The Student Room Group

UCAS references query

Hello, I'm new to TSR and I feel new to the process of applying to university! The UCAS form stipulates having a reference available. I've been out of higher education for over 10 years, and I don't think my current employer would be suitable as a reference. Do ODP courses definitely expect a reference? What advice would those of you who didn't apply to ODP courses straight after A levels give for finding suitable references?
I posted on this thread rather than the 2017 one as I thought there might be a wider range of experience out there.
Hi I am in the same situation I am currently planning on asking work for a reference despite the fact this would be inadequate. No other choice Unless I hire a tutor. Which I don't need and is a big waste of money. so Effectively I would be paying them just to give me a reference.

Anyway thought id comment in case someone else here can come up with a good suggestion.
Reply 2
Original post by Luke7456
Hi I am in the same situation I am currently planning on asking work for a reference despite the fact this would be inadequate. No other choice Unless I hire a tutor. Which I don't need and is a big waste of money. so Effectively I would be paying them just to give me a reference.

Anyway thought id comment in case someone else here can come up with a good suggestion.

Yes, it's a difficult one. To give more slightly more information, I wouldn't like my employer to know I'm planning a move until (if) I get a place on a course. Asking for a reference at this stage would put me in an uncomfortable position in the fairly likely situation that I was unsuccessful. As well as feeling that it might jeopardise my application as my manager doesn't know me particularly well and my job is quite different to that of an ODP! I was considering contacting my personal tutor from uni, but most of the department staff have completely changed since I studied there.
Have you checked the requirements for recent study? Just that I know a lot of places need evidence of study in the last 3-5 years. You might need to do some sort of course before you apply...but that would solve your reference problem!
Reply 4
I have evidence of recent study but it wouldn't solve the reference problem!
Could the provider of your recent study not give a reference?
Original post by hazybubbles
Could the provider of your recent study not give a reference?

I am self teaching myself maths further maths and additional further maths so I am the provider of my own study.

I don't think I can write my own reference.
Reply 7
Indeed, this is similar to my situation.
Reply 8
I am self teaching myself maths further maths and additional further maths so I am the provider of my own study.

I don't think I can write my own reference.

Original post by Piacevole
Indeed, this is similar to my situation.

You can get a character reference as a last resort. Failiing that there is no reason why your current employer couldn't write it. I know you may not want him or her to know of your future intentions, but as long as you have worked there for a reasonable period of time, it is their responsibility, to write you one. Don't mess this up!
Reply 9
Original post by john2054
You can get a character reference as a last resort. Failiing that there is no reason why your current employer couldn't write it. I know you may not want him or her to know of your future intentions, but as long as you have worked there for a reasonable period of time, it is their responsibility, to write you one. Don't mess this up!

But then you've shown your hand, and if one doesn't get a place, they then know you're actively looking to do something else. I'm on rolling contracts; it's quite possible that knowledge of my intentions could influence the non-renewal of my next contract! Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I've seen it happen before and I'm getting too old to take more risks than are necessary job-wise to make such a change.
Original post by Piacevole
But then you've shown your hand, and if one doesn't get a place, they then know you're actively looking to do something else. I'm on rolling contracts; it's quite possible that knowledge of my intentions could influence the non-renewal of my next contract! Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I've seen it happen before and I'm getting too old to take more risks than are necessary job-wise to make such a change.

In that case it's up to you if you take the risk. Get an employer reference, which would look better on your ucas, and also perhaps risk your current position, although give you better chances with the education route. Which they are also professionally obliged to write.

Or get a personal reference written by someone else not your employer, your GP maybe? Which although not being ideal, is better than nothing. Whatever you do don't get a friend or family member to write it though, okay?

Thanks.
My Employer is already fully aware of my intentions, I am concerned about who I can ask their though and if a Work reference is as strong as an academic one.
My Employer is already fully aware of my intentions, I am concerned about who I can ask their though and if a Work reference is as strong as an academic one.

A work reference should definitely be considered as strong as an academic one. They often as for one of each though. If they are already aware, then i would say go for it. Definitely?! Some times all you can do is play the cards you have been dealt! (card playing analogy)

Quick Reply

Latest