The Student Room Group

Are my gcse grades good enough for a Russell group uni?

These were my grades:
RE- A
Maths- B
Core Science- B
Additional Science- B
English Lang- B
Geography- B
German- B
Computing- B
English Lit- C
DT- D

Obviously I'm not happy with these grades I lost out on an A*/A for add sci cause of a D in chemistry (A* coursework, 89 ums A for physics and 82 ums A in bio), an A in core sci cause of chemistry again, an A* in maths after a horrible first paper but my A* in the calc paper for maths wasn't enough to bring it overall to an A I was 3 marks off it as well as As in german and computing (how tf did I not get a in computing)

Aside from the tantrum considering if I get As for A level will it be possible for me to get into any Russell group uni and would I have an advantage at ucl due to my grade for german? My cousin attended university of Liverpool with lackluster grades at gcse but aced his a levels but could it be possible for me as well?
Thanks
PS- I'm not doing anything related to chemistry for a level and in uni lol
Original post by hg7787
These were my grades:
RE- A
Maths- B
Core Science- B
Additional Science- B
English Lang- B
Geography- B
German- B
Computing- B
English Lit- C
DT- D

Obviously I'm not happy with these grades I lost out on an A*/A for add sci cause of a D in chemistry (A* coursework, 89 ums A for physics and 82 ums A in bio), an A in core sci cause of chemistry again, an A* in maths after a horrible first paper but my A* in the calc paper for maths wasn't enough to bring it overall to an A I was 3 marks off it as well as As in german and computing (how tf did I not get a in computing)

Aside from the tantrum considering if I get As for A level will it be possible for me to get into any Russell group uni and would I have an advantage at ucl due to my grade for german? My cousin attended university of Liverpool with lackluster grades at gcse but aced his a levels but could it be possible for me as well?
Thanks
PS- I'm not doing anything related to chemistry for a level and in uni lol

Unless you're planning on applying for Cambridge tbh your GCSE grades don't really matter!! (And even then it's possible to get in with not great GCSEs). What universities will really look at are your predicted A level grades and what you get in AS (if you do the AS). Don't let your GCSEs hold you back from anything - they're not stellar, no, but they're not bad by any stretch of the imagination. The top Russel Group unis (aka Oxbridge, Durham etc.) might be a bit of a leap but even they explicitly state that what matters more to them are your A Level grades.
'Fraid I can't tell you anything about languages at UCL, but I can't really see why you'd have an advantage, again, because they look more at A levels.

Tl;dr: it is 100% possible for you to get into an RG uni like your cousin if you out in the effort and the work :biggrin:

Good luck!
Reply 2
I was put on lower tier papers in high school so my highest grades are Cs but I'm off to the University of Manchester in September, Don't stress yourself over GCSEs too much.
Original post by LiamHolt
I was put on lower tier papers in high school so my highest grades are Cs but I'm off to the University of Manchester in September, Don't stress yourself over GCSEs too much.

May i ask what course for?
Reply 4
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
May i ask what course for?

Bit of an odd one, Japanese Studies. However I can't stress enough how much more important it is to show character and determination in applications, everyone has some qualifications but at the end of the day they only show so much. If you apply and through your application the university can see your determined and passionate about the course you're applying for then you're more likely to be accepted than someone who comes across as a plank with perfect grades.

This is especially true with Russel group universities as they ask for high grades as standard so to narrow down the applicants they have to look at more than just the grades.
Reply 5
Original post by Ruthie2267
Unless you're planning on applying for Cambridge tbh your GCSE grades don't really matter!! (And even then it's possible to get in with not great GCSEs). What universities will really look at are your predicted A level grades and what you get in AS (if you do the AS). Don't let your GCSEs hold you back from anything - they're not stellar, no, but they're not bad by any stretch of the imagination. The top Russel Group unis (aka Oxbridge, Durham etc.) might be a bit of a leap but even they explicitly state that what matters more to them are your A Level grades.
'Fraid I can't tell you anything about languages at UCL, but I can't really see why you'd have an advantage, again, because they look more at A levels.

Tl;dr: it is 100% possible for you to get into an RG uni like your cousin if you out in the effort and the work :biggrin:

Good luck!

Lmao I'm obviously not applying to oxbridge (but could it be possible for Cambridge?) I'm just looking at rg unis in london good ones for computer science
Reply 6
I got into an RG with 5 GCSEs, with only one A, and a BTEC.
Original post by hg7787
Lmao I'm obviously not applying to oxbridge (but could it be possible for Cambridge?) I'm just looking at rg unis in london good ones for computer science

You'll be absolutely fine then, especially because the C and the D aren't in subjects to do with computing :smile:

Yeah it's possible for Cambridge but out of the two Oxbridge unis it's said that Cambridge pays more attention to GCSE grades and use those to deselect a lot of applicants.
You'll be absolutely fine then, especially because the C and the D aren't in subjects to do with computing :smile:

Yeah it's possible for Cambridge but out of the two Oxbridge unis it's said that Cambridge pays more attention to GCSE grades and use those to deselect a lot of applicants.

Thought it was Oxford instead of Cambridge that deselects a lot of candidates due to GCSE grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
Thought it was Oxford instead of Cambridge that deselects a lot of candidates due to GCSE grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whoops you're most probably right wolfie - I can never remember the right way around 🙈 Sorry hg!
Reply 10
Original post by hg7787

Original post by wolfmoon88

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxbridge is not out of the question. For CompSci, Oxford puts more emphasis on their MAT than GCSEs when selecting for interview. And Cambridge interviews approx 80% of applicants anyway, and then the CSAT can help improve your academic profile.

That said, going from a B in GCSE maths to a required A* at A-level will be a challenge.

What A-levels are you doing?
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
Oxbridge is not out of the question. For CompSci, Oxford puts more emphasis on their MAT than GCSEs when selecting for interview. And Cambridge interviews approx 80% of applicants anyway, and then the CSAT can help improve your academic profile.

That said, going from a B in GCSE maths to a required A* at A-level will be a challenge.

What A-levels are you doing?

Maths Physics and Computing, the B for maths gcse was unexpected I mean I was predicted A* but the non calc was horrendous lol, I could probably get A in a level maths if I revise lol
Reply 12
Original post by hg7787
Maths Physics and Computing, the B for maths gcse was unexpected I mean I was predicted A* but the non calc was horrendous lol, I could probably get A in a level maths if I revise lol

You need to be on target for A*A*A (the typical CompSci offer) with an A* in Maths to be a realistic Cambridge applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by jneill
You need to be on target for A*A*A (the typical CompSci offer) with an A* in Maths to be a realistic Cambridge applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean I'm mainly looking at unis in london not specifically Cambridge I'm just looking to see if I can get accepted to em considering my gcses lmao
Reply 14
Original post by hg7787
I mean I'm mainly looking at unis in london not specifically Cambridge I'm just looking to see if I can get accepted to em considering my gcses lmao

So to reiterate the answer for Cambridge; your GCSEs are not necessarily a problem if the rest of your application is very strong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by jneill
So to reiterate the answer for Cambridge; your GCSEs are not necessarily a problem if the rest of your application is very strong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that, so excluding any rg unis not in london what rg unis can I get into that is good for CompSci?
Reply 16
Original post by hg7787
Thanks for that, so excluding any rg unis not in london what rg unis can I get into that is good for CompSci?

Don't worry about a university being in the Russell Group or not. Find courses that interest you (courses are not the same), at universities you want to be at for 3+ years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending