The Student Room Group

Muslims currently at uni, what is your honest opinion of the culture?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cherub012
You mean the tuition fees and living costs?!

Yes but I will try to get a job in the campus shop or something to help pay for myself a bit.

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
OP what is your firm and insurance out of curiosity?

What do you mean?
Original post by AishaGirl
I may not get my 1st choice... Also I really really don't fancy travelling an hour to and from uni every single day.

It seems that it'd be much better for you to you to travel everyday rather than be exposed to so much fitnah.
Well if my dad buys me a car then I wouldn't mind driving but I really don't want to take the train everyday. The underground sucks as well in rush hour.

I'll do my best to get a same sex hall and I'll see if it's possible to get a hall with only Muslims but I highly doubt it. Maybe we can rent privately, I'll have to see.

After you've received offers, you could also try emailing the ISOC at those unis and see whether they can hook you up with private accommodation with other muslim girls. Some of the ISOCs definitely run accommodation finding services like that.
Original post by IdeasForLife
After you've received offers, you could also try emailing the ISOC at those unis and see whether they can hook you up with private accommodation with other muslim girls. Some of the ISOCs definitely run accommodation finding services like that.

Yeh I'll definitely email them and see what they can do.
Non Muslims, would you be bothered if a practising Muslim was in your hall? Someone who wears the hijab, prays, fasts etc?

Not at all. What other people do, how they worship, what they wear or when they eat is their own business. I really don't think this will be an issue for you going into halls, from my own experience of them.

I'm not Muslim myself, but as for university being 'like a brothel'... It's true that students do drink and have sex - that's part of the experience for some people. But there are plenty of students who for religious reasons, or just because they don't want to, don't do these things. That's the beauty of university, it's full of lots of different people. You are bound to meet other friends who also share your views.

Some universities also let you select female-only corridors, so you may want to look into that if you feel it would help. I know UCL offered this when I applied for halls.
Yes but I will try to get a job in the campus shop or something to help pay for myself a bit.

What do you mean?

So what's your first choice uni( your firm) and your second choice uni (your insurance)?
Reply 86
Original post by TheProphetsPath
It seems that it'd be much better for you to you to travel everyday rather than be exposed to so much fitnah.

If she has a firm belief in Allah, she shouldn't be worried about being "exposed to fitnah". By your logic, Muslims would leave their religion at the first occasion.
Original post by EllyJelly
Not at all. What other people do, how they worship, what they wear or when they eat is their own business. I really don't think this will be an issue for you going into halls, from my own experience of them.

I'm not Muslim myself, but as for university being 'like a brothel'... It's true that students do drink and have sex - that's part of the experience for some people. But there are plenty of students who for religious reasons, or just because they don't want to, don't do these things. That's the beauty of university, it's full of lots of different people. You are bound to meet other friends who also share your views.

Some universities also let you select female-only corridors, so you may want to look into that if you feel it would help. I know UCL offered this when I applied for halls.

Thanks. I'm probably overthinking it, I think a lot of the people replying are just trolling :rolleyes:
Sister your options
-commute
-private accommodation
-request for all female (doubt you can request for all muslims)
-email the i-soc at the university and see if they can arrange something suitable

You don't need to drink or have sex to enjoy uni life. Plenty of people do it, without letting go of their beliefs.
So what's your first choice uni( your firm) and your second choice uni (your insurance)?

I've not applied yet... I go to university next year.
Reply 90
Well I'm certainly not putting my food in a fridge full of bacon and ham! lol. As long as they respect my beliefs and I respect theirs it's all good.

If this is an issue then you need to request to be with other muslims, because they probably will be doing that.
I've not applied yet... I go to university next year.

Ohh right what uni do you want to go to and which one's your back up? I suggest if you really are worried about commuting being too much to you, do some research on the accommodation that's provided by the university. One of the unis I applied to have alcohol free zones and curfews with noise.
Original post by Josb
If she has a firm belief in Allah, she shouldn't be worried about being "exposed to fitnah". By your logic, Muslims would leave their religion at the first occasion.

The firm belief in Allah instils in you that you never let your guard down. Never think too highly of yourself.
Also, do you love me?? You do love talking to me an awful lot don't you? xx
Ohh right what uni do you want to go to and which one's your back up? I suggest if you really are worried about commuting being too much to you, do some research on the accommodation that's provided by the university. One of the unis I applied to have alcohol free zones and curfews with noise.

I would like to go to Imperial College London. I've not put too much thought into which universities specifically.

I just want to go to a good university which is "close" to where I live so I can go home on the weekends easily.
Reply 94
Original post by Carthaginian
Jesus Christ. What is your power level, wise one?

Beware, Carthaginian.
Ego iam a principio in parsimonia atque in duritia atque in industria omnem adulescentiam meam abstinui agro colendo, saxis sabinis, silicibus repastinandis atque conserendis.

Spoiler

:biggrin::biggrin:

OP, you clearly have the right to believe in what you want and conduct your life as you wish. But the tone of the whole thread was so excessive that I started questioning either your intelligence or the authenticity of your queries. And couldn't help myself from voicing this concern. I tried to establish if it was possible to bend you to reason, but your following posts made it clear that you are unredeemable, so I won't take this lost cause further.
As far as I'm concerned, what matters is that Carthage has been salted.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would like to go to Imperial College London. I've not put too much thought into which universities specifically.

I just want to go to a good university which is "close" to where I live so I can go home on the weekends easily.

So you want to stay in London? Check out KCL/UCL/Roehampton/Surrey/Reading too as backups. They might have accommo you'd like. I'd go against commuting unless it's on the Tube but even that can be a nightmare and it'll just drain you out depending on your workload.
Reply 96
Original post by RedManc
They should understand that majority of people will feel uncomfortable with them doing so, and they need to understand it is not a muslim country.

Are you actually serious? "Muslims need to undertsand its not a muslim country"?! They have the right to do whatever they want to do, if they pray they pray for themselves not be heard by others. Do you even know what praying is? And what do you even mean they shouldn't be allowed to pray in the halls and only pray in mosque? Do you want them to go to mosque for every single prayer there is? They would obviously pray n their rooms!
So you want to stay in London? Check out KCL/UCL/Roehampton/Surrey/Reading too as backups. They might have accommo you'd like. I'd go against commuting unless it's on the Tube but even that can be a nightmare and it'll just drain you out depending on your workload.

Thanks! I'll check them out.
Reply 98
Original post by TheProphetsPath
The firm belief in Allah instils in you that you never let your guard down. Never think too highly of yourself.
Also, do you love me?? You do love talking to me an awful lot don't you? xx

"Your guard down"? against what?

Once again, if your faith is strong, you shouldn't be afraid about losing it. You sound extremely insecure.

I do not love you, your posts are just so incoherent or uninformed that I feel the need to correct you.
Reply 99
Original post by Zee99
Are you actually serious? "Muslims need to undertsand its not a muslim country"?! They have the right to do whatever they want to do, if they pray they pray for themselves not be heard by others. Do you even know what praying is? And what do you even mean they shouldn't be allowed to pray in the halls and only pray in mosque? Do you want them to go to mosque for every single prayer there is? They would obviously pray n their rooms!

As I said to the person before who asked the exact same question. Read the previous posts to understand the context

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending