what? A bit less anxious? Do be quiet.
Tbh I think I'm somebody who hates to miss an opportunity (and hence will go to everything I can lol), so I don't tend to experience FOMO that much. But if, for some reason, I can't go somewhere, I can be pretty disappointed. The way I often get over FOMO is by telling myself that what I'm doing currently is pretty good, anyway. Sometimes being sour grapes can help!
I deal with it by eating my feelings and sleeping as much as I can, and then I remind myself that nothing in this world beats a wild night in.
To be honest, I think I go beyond the fear of missing out straight onto knowing I'm missing out. But that's because I live at home at the moment, post-uni, while my partner is at uni some distance away and so is still having some wild nights and a lot of fun - I find it hard not to compare social lives in that situation!

What other people are doing doesn't bother me - it's only really if it's people close to me and I happen to be doing nothing. What I find helps is going and doing something exciting if possible, and if not, completely avoiding social media until the event in question is over ... whether that's productive or not.
Yeah, I used to worry about this all the time. Once I stopped using things like Snapchat and realised that people are only showing the best bits of themselves on most social media, I felt a bit better. Do I want to be going out every night and spending every penny I have on crap alcohol and takeaways? No
I can't something miss what I have never experienced. I am rather anxious about to waste my life, being incapable of living my (modest) desires out.
I don't really suffer from FOMO. But I deal really badly with stress and I think that a lot of people in the world very obviously don't have your best interests in their hearts whether or not they know you. So one should not feel like they are missing out on something eventful just because some people cannot talk properly to their audiences. I think maybe do your best to hold your own and just feel...strong and spend time focusing on looking for something exciting actually always up your alley. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending