The Student Room Group

Several people holding unconditionals in my class.

Hello TSR,
I applied to a university and got an unconditional offer, I then discovered that several other people in my class had also received an unconditional offer from the same uni and I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing, does it say something about the uni or is it normal for this to happen?

Thanks
Unconditional are usually given if the applicant is particularly strong in Scotland (or has already obtained the grades required). It says more about the individual actually.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AHJ
Hello TSR,
I applied to a university and got an unconditional offer, I then discovered that several other people in my class had also received an unconditional offer from the same uni and I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing, does it say something about the uni or is it normal for this to happen?

Thanks

Are these offers to people who have yet to finish their level 3 qualifications (eg A levels or equivalent)?

If so then they're usually a tactic from universities that struggle to recruit in order to convert applicants who would not otherwise have accepted an offer. They're there to benefit the university and to manipulate decision making rather than to "help" applicants.
Original post by AHJ
Hello TSR,

Thanks

If you had asked this question two years ago the answer would have been that either you had applied to a Scottish university or you already had the qualifications needed.

Now the situation is different as as English universities are increasingly tempting students who do not have the qualifications with unconditional offers, or with conditional offers that get converted to unconditional if you accept them firmly.

It is a marketing ploy to try to encourage students to firmly accept offers, thus grabbing them from under the noses of other universities, and not a comment on the strength of the application.

On no account must you let up in your efforts. Many employers look at both A-level results and degree results when making recruiting decisions, and if anything goes wrong at university a failed A-level student will have no way back into studying at another university.
Reply 5
We're all studying a Level 3 qualification and are from England, also, should I reconsider the university? As they were my first choice.
Original post by AHJ
We're all studying a Level 3 qualification and are from England, also, should I reconsider the university? As they were my first choice.

If they were your first choice before making you the offer then don't let the offer change you mind (and vice versa - if you weren't that interested before then don't pick them just because of the offer).

When you pick your firm choose the course and the university that is right for you REGARDLESS of what the offer conditions are.

You've got until May to decide on your firm (and insurance if your firm isn't unconditional) - use that time. Visit your universities again, talk to current students (online and in person - ask the university to put you in touch with someone already on the course), look at unistats, look at online reviews, look in detail at the course content and choices available to you, look at accommodation, look at social opportunities, look at work experience and part time work opportunities.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
If they were your first choice before making you the offer then don't let the offer change you mind (and vice versa - if you weren't that interested before then don't pick them just because of the offer).

When you pick your firm choose the course and the university that is right for you REGARDLESS of what the offer conditions are.

You've got until May to decide on your firm (and insurance if your firm isn't unconditional) - use that time. Visit your universities again, talk to current students (online and in person - ask the university to put you in touch with someone already on the course), look at unistats, look at online reviews, look in detail at the course content and choices available to you, look at accommodation, look at social opportunities, look at work experience and part time work opportunities.

Ok, thanks for the advice, I was hoping to get in touch with some of the professors at the unis, how would I go about getting in touch with them ?
Original post by AHJ
Ok, thanks for the advice, I was hoping to get in touch with some of the professors at the unis, how would I go about getting in touch with them ?

There should be contact details on the website
Reply 9
Original post by Good bloke
If you had asked this question two years ago the answer would have been that either you had applied to a Scottish university or you already had the qualifications needed.

Now the situation is different as as English universities are increasingly tempting students who do not have the qualifications with unconditional offers, or with conditional offers that get converted to unconditional if you accept them firmly.

It is a marketing ploy to try to encourage students to firmly accept offers, thus grabbing them from under the noses of other universities, and not a comment on the strength of the application.

On no account must you let up in your efforts. Many employers look at both A-level results and degree results when making recruiting decisions, and if anything goes wrong at university a failed A-level student will have no way back into studying at another university.

I did receive offers from all of the universities and I can easily achieve the conditions required by them, so I'll take some time to review my choices, thanks for the response!
It may not be bad news- I have an unconditional and my motivation has dropped because I have no-one to do the work for, only myself. I am still working hard but there is no target for me, but I am using the uni's course requirements as a guide.
Original post by Jamesshoreo
It may not be bad news- I have an unconditional and my motivation has dropped because I have no-one to do the work for, only myself. I am still working hard but there is no target for me, but I am using the uni's course requirements as a guide.

That’s right, you do need to carry on working hard and try not to lose motivation. That is the downside to unconditional offers and the reason why some people are against them although on face value they appear to be only a good thing for the students
Yeah, that's true. I think universities should give a reason with each unconditional, or don't give out as many. I'm stressing that I won't do well enough... Ugh, why did I accept it
Original post by harrysbar
That’s right, you do need to carry on working hard and try not to lose motivation. That is the downside to unconditional offers and the reason why some people are against them although on face value they appear to be only a good thing for the students
Yeah, that's true. I think universities should give a reason with each unconditional, or don't give out as many. I'm stressing that I won't do well enough... Ugh, why did I accept it

You were right to accept it if it was the Uni that you most wanted to go to. You just need to remember that A level grades are still important to employers and they will be looking at yours when the time comes for you to be applying for jobs

There are about 9,000 reasons why unis give unconditional offers...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending