The Student Room Group

Relationship break up - am I making progress?

Hey everyone

I broke up with my ex on the 22nd December 2016. It has been one of the most difficult things that happened as it was unexpected and without reason. In short, the night before my ex told me he loved me like a normal night, I woke up in the morning and I was blocked from everyone.

Initially, I was a right state, confused, shocked and in constant thought of my ex. I would always check his social media and see when he was last online, even though it didn't help at all. When I went for walks, around campus or to the shops for example, he'd be on my mind for most of the time.

Now, almost two months on, I still think about my ex, at least for some time every day, but it is less and in passing. I still have the urge to check his social media, even though I know I shouldn't and it helps me in no way, I still just like to check it. I don't really know why.

My feelings towards my ex are less anger and more appreciative of the good times and reflective - sometimes I tear up, but I don't really cry a waterfall, as such.

Part of me feels slightly depressed in thinking that I am forgetting him - forgetting his voice, his style, and so on - because I don't know if that's what I want. Part of me wants to message him, but I pull back after a few sentences.

I just want an external perspective on this. I understand I've not given much context, but do people think I am doing better reading this? Does it seem I'm moving on? Is the feeling of depression normal?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
I meant blocked from everything***
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hey everyone

I broke up with my ex on the 22nd December 2016. It has been one of the most difficult things that happened as it was unexpected and without reason. In short, the night before my ex told me he loved me like a normal night, I woke up in the morning and I was blocked from everyone.

Initially, I was a right state, confused, shocked and in constant thought of my ex. I would always check his social media and see when he was last online, even though it didn't help at all. When I went for walks, around campus or to the shops for example, he'd be on my mind for most of the time.

Now, almost two months on, I still think about my ex, at least for some time every day, but it is less and in passing. I still have the urge to check his social media, even though I know I shouldn't and it helps me in no way, I still just like to check it. I don't really know why.

My feelings towards my ex are less anger and more appreciative of the good times and reflective - sometimes I tear up, but I don't really cry a waterfall, as such.

Part of me feels slightly depressed in thinking that I am forgetting him - forgetting his voice, his style, and so on - because I don't know if that's what I want. Part of me wants to message him, but I pull back after a few sentences.

I just want an external perspective on this. I understand I've not given much context, but do people think I am doing better reading this? Does it seem I'm moving on? Is the feeling of depression normal?

Thank you :smile:

Awww I totally understand where you are coming from. I myself was in a 2 year committed relationship before my partner ended it. It takes a lot of strength to recover from relationships where you become emotionally attached to someone else. It's totally normal to be thinking of your ex all the time, it's part of the healing process. Being in contact with your ex will not help you move on! Trust me i've been there and it only made it worse for me. I think you should keep trying to move on with your life as thats the best thing you can do. I'm now in another relationship with my current partner for a year now and am much happier than I ever was. I never thought I'd be with anyone but my ex-partner but I was wrong! Time will heal everything, always have faith and never give up. keep your friends and family close to you as much as you can. Don't bottle things up, open up to one of your best friends so they can support you through this tough time. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending