The Student Room Group

How to become an online tutor? Online tutoring jobs for students?

Just wondering has anyone tried doing any tutoring as a job?
If so how did you find the people you tutored, how did you structure what you did with them, and how much did you charge? I'm 17 and did well at GCSE, now doing science A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM:

If you're looking to become a tutor or for online tutoring jobs for students, this tutoring company pays up to £24 per hour - apply to become a tutor here
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

i wud probs only charge £10-£15
I've done unpaid tutoring for my class (due to a lack of teacher). had it been outside of school I would have personally charged about £15 per hour (which is what I charged for my drum teaching).

One thing I will say is that teaching a subject is far different from doing it, really plan about 4 lessons ahead so if your student is really good you wont run out of material within a lesson, and also come up with some memory activities that can act as a bread and butter of a teaching session if they understand it but just need a little push remembering it.
I offered a free session once because I wanted to learn whether I was able to teach. Taught a guy some GCSE Maths to help him pass his test for joining the army. Tbh I would only charge minimum wage or slightly above, because I love teaching and would rather teach loads of people.

It's surprisingly difficult, all I did was copy how my teachers taught me, which was to just demonstrate over and over again. I found the person very receptive and willing to learn.
Reply 4
Hey guys,

I'm looking to tutor children in maths or any science up to GCSE level. I'm in year 12 though so does anyone know how I can get a tutoring job. Most of the tutor advertising websites need me to be 18 or have a bachelor's degree. What's the best way to get in contact with people. And what rate do you think I should charge.

Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by dee08
Hey guys,

I'm looking to tutor children in maths or any science up to GCSE level. I'm in year 12 though so does anyone know how I can get a tutoring job. Most of the tutor advertising websites need me to be 18 or have a bachelor's degree. What's the best way to get in contact with people. And what rate do you think I should charge.

Thanks

Advert on the local noticeboard - often the window of a Post Office will display adverts (although there might be a small fee) and big supermarkets often do too.

Speak to your parents and see if they have any friends with children - or maybe your own friends have younger siblings - and then these people can mention it to their friends and spread the message by word of mouth.
you can also advertise yourself on gumtree and the like

you won't be able to charge much £10 an hour maybe
Although being under 18 you cannot advertise on our website, I would strongly advise that you read our advice page before starting out. You'll avoid the common pitfalls if you do:

http://www.thetutorpages.com/private-tutor-advice
I tutor my 8 year old neighbour and I am 17 nearly 18. They asked me if I would be willing and I said yes. Start by looking locally is what I am getting at. Post on Facebook sites, social media, in the newsagents window, anywhere that a parent or a student might see! Now that I tutor the little girl, some other parents have mentioned how if they need a babysitter/tutor in the future they will remember me. Also, if you do go into tutoring, make sure you prepare and take a folder of things that you can do with the student, just in case they have no school homework or a problem they need to solve. I also always take a fun task and a quiz, flashcards and a multiplication colouring sheet. Good luck!
Original post by dee08
Hey guys,

Thanks

It's going to be difficult to have any credibility as a Year 12 tutor - particularly because it's the parents you'd need to convince, given that they're paying for it. I wish you luck, but I think you're not going to get much work out of it
Hi, I currently have a part time job and one of my managers has asked if I would tutor his 12 year old daughter in maths as she is struggling a little. I'm currently in my second year at college doing maths and further maths and I've said that I am happy to do this but I have no idea how much to charge as I havent tutored before. Any suggestions??

(Thanks!)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Probably the same amount per hour you get paid at work if it's for your manager
Hi, thanks.

No I havent tutored before, I got 2 a's at AS level for Maths and Further Maths and am predicted A*A*A*A for A level in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry (A in Chem). He has said that she is really struggling in comparison to her classmates especially in algebra. I am happy to do it just didnt know how much to charge :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by potterhead4eva
Hi, I currently have a part time job and one of my managers has asked if I would tutor his 12 year old daughter in maths as she is struggling a little. I'm currently in my second year at college doing maths and further maths and I've said that I am happy to do this but I have no idea how much to charge as I havent tutored before. Any suggestions??

(Thanks!)

My partner charges £20 per hours, however she has a uni degree. I would say £10-£15 per hour to be adequate for a 6th former.
I'd say £10-£15 an hour as well. Out of interest, where will this tutoring take place? Will it be at the tutee's home? I would recommend that this is the case, and you ensure the girl is tutored in a communal area (i.e. with a parent present in the same room). Its sad to have to type this, but that's just how things are nowadays.
Original post by potterhead4eva

(Thanks!)

Hi Potterhead,

You may be interested to look at our survey results on private tuition fees:

http://www.thetutorpages.com/private-tuition-fees

For academic tuition up to the age of 14, professional tutors charged on average between £29 - £30.50/hour. Bear in mind, though that fees will fluctuate depending on area and experience (eg London-based tutors can sometimes charge significantly more than those in the regions). For tutors just starting out, or those under 18, fees are likely to be significantly lower.

You need to consider how much preparation you will need to do for the sessions, and how long it will take you to travel to the student's house (if that is where tuition is taking place).

Reality Check raises an important point, and you should be aware of certain issues before you start tutoring. Do take a look at our advice for tutors for more information:

http://www.thetutorpages.com/private-tutor-advice

Good luck!

Emma
£15 an hour sounds reasonable to me. You're going to have to do some prep for the sessions and so on so it's not going to be fair to charge the same minimum wage (or close to) that you earn in a standard saturday job, they're also benefiting from your Maths ability which is obviously good. However you don't have a proven track record and you are only 18 so I wouldn't charge any more than that.
Haven't done it as a paid job. But I've gone round to friends and tutored Higher Maths as they were struggling.
Original post by societea
If so how did you find the people you tutored, how did you structure what you did with them, and how much did you charge? I'm 17 and did well at GCSE, now doing science A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did quite a bit of tutoring during my first few years at university, mainly tutoring A level students (never noticed any GCSE students wanting tuition - it's mostly A level students who need good grades for uni whose parents are willing to pay out for private tutors). I charged about £20/ hour, but that's as someone with a fair amount of previous experience (volunteering as a tutor at sixth form, having other tutees) and very good A level grades.

I would say that as a current A level student teaching GCSE students with no previous experience you'd probably be looking at more around the £10/ hour mark. I would really recommend getting a bit of voluntary experience at school if you can though - it can really help for looking for future work :smile:

Bear in mind that you'll spend a LOT of time preparing lessons etc., you can't just rock up for your one hour lesson. So even if you're charging £10/ hour, but it takes you two hours to prepare worksheets and prepare/ mark homework for each one hour session, that's actually only around £3.33/ hour overall. Of course, you can buy textbooks instead and set questions from that to save on preparation time, and for GCSE students there's probably a bit less preparation work/ homework required, but even so you'll have to factor this time commitment into your pricing.

In terms of how I found the people I tutored, I used a website called First Tutors and also just general word of mouth through teachers I'd previously volunteered with. I had LOADS of requests through the website for tutoring (so much that I had to keep turning them down because I didn't have enough time) so I'd say that if you've got reasonable credentials and aren't overcharging it shouldn't be too hard to find students online (although as I mentioned before, GCSE students seemed to be a bit scarcer, maybe try different websites or putting up posters in secondary schools (with permission...) too).

The structure varied depending on the student - but generally I'd start off going through their homework and getting them to work through their mistakes, then move on to doing some exercises based on what they'd said they'd been struggling with that week (they would email me a few days before the lesson about this) followed by some time to go over their classwork from school (only for those students who were really struggling at school rather than those who were pushing for high grades), then I'd set them about 15 mins - 2 hours of homework to do for the next week. It varied a bit between students - some I was going back to the very basics and working through simple problems, one I was basically just babysitting him to ensure he did his school homework (he was a really annoying student, but easy money...), and others we were working on more complex problems than they did in school or focusing on exam technique.
Original post by societea

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw yeah, I tutored for a few years and would love to help you out. I'm starting it back up again soon, so it'll be cool to go over my rates and stuff. All the prices are in RP, so I'll convert it to £ and PM the deets. What ages are you thinking of tutoring?

Quick Reply

Latest