The Student Room Group

So I broke down in uni today...

...like an utter pleb trying to make sure no one noticed me crying. Which I have not done in a long time. -.-

I bloody hate uni so much, Cannot wait for this course to be over in a few months so I never have to think about this again

My project is causing me so much stress and confusion it is literally making me ill and no one seems to be able to help me or offer guidance. And I'm just constantly sick with worry about the the future because this project is worth so much of my degree.

Basically just posting for a distraction.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SophieSmall
...like an utter pleb trying to make sure no one noticed me crying. Which I have not done in a long time. -.-

I bloody hate uni so much, Cannot wait for this course to be over in a few months so I never have to think about this again

My project is causing me so much stress and confusion it is literally making me ill and no one seems to be able to help me or offer guidance. And I'm just constantly sick with worry about the the future because this project is worth so much of my degree.

Just keep going! You'll be proud of yourself when you reach the end :h:
Original post by AshEntropy
Just keep going! You'll be proud of yourself when you reach the end :h:

The way things are going, I will not be proud of the end result.
2017-01-30-15-25-42-1311808664.png

Keep trying. You will manage. Perhaps you can see your lecturer for help?
Or I'll end up like my sister and fail my final year...

I had a meeting with them today, it was of 0 help. And I don't even think it was the tutors fault, I genuinely just don't seem mentally capable enough to grasp my project and what I should be doing. And the project itself is a bit of a shambles

It's okay to cry, you know. Sometimes things can get stressful and out of hand and all breaks loose, trust me I've been there. What is it about the project that's making you stressed? It is difficult or too much work?
Original post by 27FT
It's okay to cry, you know. Sometimes things can get stressful and out of hand and all breaks loose, trust me I've been there. What is it about the project that's making you stressed? It is difficult or too much work?

I know it's okay to cry, but it doesn't exactly help and it's frankly embarrassing for me to cry in public.

I don't understand my project or the point of it, so it's difficult to write up things like "rationale and aims of the project" for my report. And then there is the practical side of it. I have literally spent 4-5 hours chunk of time in the lab and come away with nothing that I can use because the project is a shambles.
I know it's okay to cry, but it doesn't exactly help and it's frankly embarrassing for me to cry in public.

I don't understand my project or the point of it, so it's difficult to write up things like "rationale and aims of the project" for my report. And then there is the practical side of it. I have literally spent 4-5 hours chunk of time in the lab and come away with nothing that I can use because the project is a shambles.

Could you speak to your lecturer. We do essentially pay them to teach and guide us through the course, just approach them with your concerns and maybe they can help explain the stuff you're struggling on. And I know it may feel embarrassing to cry in public but trust me when I say almost all students reach that stage so I'm sure you won't be mocked for it :smile:
At least you're trying. While I'm taking another gap year before I end up breaking down myself.
Or I'll end up like my sister and fail my final year...

I had a meeting with them today, it was of 0 help. And I don't even think it was the tutors fault, I genuinely just don't seem mentally capable enough to grasp my project and what I should be doing. And the project itself is a bit of a shambles

I think it's possible that the stress has hit you so you are unable to understand what you need to do? It's happened to me.
So clear your mind, tell yourself you can and you will do this, think you've got enough time. Now go back to you lecturer and this time you try to explain what you need to do, with the lecturer correcting you where needed, or giving input where needed.
Anyone on the course who can help you understand?
Go to doctors and see if you can get mitigating circumstances or something.

You might be able to get an extension to the deadline.

Yeah I totally emphasise with the lab stuff. I never had a ****ing clue what i was doing in my labs. The only reason I managed to get anything done was because my adviser and his phd student held my hand.
(edited 7 years ago)
I first thought the title read 'So I broke into uni today... '
Reply 12
Original post by XOR_

Original post by XOR_

haha god no, if anything I want to break out of uni.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Go to doctors and see if you can get mitigating circumstances or something.

You might be able to get an extension to the deadline.

Yeah I totally emphasise with the lab stuff. I never had a ****ing clue what i was doing in my labs. The only reason I managed to get anything done was because my adviser and his phd student held my hand.

Honestly an extension won't help much because basically as soon as this project stuff is due I have exams, I'll just be battling it all at once.

I just feel totally lost and hopeless, I don't even want to think about it anymore but I also literally cannot get it off my mind.
Honestly an extension won't help much because basically as soon as this project stuff is due I have exams, I'll just be battling it all at once.

I just feel totally lost and hopeless, I don't even want to think about it anymore but I also literally cannot get it off my mind.

I feel this is possibly a long-running saga, the details about which have been disclosed in earlier threads. However, for those of us who don't know the ins and outs, is there anything specific which you so hate about your current university and/or course?
Original post by Reality Check
I feel this is possibly a long-running saga, the details about which have been disclosed in earlier threads. However, for those of us who don't know the ins and outs, is there anything specific which you so hate about your current university and/or course?

It just doesn't interest me at all, I find most of the content incredibly tedious. Usually understanding the content isn't the problem (for most of my course) it's just the massive amounts of information I seem to have to just memorise, which I hate because I really struggle with my memory so I tend to do badly in exams, which makes me feel very pressured to do well in the coursework.

I haven't enjoyed much of how the course has been run or taught either. I mean there are some nice lecturers and some parts of the course have been engaging, but a lot of it is just not in my opinion (or from most of the people I have spoken to) up to scratch.
It just doesn't interest me at all, I find most of the content incredibly tedious. Usually understanding the content isn't the problem (for most of my course) it's just the massive amounts of information I seem to have to just memorise, which I hate because I really struggle with my memory so I tend to do badly in exams, which makes me feel very pressured to do well in the coursework.

I haven't enjoyed much of how the course has been run or taught either. I mean there are some nice lecturers and some parts of the course have been engaging, but a lot of it is just not in my opinion (or from most of the people I have spoken to) up to scratch.

And what course and Uni is this, or would you prefer not to say?
Original post by Reality Check
And what course and Uni is this, or would you prefer not to say?

LJMU Biomedical Science.

I'm in my final year and semester now, so there isn't long left. Not much can be done now about any past grievances or complaints I have about the uni/ course....and they don't usually do anything about current ones either. So basically just have to get on with it and hope for the best,
LJMU Biomedical Science.

I'm in my final year and semester now, so there isn't long left. Not much can be done now about any past grievances or complaints I have about the uni/ course....and they don't usually do anything about current ones either. So basically just have to get on with it and hope for the best,

Well, yes, frankly - you've got very little time left on your course so it's surely a case of looking forwards to June. It'll be June in a heartbeat.

Still, it's a shame that you're not going to be looking back on your time there with undiluted pleasure. I wonder whether once you've graduated, perhaps, with some distance, it might not seem such an awful experience after all. Do you think that might happen?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending