The Student Room Group

Do you have to be good at programming for CompSci Degree

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadowdweller
It will be involved, but that's not the same as needing to be good at it before going! Most unis will teach you from scratch.

In all honesty, you could get by without being 'good' at it during the course, as long as you had half decent marks; there are plenty of other modules you can bring your scores up with!

Yes also true, I was just trying to provide information on what to expect, the majority of posts in this thread hint at no math being involved in Computer Science, when the reverse is true :smile:

If you hate Math, you will most likely hate Computer Science.
Reply 21
Original post by Princepieman
Most ask for a B in GCSE Maths, only like 10-15 ask for A-level maths (usually A/A*).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, my memory ain't too great :colondollar:
Original post by loooopppyyy
Yes also true, I was just trying to provide information on what to expect, the majority of posts in this thread hint at no math being involved in Computer Science, when the reverse is true :smile:

If you hate Math, you will most likely hate Computer Science.

Also true, excellent point! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Carthaginian
Does computer science require a lot of maths?
I'm absolutely terrible at maths.
My target for GCSE is a scale 6 (B), yet for my mocks, I got 20%, 50/240, which is a U. However, i'm the best programmer in my school and have been doing so for years (LUA, Unity3d, Python), so would I pull it off?

Yes, Mathematics plays a HUGE role in Computer Science... if you don't want to do any maths, you may be better suited to Software Engineering - however please note that this will also have Mathematical concepts in it (e.g. big O notation).

Trying to do a computer science degree at a good university while being rubbish at maths is literally impossible. Sorry
Original post by COMPSCIKING111
Yes, Mathematics plays a HUGE role in Computer Science... if you don't want to do any maths, you may be better suited to Software Engineering - however please note that this will also have Mathematical concepts in it (e.g. big O notation).

Trying to do a computer science degree at a good university while being rubbish at maths is literally impossible. Sorry

I'd argue it's a different kind of maths to what you do at gcse though?

Being terrible at math in general would make it very difficult, but it's worth looking at the computing side of maths first!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My target for GCSE is a scale 6 (B), yet for my mocks, I got 20%, 50/240, which is a U. However, i'm the best programmer in my school and have been doing so for years (LUA, Unity3d, Python), so would I pull it off?

depends where you apply. a university like oxbridge/edinburgh/icl is going to have lots of maths.
I think its dependant where you go, our first year consists of;
Mathematics module (set theory, trees, graphs, finite state machines, propositional logc etc etc).
Studio1 module (Unix Bash programming and creating an application using Android Studio).
Project1 module (a group programming module where we need to conceptualise and build an app using any programming language we want),
Software Design and Development double module (Java programming, Junit testing and UML).
Hardware and Networks (number bases, binary, floating point binary, 1GL opcodes and networking).

I think its safe to say our Computing Science course is heavily focused on programming and Math. :smile:
Exactly, Math has ALOT to do with comp sci (which is why theres always math modules involved), things like set theory, sequences, finite state machines, regular expressions, these are all programming concepts which are core to understanding most thing programming that aren't trivial.

If you sign up for a Comp Sci course, its 3 years of your life that you need to be 100% informed on what sort of things you will be dealing with, better to know before you feel you made a mistake partway through your course, as going to Uni is an expensive decision.

i picked computer science , and now i regret it, my mind is more creative based rather logical
Reply 28

My mum says you will be a **** programist if you aren't good at maths/don't understand it. Having said that, my boyfriend isn't a mathematical genius and does quite well on his CompSci degree
Original post by Nottie
My mum says you will be a **** programist if you aren't good at maths/don't understand it. Having said that, my boyfriend isn't a mathematical genius and does quite well on his CompSci degree

What year is he in if you don't mind me asking?

Only asking as the first year is probably the least dependant on Math, when you get into advanced AI modules and stuff, not being good at Math might make these much tougher!

You don't need an A level in Maths or any preliminary education above GCSE level to go to a good university to read Computer Science. However at university they may teach you the maths related to CompSci which would later feed into specific modules in years 2 and 3/4 of your degree.
Reply 31
I'm doing computer science at university and been programming for 3+ years but I suck at maths past GCSE level. Programming doesn't require much more than basic maths unless it's algorithms and the specific ones you need get taught in lectures.
Original post by Killerpenguin15
You don't need an A level in Maths or any preliminary education above GCSE level to go to a good university to read Computer Science. However at university they may teach you the maths related to CompSci which would later feed into specific modules in years 2 and 3/4 of your degree.

I think you actually do for comp sci, you're thinking of software engineering.
A Levels AAB including Maths
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=G4022017
Reply 33

It depends on what uni you go to. Plenty of the high up universities don't ask for A level maths. Only GCSE maths at a certain level like at least a B

No, i'm thinking of Computer Science. I know because I study Computer Science at a top 50 university which doesn't require A level maths. And I have an AS level in Maths.

http://beta.www.hull.ac.uk/Study/UG/2017/computer-science.aspx

That's not to say you will completely avoid doing maths during CompSci at degree level - It is pretty much essential to any good Computer Science course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
No, i'm thinking of Computer Science. I know because I study Computer Science at a top 50 university which doesn't require A level maths. And I have an AS level in Maths.

http://beta.www.hull.ac.uk/Study/UG/2017/computer-science.aspx

That's not to say you will completely avoid doing maths during CompSci at degree level - It is pretty much essential to any good Computer Science course.

That's gone down:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by study beats
i picked computer science , and now i regret it, my mind is more creative based rather logical

Sometimes I regret it too. The logical part of programming is mind boring numbing at times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
That's gone down:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean? Uni of Hull is something like, 39th on the league table, last time I checked? :s-smilie:

Maybe top 40 University then :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38
What do you mean? Uni of Hull is something like, 39th on the league table, last time I checked? :s-smilie:

Maybe top 40 University then :tongue:

When I applied they wanted near 300 points:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Andy98
When I applied they wanted near 200 points:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's strange! When I applied they wanted 280 points across all my subjects, and I applied last year.

When did you apply? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending