The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CompSci16
Because realistically speaking, a student from London Met does not have the academic calibre to gain admission to Stanford. These events have limited spaces, why waste a space to an applicant who does not have a credible chance for admission over one who does?

Oh, and says who? Do you work for Stanford?

In comparison London Met grads have a better than 1 in 10 success rate gaining offers for an MPhil at Cambridge. Seems that Cambridge aren't as academically snobish as some people.
Original post by JohnGreek
And how many London Met people are we talking about? It's very convenient to throw success rate figures around without controlling for the number of applicants or the course they applied for. There are a plethora of factors which can influence postgrad entry, of which uni name is only one.

5 successful offers out of 40 applicants. Successes were in Urban Design (2), Sustainable Development and IR (2). And yes I completely agree about the plethora of factors. The uni name is among the least important in that plethora... that's kind of my point :smile:
League I (super super prestigious)
Oxford
Cambridge

League II (super prestigious)
LSE
Imperial

League III (prestigious)
UCL
KCL
Durham
Warwick
Bath
Edinburgh
St Andrews
Exeter
Manchester
Bristol

League IV (almost prestigious/highly established)
Glasgow
Cardiff
Birmingham
Nottingham
Leeds
York
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, St. Andrews, Bristol, Bath, Imperial, UCL, LSE, King's (although it's far less good than many others, rides on literally being called 'King's':wink:, Manchester (ish), Warwick

Some Russell Group unis I wouldn't call prestigious like Leeds, Lancaster, Birmingham, Liverpool, Nottingham, Sheffield, York (despite still being good).

Someone may have already clarified in the thread, but Lancaster is not a RG university.

But, I would generally agree with you that it is not a university than most people will go "oh wow, you study there!?". I say this as someone in my 6th year there and I've never got this reaction. Having said that, it is a very good university for a lot of subjects, it just lacks reputation at the moment.

Liverpool is a great university, too, but also wouldn't get the same reaction as Oxbridge, Durham, Imperial et al.
Original post by JohnGreek
And how many London Met people are we talking about? It's very convenient to throw success rate figures around without controlling for the number of applicants or the course they applied for. There are a plethora of factors which can influence postgrad entry, of which uni name is only one.

Actually this could be another measure of "prestige" to throw into the bear pit...

UK universities
with highest success rates at gaining offers for masters at Cambridge.
1. Cambridge (naturellement)
2. Oxford
3. St Andrews (ooo!)
4. KCL
5. Edinburgh
6. Sussex (controversial!)
7. SOAS (small but beautiful)
8. UCL
9. Durham
10. Newcastle
11. Imperial (what?! below Newcastle? How can this be??)
12. Leeds
13. Manchester
14. Bristol
15. LSE (gosh I was starting to panic there, phew...)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Oh, and says who? Do you work for Stanford?

In comparison London Met grads have a better than 1 in 10 success rate gaining offers for an MPhil at Cambridge. Seems that Cambridge aren't as academically snobish as some people.

Let's be realistic here. Out of universities which have had >200 applicants for a MPhil at Cambridge, the universities with the highest success rate are:

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. St Andrews
4. KCL
5. Edinburgh
6. UCL
7. Durham
8. Imperial
9. Manchester
10. Bristol
11. LSE
12. Exeter

There's no point in pretending that the university you attended means nothing.
Original post by jamestg
League I (super super prestigious)
Oxford
Cambridge

League II (super prestigious)
LSE
Imperial

League III (prestigious)
UCL
KCL
Durham
Warwick
Bath
Edinburgh
St Andrews
Exeter
Manchester
Bristol

League IV (almost prestigious/highly established)
Glasgow
Cardiff
Birmingham
Nottingham
Leeds
York

Well said. I like to imagine in that order too ?
Original post by C_Richards99
Let's be realistic here. Out of universities which have had >200 applicants for a MPhil at Cambridge, the universities with the highest success rate are:

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. St Andrews
4. KCL
5. Edinburgh
6. UCL
7. Durham
8. Imperial
9. Manchester
10. Bristol
11. LSE
12. Exeter

There's no point in pretending that the university you attended means nothing.

See the post 2 above yours (cut off was >100 applicants). It was my collated dataset after all :smile:

And I think more people say "wow" if you tell them you go to London Met than Bristol...
Original post by codelyoko
Hello, i'm a foreigner and i don't really know which universities are considered prestigious in the UK.

I know that Oxbridge is great, but what about King's college, or Edinburgh for example ?

What are the universities people say "wow you study there" when you say it ?

I know it's childish but i want to know.

Sheffield
Original post by jneill
See the post 2 above yours (cut off was >100 applicants). It was my collated dataset after all :smile:

And I think more people say "wow" if you tell them you go to London Met than Bristol...

Filtering the dataset to >200 applicants will erase most of the comments in parenthesis you made :smile:

Haha I'm sure some people would say wow, but don't really see the relevance for what I said.

P.S. this might also interest you!

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reaver Daniels
A student from London Met doesn't have the academic calibre? What ignorant snobbery is this? As you clearly aren't a fan of empirical evidence for statements like that I'll give you an anecdote.

I have an offer from Cambridge, one of my best friends has an offer from Goldsmiths but had London Met as an insurance. We're equally academic and probably equal in intellect. Have you ever considered that a particular course may appeal and so that was a reason for choosing a course? Or perhaps socio-economic background may have had an impact on education and institutions attended? Or perhaps instances in someone's personal life may have forced them into a different university, but they're a first class honours student? Maybe there's the big fish in a small pond mentality present at the time of applying? I could go on, but what I'm trying to say is your snobbery is unwarranted, inaccurate and pathetic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's simple statistics and common sense. You can't argue with the fact that students from LSE, Imperial, Durham, UCL etc. are just more likely to go to Stanford. This is not because of the name of the university, but because of the people that tend to go to these universities. (And this in turn creates the name (brand) of the university.)
Original post by C_Richards99
Filtering the dataset to >200 applicants will erase most of the comments in parenthesis you made :smile:

Haha I'm sure some people would say wow, but don't really see the relevance for what I said.

P.S. this might also interest you!

Spoiler

OP's task for TSR was finding universities that make people say "Wow you go there."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mieleki
It's simple statistics and common sense. You can't argue with the fact that students from LSE, Imperial, Durham, UCL etc. are just more likely to go to Stanford. This is not because of the name of the university, but because of the people that tend to go to these universities. (And this in turn creates the name (brand) of the university.)

And yet apparently Stanford can't be "bothered" to run one of their recruitment events at Durham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jneill, could you pop over to the HSPS thread. Someone had a question and I tried to answer it, but you're far, far better at that than me. All I can do is speculate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I already did...? :smile:

(The one asking about Cambridge's process?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go on complete university guide and look at the top 10

I know people with AAB predictions who actually got into some of these
Yeah you did. It was fast. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was coincidence...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 116
Original post by DarkEnergy
Most people probably haven't heard of them in the UK; if you asked an average Brit to name universities they'd probably only get as far as Oxford, Cambridge, and any local unis.

Depends what you define as your average Brit. Someone who has worked down t'mines all their life for example wouldn't have a clue about universities but you find more and more nowadays that the average Brit is quite akin to you and me and that the rough and ready uneducated average Brit is fading away with age
Original post by JustPadz
Durham and St Andrews over the likes of Warwick and KCL, lol?

Did you create an account just to promote King's?

Every one of your posts on TSR just consists of you promoting King's and maybe the odd bashing of other universities. It seems like a very insecure thing to do.
Original post by Quantex
Cambridge or Hull.

Don't waste your time with other universities.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OKuHYO9TM5A

I haven't even clicked that link but I just know what vid it is :biggrin:
Original post by JustPadz
Durham and St Andrews over the likes of Warwick and KCL, lol?

Prestige-wise, yes.

Unless you're talking about very specific courses at those unis, like MORSE at Warwick.

Latest

Trending

Trending