The Student Room Group

How important is it for me to firm the best uni I have applied for?

Hi, so basically i'm torn between UEA and Oxford brookes. I know that UEA is a better university so in that case I feel like i should pick UEA, and although I did like UEA I am also really drawn to Oxford Brookes but whenever I think of a reason to go to Brookes I always just cancel it out as it's not a better uni.

So basically what I wanted to ask is that if I did pick Brookes over UEA how much would it effect my future career (Media) and the legitimacy of my degree?

Also, so you probably could tell that the unis I have applied for arent anything too high ranking (UEA is my highest by far) and I feel as if now that i've applied and got my offers i've been way too safe and most of the universities I have applied for are actually lower than what my predicted grades are. I got a D* in ICT (I know it's a BTEC so it's not as valuable) and i'm predicted BB for my 2 A levels i'm currently taking, so do you think if I did get a higher grade like AA as my teacher thinks I can get it would I be able to go through the adjustment system and go to a better uni? Asking because i'm not familiar with the adjustment system well and not sure what the chances are of actually getting a place at a better uni.

Thanks!

EDIT: Posted this in the wrong place, sorry!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Sakisaka
Hi, so basically i'm torn between UEA and Oxford brookes. I know that UEA is a better university so in that case I feel like i should pick UEA, and although I did like UEA I am also really drawn to Oxford Brookes but whenever I think of a reason to go to Brookes I always just cancel it out as it's not a better uni.

Moved it for you! :smile:

Which course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
Moved it for you! :smile:

Which course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :P I've applied for media studies, the course is a little different for each uni but basically theoretical and academic media instead of more practical stuff.
Reply 3
Thanks :P I've applied for media studies, the course is a little different for each uni but basically theoretical and academic media instead of more practical stuff.

You have until May to decide, there's no rush.

There's plenty of time to visit both (again if necessary) and carefully check the courses (that's more important than the university).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
You have until May to decide, there's no rush.

There's plenty of time to visit both (again if necessary) and carefully check the courses (that's more important that the university).

That's true, i've already visited and do plan on going on applicant days to help me make sure I know which one is my favorite, however what i'm concerned about is going to a uni that isn't statistically better than the other as my degree may be worth less?
Reply 5
... however what i'm concerned about is going to a uni that isn't statistically better than the other as my degree may be worth less?

Nope. Employers don't care. They care about you and the skills and experiences you have, not your university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
Nope. Employers don't care. They care about you and the skills and experiences you have, not your university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh really? Thanks, hopefully this makes me end up picking the uni I actually want to go to in the end and not just the best
The difference between Oxford Brookes and UEA is marginal, if not non-existent. No one will make a distinction between them. Most people won't have heard of either tbh. You can afford to go where you want.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
The difference between Oxford Brookes and UEA is marginal, if not non-existent. No one will make a distinction between them. Most people won't have heard of either tbh. You can afford to go where you want.

I don't really want to put 'league tables debate' into here, but could it not be argued that on a perceptional basis UEA is classed as 'better' purely down to the fact it is significantly higher in the league tables (a top 15 university UK wide)? I'm not saying either of the two is better but there is quite some significance between the two in league tables.

At the end of the day OP, whatever university you most feel happy at I would recommend. I agree that league tables aren't everything and graduate prospects even at ex-polys are higher than some of the overall top 20 unis. A first class honors will stand out a lot more than what uni you went to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Khanthebrit
I don't really want to put 'league tables debate' into here, but could it not be argued that on a perceptional basis UEA is classed as 'better' purely down to the fact it is significantly higher in the league tables (a top 15 university UK wide)? I'm not saying either of the two is better but there is quite some significance between the two in league tables.

At the end of the day OP, whatever university you most feel happy at I would recommend. I agree that league tables aren't everything and graduate prospects even at ex-polys are higher than some of the overall top 20 unis. A first class honors will stand out a lot more than what uni you went to.

I don't think UEA is more regarded than Oxford Brookes. It's definitely not top 15. The truth is that 95% of people see no difference between the 100 or so universities outside the Russell Group. No one takes league tables seriously.

I would take Oxford Brookes for the location, and the chance that someone will think you went to Oxford.
I don't think UEA is more regarded than Oxford Brookes. It's definitely not top 15. The truth is that 95% of people see no difference between the 100 or so universities outside the Russell Group. No one takes league tables seriously.

I would take Oxford Brookes for the location, and the chance that someone will think you went to Oxford.

I can certainly work out that Bath, Lancaster, Surrey and St Andrews are better than many (yawn) RG unis. Does that put me in the top 5%???

Otoh love the snob value!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
I can certainly work out that Bath, Lancaster, Surrey and St Andrews are better than many (yawn) RG unis. Does that put me in the top 5%???

Otoh love the snob value!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aside from the few unis that you can count on one hand (which I think will join the RG soon anyway), all the other universities merge into an awful grey. No one knows the difference between UEA, Oxford Brookes, Chester, Hull, Roehampton, Portsmouth, Bradford, Huddersfield, Derby, Northampton, Edge Hill, Bangor, Bournemouth, Brighton, Anglia Ruskin, Falmouth, etc.

They're all the same!
Reply 12
The best university to go to is the one which is best for you.
Reply 13
No one knows the difference between UEA, Oxford Brookes, Chester, Hull, Roehampton, Portsmouth, Bradford, Huddersfield, Derby, Northampton, Edge Hill, Bangor, Bournemouth, Brighton, Anglia Ruskin, Falmouth, etc.

They're all the same!

They really aren't the same. Bournemouth, for example, has an excellent Communication & Media course, with very good links to industry. Roehampton for teacher training. UEA for creative writing. Etc etc.

Oh and Lasdun, the architect behind a lot of UEAs original buildings, also designed for some Cambridge colleges too (Fitz, Christ's).

Original post by Artjen
The best university to go to is the one which is best for you.

^this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
A degree is a degree is a degree. Choose your uni for reasons other than elitism. Here are some suggestions:

1) How far is it from home?
2) How vibrant is the city, do you want it vibrant or not?
3) Do the staff seem to care about the students?
4) Are the facilities good? (library, gym, sports)
The difference between Oxford Brookes and UEA is marginal, if not non-existent.

I don't think UEA is more regarded than Oxford Brookes. It's definitely not top 15.

Are you having a giraffe? Completely different league.

Oxford Brookes 65th. UEA 15th. Complete University Guide

UEA one of the top ones for student satisfaction. National Student Survey.

Requirements for UEA Law AAA (for example). Requirements for Oxford Brookes Law (for example) BBC.

Be aware OP that some of the better universities like UEA don't necessarily guarantee accommodation if you decide to go with them at a later date, so might be a consideration for applying now and firming.
(edited 7 years ago)

So basically what I wanted to ask is that if I did pick Brookes over UEA how much would it effect my future career (Media) and the legitimacy of my degree?

Also, so you probably could tell that the unis I have applied for arent anything too high ranking (UEA is my highest by far) and I feel as if now that i've applied and got my offers i've been way too safe and most of the universities I have applied for are actually lower than what my predicted grades are. I got a D* in ICT (I know it's a BTEC so it's not as valuable) and i'm predicted BB for my 2 A levels i'm currently taking, so do you think if I did get a higher grade like AA as my teacher thinks I can get it would I be able to go through the adjustment system and go to a better uni? Asking because i'm not familiar with the adjustment system well and not sure what the chances are of actually getting a place at a better uni.

Thanks!

EDIT: Posted this in the wrong place, sorry!

I would go for Brookes - much better location than UEA - easy travel to London and good theatres/concert venues.

You are guaranteed halls if you firm Brookes :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
I would go for Brookes - much better location than UEA - easy travel to London and good theatres/concert venues.

You are guaranteed halls if you firm Brookes :smile:

Based on that I feel I should fight UEA's corner now! We also guarantee halls here at UEA for those who firm the university. We also have a great music scene here in Norwich, with weekly music gigs on campus, as well as comedy gigs, club nights, political debate, literary festivals, and so on. Coldplay, Muse, 5SOS, and others have all played our campus music venue. We also had Radio 1's Big Weekend on our doorstep last year, Foo Fighters and Taylor Swift used our beautiful Law school building for the grounds of their dressing rooms.

Speaking on a personal level what I love about Norwich is it's a city with real character but you'll find the cost of living isn't as significant as some major cities. If you use a site like Unistats you'll see our campus accommodation can often work out cheaper than those in the bigger cities, and the private accommodation costs are often lower too (depending where you choose!). And we're only 2 hours by train from London, half an hour from the coast, and we're a good shopping destination here too!

As others have pointed out, we're a Top 15 University, we've consistently had high levels of student satisfaction (Top 5 ever since the National Student Survey began - Top 3 this year), and Leiden rankings place UEA in world's top 100 universities for research.

And if you're studying media here you're going to love working with some of our inspiring academics. Having studied a similar course here they really fueled my interest in this field, and they're regularly in the news talking about the theoretical aspect particularly with regards to politics and all that's happened this year, so they're respected for their work too :smile:

Good luck wherever you choose, Sakisaka, but let us know if we can give you any further insight.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by University of East Anglia
Based on that I feel I should fight UEA's corner now! We also guarantee halls here at UEA for those who firm the university. We also have a great music scene here in Norwich, with weekly music gigs on campus, as well as comedy gigs, club nights, political debate, literary festivals, and so on. Coldplay, Muse, 5SOS, and others have all played our campus music venue. We also had Radio 1's Big Weekend on our doorstep last year, Foo Fighters and Taylor Swift used our beautiful Law school building for the grounds of their dressing rooms.

Speaking on a personal level what I love about Norwich is it's a city with real character but you'll find the cost of living isn't as significant as some major cities. If you use a site like Unistats you'll see our campus accommodation can often work out cheaper than those in the bigger cities, and the private accommodation costs are often lower too (depending where you choose!). And we're only 2 hours by train from London, half an hour from the coast, and we're a good shopping destination here too!

As others have pointed out, we're a Top 15 University, we've consistently had high levels of student satisfaction (Top 5 ever since the National Student Survey began - Top 3 this year), and Leiden rankings place UEA in world's top 100 universities for research.

And if you're studying media here you're going to love working with some of our inspiring academics. Having studied a similar course here they really fueled my interest in this field, and they're regularly in the news talking about the theoretical aspect particularly with regards to politics and all that's happened this year, so they're respected for their work too :smile:

Good luck wherever you choose, Sakisaka, but let us know if we can give you any further insight.

Of course your post is not exactly unbiased :laugh:

Norwich is nowhere near as good a location as Oxford - everyone knows that if they are being honest.

Go on a post-offers day and see. I support many students applying to unis all over the country so I, perhaps, am a little less biased than the UEA poster :smile:
Reply 19
Thanks for all the responses, i'm still undecided but have an applicant day for UEA and hopefully one for brookes later, since people are talking about league tables I would say that UEA has a bit more of an edge than Brookes, although yes a lot of people wont care or can't tell the difference I feel that UEA is much more rising than Brookes which therefore leads me towards it a little more. But you are all right in the fact that the uni that is best for me is the uni i should go to, so i guess it's best just to wait and see and try not to focus too much on small details

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending