The Student Room Group

clearing

When clearing opens, are u supposed to apply for the course through UCAS or directly to the uni?
You contact the uni(s) directly to see if they’ll give you an offer, and then later you can refer yourself to one offer making uni via UCAS.

IE. You can ring around and get multiple clearing offers, but can only pick one via UCAS.
Original post by Sara_546
When clearing opens, are u supposed to apply for the course through UCAS or directly to the uni?

Hey @Sara_546!

You'd call around the universities you're interested in to query if they have places on the courses you're interested in, and from there you could make an application over the phone if you already had your grades. Some universities might have online referral forms you can fill out on their websites, but calling is the standard way of getting in touch. You're not limited to calling a certain number of universities (i.e. you can make as many Clearing applications as you like), but you'll only be able to add one offer onto your UCAS to formally accept it. Some universities may have more courses available in Clearing than others, and I would always recommend calling as early as possible (if you're calling on results day) to ask about course availability because courses will 'close' in clearing - meaning they're full, and not taking any further applications.

Clearing is honestly a fantastic tool for finding a new university for a course you're interested in, or even changing your mind completely on what you want to study, so prepping yourself early on what it involves is great!

All the best - let me know if you have any queries about Clearing, I personally got into university through it and have worked on it for a good few years as a staff member, so am happy to have a chat!
All the best,
Becky
University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending