The Student Room Group

TSRsians I need your humble advices

X x
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Supernova91
Ok . So one is feeling puzzled .

I have an unconditional offer for a masters at UoM that starts in September, I was offered this place last November (it's actually the reason I joined this site).

It's something I've been wanting to do for the past four years, but I am an 'adult' now and so I have to look at things sensibly :cry:.

When I say 'adult' I mainly mean that I have more outgoings than I did when I was doing my undergraduate.

For the past three years I've been working as a rep overseas , an unbelieve lifestyle and experience. It's one of those things where you say '**** it' and go and do it , it's not necessarily a great step financially. You don't do it for the money 💰 basically .

So now I have a few bills to pay off here and there so , whilst I have secured funding for tuition fees, it's maintaince that is causing me concern.

I don't believe the development loan to be an option as my credit score is a dud, I've looked at writing to finding bodies as well (still in the process of doing so) but this isn't going to be any form of steady income .

Whilst I was an undergrad , I always had a part time job, but anything more than 16 hours was too much - especially in third year !

I have a great job now , it's financially stable and a great company. But what I have gained in financial security I have lost in 'way of life' compared to repping. It's only temporary as my course starts in September.

However, am I silly to jeopardise this good job and go back to being a skint student ? Should I defer ? Should I study part time/work part time ? Or study full time and work part time ?

Basically , I'm more sure what to do. Anyone a current postgrad who can advise ? Or just anytime give me some wise words because I just do not know what to do with my life :laugh:

What do you need the degree for? How will it help?

I would think p/t or defer 1-2 years and rehabilitate your finances then do it. Doing a degree when you cant afford it will be miserable. It might be the last one you do, so ive yourself every chance and and be patient.
Original post by 999tigger
What do you need the degree for? How will it help?

I would think p/t or defer 1-2 years and rehabilitate your finances then do it. Doing a degree when you cant afford it will be miserable. It might be the last one you do, so ive yourself every chance and and be patient.

Well my long term goal is to be a lecturer or academic researcher, this masters will go towards my PHD ! You're right though , I do have time on my side .
Well my long term goal is to be a lecturer or academic researcher, this masters will go towards my PHD ! You're right though , I do have time on my side .

Just set a target and live with it. That means whilst you arent going, then you need to save and work overtime etc. Once you have £10k in the bank it gives you options. Don't stall and spend the money or it will be much longer till you get started. Check what the shelf life of an academic is.
if you feel like pursuing a masters degree will help you become supernova92 then go for it
Reply 5
Ok . So one is feeling puzzled 😕

I have an unconditional offer for a masters at UoM that starts in September, I was offered this place last November (it's actually the reason I joined this site).

It's something I've been wanting to do for the past four years, but I am an 'adult' now and so I have to look at things sensibly :cry:.

When I say 'adult' I mainly mean that I have more outgoings than I did when I was doing my undergraduate.

For the past three years I've been working as a rep overseas , an unbelieve lifestyle and experience. It's one of those things where you say '**** it' and go and do it , it's not necessarily a great step financially. You don't do it for the money 💰 basically .

So now I have a few bills to pay off here and there so , whilst I have secured funding for tuition fees, it's maintaince that is causing me concern.

I don't believe the development loan to be an option as my credit score is a dud, I've looked at writing to finding bodies as well (still in the process of doing so) but this isn't going to be any form of steady income .

Whilst I was an undergrad , I always had a part time job, but anything more than 16 hours was too much - especially in third year !

I have a great job now , it's financially stable and a great company. But what I have gained in financial security I have lost in 'way of life' compared to repping. It's only temporary as my course starts in September.

However, am I silly to jeopardise this good job and go back to being a skint student ? Should I defer ? Should I study part time/work part time ? Or study full time and work part time ?

Basically , I'm more sure what to do. Anyone a current postgrad who can advise ? Or just anytime give me some wise words because I just do not know what to do with my life :laugh:

Cutting it down to basics, it doesn't sound like you can afford to do the Masters. You won't have any money to live on and have little chance of getting appreciable funding beyond the PG Loan for the Masters fees. The little that is out there, is incredibly competitive and you're statistically unlikely to get it. You have debts left over from your repping lifestyle which will add to your financial problems if you do the Masters.

To my mind, as a full-time or even part-time Masters student, you'll be unlikely to earn enough to live on and service your existing debts. Every Masters is different, but my Masters workload was about twice that of my final undergrad year. I think your ability to take on paid work will be an issue if you struggled in your third year.

You miss your repping way of life, but a Masters is not going to give you that back. Your Masters student experience probably won't be as relaxed as your undergrad years either, especially when money will be such a problem.

It might be better if you cleared your current debts and spent a while saving up, with a view to doing a Masters sometime in the future.
Original post by Klix88
Cutting it down to basics, it doesn't sound like you can afford to do the Masters. You won't have any money to live on and have little chance of getting appreciable funding beyond the PG Loan for the Masters fees. The little that is out there, is incredibly competitive and you're statistically unlikely to get it. You have debts left over from your repping lifestyle which will add to your financial problems if you do the Masters.

To my mind, as a full-time or even part-time Masters student, you'll be unlikely to earn enough to live on and service your existing debts. Every Masters is different, but my Masters workload was about twice that of my final undergrad year. I think your ability to take on paid work will be an issue if you struggled in your third year.

You miss your repping way of life, but a Masters is not going to give you that back. Your Masters student experience probably won't be as relaxed as your undergrad years either, especially when money will be such a problem.

It might be better if you cleared your current debts and spent a while saving up, with a view to doing a Masters sometime in the future.

Thanks for this !

I'll have my bills paid by September , that's how financially stable this job is . Maybe an extra year of work will make it even better though , you're right !
Original post by 999tigger
Just set a target and live with it. That means whilst you arent going, then you need to save and work overtime etc. Once you have £10k in the bank it gives you options. Don't stall and spend the money or it will be much longer till you get started. Check what the shelf life of an academic is.

Yeah , I know from previous experiences that money won't make me fully happy but being stable financially certainly helps :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending