The Student Room Group

Struggling to fit into uni...

I am an undergraduate first year at queen mary univeristy of london studying maths and computer science and I am finding uni really, really easy. I got A*A*AA(Maths, Further Math, Physics and Computing) for a-level and the people around me at uni either did Btecs or did poorly in their a levels. Half the people at my uni seem to of got in through clearing when i surpassed the grades by miles (AAB entry requirements). I wanted to go oxford or imperial (no offers from either, I had interview at oxford) and I can see now QMUL is really not for me. The course is too easy and no one seems to relate to me. I don't want to sound like a "douche" but I did study hard the last two years and right now I feel the studying hasn't paid off.

I just feel unhappy and unchallenged, I want to be a professor in the future so I have to take a degree, just not sure I'm in the right place.
I'm not suggesting anything, but if you really don't feel good at your uni, is obtaining good grades at QM and then reapplying to Oxford/Imp/wherever an option for you? If I imagine myself in your place I'd do something like that if possible, because by that time your tutors at QM would know you well enough to make a reference and all...
Reply 2
Original post by thesarcasticone
I'm not suggesting anything, but if you really don't feel good at your uni, is obtaining good grades at QM and then reapplying to Oxford/Imp/wherever an option for you? If I imagine myself in your place I'd do something like that if possible, because by that time your tutors at QM would know you well enough to make a reference and all...

I mean if there was a way to transfer straight to second year that would be much nicer, but i don't really wanna redo any first year.
Original post by jjhhbb9
I mean if there was a way to transfer straight to second year that would be much nicer, but i don't really wanna redo any first year.

Then you will have to contact the unis and ask if they accept transfers. If they have space and they think you are promising enough, then it is their dsicretion whether to take you.
Reply 4
The first year is an introduction. It intends to introduce you to uni-level study techniques and to bring everyone on the course up to the same basic level of knowledge. Many people find that the content rehashes A Level content for those who didnt cover topics in quite enough detail - or at all. The second and third year are bound to be more challenging, as this is where new concepts will be introduced.

Try emailing Imperial to see whether they would consider direct entry into their second year, but don't get your hopes up. The likelihood is that top-tier unis aren't struggling to fill their courses with applicants who were rejected the year before. If you ascertain the facts now, it would save you wasting time by making plans which turn out to be unfeasible. Have a look around at other unis as well - maybe ones you didn't consider before.

Try to come up with reasons to transfer which don't amount to "I'm too good for QMUL and you made a mistake by rejecting me", which is what a transfer request to your original first choice unis, risks looking like.

Remember that if you're looking to transfer, your target uni might seek academic references from your current uni. Prepare by working out which member (s) of staff you might ask.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88
The first year is an introduction. It intends to introduce you to uni-level study techniques and to bring everyone on the course up to th same basic level of knowledge. Many people find that the content rehashes A Level content for those who didnt cover topics in qiute enough detail. or at all. The second and third year are bound to be more challenging, as this is where new concepts will be introduced.

I've been told this, but I've seen 2nd year stuff and it's just as easy...
Original post by jjhhbb9

Hmm, idk much about math+compsci, maybe you can do some placements related to your subjects, that'll make it feel more challenging to you+ gain experience...i'm more of an arts person, wish i could help
Reply 7
Original post by jjhhbb9
I've been told this, but I've seen 2nd year stuff and it's just as easy...

But that's good. If you want an academic career, then you have to start out by getting the best marks possible. If you find your course easy, then you can ace it.

You also need to play the academic game if that's your planned target career. Get the grades and start networking. Make contacts with members of staff who can recommend you for further study, PhDs and research. If you find the course easy, you should have plenty of free time to offer your help as an intern research assistant. Ask your course leader for some pointers to staff who might welcome some help.

You need to start building a research track record. If your course is easy, you can start as an undergrad if staff can really see you getting those top grades. Successful research experience, the positive academic reference it will generate and a good degree grade, will get you much further up the ladder than just a degree from a slightly better uni.
Original post by jjhhbb9
I am an undergraduate first year at queen mary univeristy of london studying maths and computer science and I am finding uni really, really easy. I got A*A*AA(Maths, Further Math, Physics and Computing) for a-level and the people around me at uni either did Btecs or did poorly in their a levels. Half the people at my uni seem to of got in through clearing when i surpassed the grades by miles (AAB entry requirements). I wanted to go oxford or imperial (no offers from either, I had interview at oxford) and I can see now QMUL is really not for me. The course is too easy and no one seems to relate to me. I don't want to sound like a "douche" but I did study hard the last two years and right now I feel the studying hasn't paid off.

I just feel unhappy and unchallenged, I want to be a professor in the future so I have to take a degree, just not sure I'm in the right place.

Hello,

If that's the way you feel, maybe start looking into courses else where and seeing what they offer and enquiring as to whether or not you could get into them?
University is about being challenged and building on your already existing skills. I'd suggesting getting to the end of the year you are in and achieving the credits from it and then dropping out after that and then maybe moving on to somewhere else?

I'd also try talking to your careers advice, student support or lecturers and explaining to them how you are feeling - they are there to help and they will be able to support you and suggest what they believe is best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending