The Student Room Group

Help on choosing a university

Hi, I am an EU student which means that I don't know how certain places in England are like. Could somebody please tell me which university is best town wise? I do not know if I should pick UEA, Cardiff, Strathclide or Sussex. I could really use your help. Thank you!
Original post by crissy19
Hi, I am an EU student which means that I don't know how certain places in England are like. Could somebody please tell me which university is best town wise? I do not know if I should pick UEA, Cardiff, Strathclide or Sussex. I could really use your help. Thank you!

The only unis I can really speak for are Strathclyde and Sussex.
Glasgow is a phoenomenal city, and I know the uni has a very friendly attitude toward foreign students. This may be key in the upcoming few years as the UK's relationship with the EU is changing. I don't know what Strathclyde's policy is, but I know that my uni (Aberdeen Uni, also in Scotland), has vowed to fund all EU students' degrees fully regardless of EU status providing they commence studies before the triggering of Article 50.

Sussex is also a very nice school. It was my second choice. It's located within a national park so the outside grounds are very nice. The actual university is okay. I wasn't too impressed with their school of psychology and ended up studying medical science instead, which is why I didn't end up there.

Brighton (5 min away from Sussex on the train) is a nice city with a pretty decent nightlife, but I still prefer Glasgow to it.
Reply 2
Original post by RhyddleMeThis
The only unis I can really speak for are Strathclyde and Sussex.
Glasgow is a phoenomenal city, and I know the uni has a very friendly attitude toward foreign students. This may be key in the upcoming few years as the UK's relationship with the EU is changing. I don't know what Strathclyde's policy is, but I know that my uni (Aberdeen Uni, also in Scotland), has vowed to fund all EU students' degrees fully regardless of EU status providing they commence studies before the triggering of Article 50.

Sussex is also a very nice school. It was my second choice. It's located within a national park so the outside grounds are very nice. The actual university is okay. I wasn't too impressed with their school of psychology and ended up studying medical science instead, which is why I didn't end up there.

Brighton (5 min away from Sussex on the train) is a nice city with a pretty decent nightlife, but I still prefer Glasgow to it.

Thank you so much! I am applying to study psychology so if Sussex's school of psychology was not impressive I would rather apply to Strathclyde. Thank you so much for your help!
Original post by crissy19

I'm not sure you should just choose a university based on the town or city, there are lots of factors to consider here. If you're an EU student I'm sure you're going to love your time in the UK wherever you go, but here's my attempt at selling studying here at UEA in Norwich!

For a start - looking at this academically - it's worth taking a look at the league tables for the course you're hoping to study. If it's Psychology there are subject specific league tables. We're pleased to report in the Guardian University Guide we're in the Top 10, matching Cardiff as the highest performing out of your choices.

Here at UEA we're in the UK Top 15 for universities, and we're also one of the best UK universities for student satisfaction. In fact UEA has been consistently ranked Top 5 ever since the National Student Survey began. In short, people really seem to enjoy it here!

Now to get to the key question about the best town/city to study. As I say, I think you'll enjoy wherever you go, but Norwich has a relatively low Cost of Living compared to some places closer to London, yet we're only two hours away from the capital by train. If you look on Unistats you'll see we have a good variance of pricing for private accommodation and campus accommodation which is good if you're on a budget :smile:

Moreover, we think Norwich is great! You've got a good shopping destination, there's a good nightlife, it's around 40 minutes from the coast, and you've got lots of history in our city. As I say, we also have London just two hours away by train. We also take students from nearly every country in the world (I think we have students from approximately 191 countries!). Take a look at our student bloggers to find out more about studying here and watch our videos too.

Let me know if you have any further questions :smile:

[video="youtube;FuiyHqxvK8A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuiyHqxvK8A[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
If I were you I would go for Strathclyde as you wouldn't have to pay fees.

Your choosing universities with typically high entry requirements, it's up to you but you should have a back up if you don't receive the grades you need. For example Edinburgh Napier/RGU.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MathsAndCoffee
If I were you I would go for Strathclyde as you wouldn't have to pay fees.

Your choosing universities with typically high entry requirements, it's up to you but you should have a back up if you don't receive the grades you need. For example Edinburgh Napier/RGU.

Strathclyde only just makes the Top 50 for universities in the UK compared to UEA (14th), Sussex (18th), Cardiff (35th): http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

Free might sound an attractive but there are better experiences around!
Original post by thenationalhealth
Strathclyde only just makes the Top 50 for universities in the UK compared to UEA (14th), Sussex (18th), Cardiff (35th): http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

Free might sound an attractive but there are better experiences around!

I suppose, if your lucky enough to have wealthy parents or willing to incur debt. However when we leave the EU, EU nationals will most likely be classed as international students which could lead to paying fees of £10 a year in some cases.

League tables aren't the be all and end all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending