The Student Room Group

Do I add my income to finance application?

I currently work full time, when I head off to university in September I will be quitting my job as I am moving 350 miles to the other end of the country. When I do my finance application do I have to add my income if I won't have my job when I am at university? I just assumed that it would be the household income for whilst you're at uni?
Moved to Student Financial Support.
Reply 2
Original post by LucyPietrafesa
I currently work full time, when I head off to university in September I will be quitting my job as I am moving 350 miles to the other end of the country. When I do my finance application do I have to add my income if I won't have my job when I am at university? I just assumed that it would be the household income for whilst you're at uni?

Always best to check direct with Student Finance. If you look at the top of this Student Financial Support section, there's another section where you can post a question which will be answered by SF staff.

However, there are a few pointers I can give.

First off, how old are you? If you are under 25, then you will be assessed on your parents' income rather than your own. If you want to be assessed on your own income when you're under 25, then you need to prove that you've been earning enough to support yourself for three years before your course starts. SF use a figure of £7500 a year as the minimum for those years.

If you're 25 or over then you will automatically be assessed on your own income. This was the case for me. I know from previous discussions that different people in your situation, have been told different things. I gave up full-time work to study at uni full-time. When I asked SF (twice!) I was told to put my household income as zero on my SF application, which is what I did. It sailed through with no queries and I got the maximum Maintenance Loan.

Even if you are asked to enter your income from your job, there's no need to worry. If your household income drops by more than 15% between the year of the income you provided and the current tax year - which it inevitably will for you - then you can immediately ask to be reassessed based on the current tax year (your new zero household income). Usually SF will want to skip the two step assessment/reassessment process, which is a waste of their time if you're inevitably going to end up with the maximum anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88
Always best to check direct with Student Finance. If you look at the top of this Student Financial Support section, there's another section where you can post a question which will be answered by SF staff.

However, there are a few pointers I can give.

First off, how old are you? If you are under 25, then you will be assessed on your parents' income rather than your own. If you want to be assessed on your own income when you're under 25, then you need to prove that you've been earning enough to support yourself for three years before your course starts. SF use a figure of £7500 a year as the minimum for those years.

If you're 25 or over then you will automatically be assessed on your own income. This was the case for me. I know from previous discussions that different people in your situation, have been told different things. I gave up full-time work to study at uni full-time. When I asked SF (twice!) I was told to put my household income as zero on my SF application, which is what I did. It sailed through with no queries and I got the maximum Maintenance Loan.

Even if you are asked to enter your income from your job, there's no need to worry. If your household income drops by more than 15% between the year of the income you provided and the current tax year - which it inevitably will for you - then you can immediately ask to be reassessed based on the current tax year (your new zero household income). Usually SF will want to skip the two step assessment/reassessment process, which is a waste of their time if you're inevitably going to end up with the maximum anyway.

Thanks for your reply, I will contact student finance directly to check with them. I am only 20 and I miss the 3 year deadline unfortunately, it'll be 3 years working full time in October (right after I head off to uni). I am hoping that if I don't have to put down my income because if it's based on my dad's income alone it will be a maximum loan, but mine on top brings it down 1,500 a year, which is a lot to lose out on for a job I won't even have whilst I am at university!
Reply 4
Original post by LucyPietrafesa
Thanks for your reply, I will contact student finance directly to check with them. I am only 20 and I miss the 3 year deadline unfortunately, it'll be 3 years working full time in October (right after I head off to uni). I am hoping that if I don't have to put down my income because if it's based on my dad's income alone it will be a maximum loan, but mine on top brings it down 1,500 a year, which is a lot to lose out on for a job I won't even have whilst I am at university!

In that case, it will be the income of the parent(s) with whom you live, and that of a single parent's partner if they live in the same house. If you are assessed in this way, your own income will be disregarded.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending