The Student Room Group

What language do bilinguals think in and can they think in their weaker language?

Scroll to see replies

depends on what im doing

if im reading a website that uses my native language, i think in that language
if im reading tsr, i think in english

same with speaking to people. being bilingual is not like knowing two languages, but rather knowing one big language with many ways of saying the same thing, you feel me
Original post by Craghyrax
I've always wondered about this. And whether you can think/feel some things in some languages that you can't in another

not really, but sometimes you remember how to e.g. name an object in one language, but forget how to do it in the other.
bit more awkward when you forget the name of that object in both languages and you have that image in your head and have to describe it by looks
Reply 22
Original post by frostyy
depends on what im doing

if im reading a website that uses my native language, i think in that language
if im reading tsr, i think in english

same with speaking to people. being bilingual is not like knowing two languages, but rather knowing one big language with many ways of saying the same thing, you feel me

What about when thinking on your own?
I speak English and Tamil at home. I think in English outside of home and also in my dreams but for some reason I think in Tamil when I'm around family and relatives.
Original post by jeuiuiu

depends on my last action
for example after i posted i went downstairs to get a snack and thought to myself in english
after speaking to my mother i'd think in my native language until I did something that required me thinking in english

that's generally how it is, but it depends, sometimes I think one sentence in my native language and then randomly switch to english just because it's more convenient and quicker
Reply 25
Original post by frostyy
depends on my last action
for example after i posted i went downstairs to get a snack and thought to myself in english
after speaking to my mother i'd think in my native language until I did something that required me thinking in english

that's generally how it is, but it depends, sometimes I think one sentence in my native language and then randomly switch to english just because it's more convenient and quicker

How many languages can you think in altogether?
Klingon and Parseltongue

My weaker language however is Dothraki and I often think in that when I'm trolling student forums
Reply 27
Original post by TheAdviser101
I speak English and Tamil at home. I think in English outside of home and also in my dreams but for some reason I think in Tamil when I'm around family and relatives.

Reply 28
Bump
Original post by jeuiuiu
How many languages can you think in altogether?

two
I am bilingual, speaking German and English, capable of thinking in my weaker language, the latter named one. Of course my native language is better in terms of pronounciation, vocabulary, grammar, expression, etc. But the foreign one is at a quite good level, I would say.
Original post by jeuiuiu
Bump

If you keep bumping you will pick up a warning, just to let you know. Bumping is against site rules. Unless its been a long wait (like a day) and even then only in moderation.
Reply 32
Original post by Kallisto
I am bilingual, speaking German and English, capable of thinking in my weaker language, the latter named one. Of course my native language is better in terms of pronounciation, vocabulary, grammar, expression, etc. But the foreign one is at a quite good level, I would say.

So you think in German?
Original post by jeuiuiu
So you think in German?

Yes, I do. That is nothing special, as I am living in Germany and was growing up there.
Reply 34
Original post by Kallisto
Yes, I do. That is nothing special, as I am living in Germany and was growing up there.

Can you think in English? How many languages can you think in altogether?
I'm in no way an expert in the German language but sometimes I find myself accidentally switching from English to German when I'm writing :s
Persian and English. Persian being my weaker Language although I'm fluent in both.

I think in English :smile:

For some specific things, i think in Persian though like religious things and things relating to my family?

But that's just me
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jeuiuiu
Can you think in English? How many languages can you think in altogether?

Did I have not mention it before? yes, I can think in English. Altogether, I just think in those named languages.
Reply 38
Original post by danielafshar
Persian and English. Persian being my weaker Language although I'm fluent in both.

I think in English :smile:

For some specific things, i think in Persian though like religious things and things relating to my family?

But that's just me

Can you think in Persian?
Original post by jeuiuiu
Can you think in Persian?

in the language like any other yeah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending