The Student Room Group

Already Ruined Requirements?

*Sorry if in wrong section there were so many I couldn't pick*

I'm on an access course. I've been sick since it started (not to make an excuse) but I haven't been giving it 100% because I'm working part time too and I'm literally exhausted. But I thought it's fine to relax a little now and then revise like crazy later, right?

Anyway, the uni I want to go to wants me to have merit in everything (and a certain amount of UCAS, so I need to get some distinctions as well) and I have two reports being graded now and I'm quite confident on a D.

However, I had an exam and I really just winged it because I was so so sick. I ended up getting a pass, which I was sort of expecting as I didn't revise, and didn't think it would be much of a problem because I can make up for it with a ton of distinctions, but someone told me if they want all merits then I'll be at the back of the list?

I'm starting to worry now, will it be a big problem?
You really don't sound to me like you're taking the course at all seriously. The illness, as you've said yourself, isn't really an excuse. Not revising, 'relaxing' a little now - this really isn't ideal, is it?

Access Courses are often tough going, particularly if you've been out of education for a while, and a blasé attitude towards it isn't really the way to guarantee any sort of success. A pass at module is likely to be a big problem, if the minimum requirement is Merits in everything - you need to contact the universities you're interested in to see if they can accept a Pass grade in a module.

Not meaning to lecture you, but if I were you, I would think about my attitude towards this course and whether it's going to lead to success or not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
You really don't sound to me like you're taking the course at all seriously. The illness, as you've said yourself, isn't really an excuse. Not revising, 'relaxing' a little now - this really isn't ideal, is it?

Access Courses are often tough going, particularly if you've been out of education for a while, and a blasé attitude towards it isn't really the way to guarantee any sort of success. A pass at module is likely to be a big problem, if the minimum requirement is Merits in everything - you need to contact the universities you're interested in to see if they can accept a Pass grade in a module.

Not meaning to lecture you, but if I were you, I would think about my attitude towards this course and whether it's going to lead to success or not.

No that's not the case I must have typed it out wrong. Last week I was up till 4am 3 nights in a row to make sure my assignment was perfect. What I mean is, the sicknesses are so much that it's hard to focus on it and I'm not able to give 100%. I know they're tough, someone people got ungraded and they revised a ton.

I'm just not sure how I should go about this pass. If I should put my grades on ucas or send it off with them all unfilled. I won't have them all on there when it gets sent off anyway because the course ends next May.
Original post by 2195
No that's not the case I must have typed it out wrong. Last week I was up till 4am 3 nights in a row to make sure my assignment was perfect. What I mean is, the sicknesses are so much that it's hard to focus on it and I'm not able to give 100%. I know they're tough, someone people got ungraded and they revised a ton.

I'm just not sure how I should go about this pass. If I should put my grades on ucas or send it off with them all unfilled. I won't have them all on there when it gets sent off anyway because the course ends next May.

Ok, but your original post very much read as if you weren't taking it at all seriously.

Trying to miss the grade out, or fudge the issue really isn't going to work, I'm afraid. They will want to see the grades you've been awarded already, and there are plenty of sources of information which UCSA uses to verify the information in your application. Furthermore, any offer is likely to be dependent on a certain number of Merit/Distinctions as you already know and if you don't meet those requirements and it subsequently becomes known that you knew you'd not met the requirements at the time of application but just kept quiet about it, it's going to look very, very bad.

I personally would be more proactive about this, and try to manage the situation by being upfront and honest about it: see what you can actually do about it, rather than just try to obfuscate.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
Ok, but your original post very much read as if you weren't taking it at all seriously.

Trying to miss the grade out, or fudge the issue really isn't going to work, I'm afraid. They will want to see the grades you've been awarded already, and there are plenty of sources of information which UCSA uses to verify the information in your application. Furthermore, any offer is likely to be dependent on a certain number of Merit/Distinctions as you already know and if you don't meet those requirements and it subsequently becomes known that you knew you'd not met the requirements at the time of application but just kept quiet about it, it's going to look very, very bad.

I personally would be more proactive about this, and try to manage the situation by being upfront and honest about it: see what you can actually do about it, rather than just try to obfuscate.

I'm going to an open day next Saturday, maybe I should bring it up then and ask some questions. I just really want this and I've done so much already that I don't want this stupid blip to ruin it for me, you know?

I'll try to be proactive like you said, thanks for the advice.
Original post by 2195
I'm going to an open day next Saturday, maybe I should bring it up then and ask some questions. I just really want this and I've done so much already that I don't want this stupid blip to ruin it for me, you know?

I'll try to be proactive like you said, thanks for the advice.

Yes, I do quite understand. And I hope the Pass doesn't affect your chances. Best of luck and do ask on the Open Day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending