The Student Room Group

OCR Media Studies 2017 Exam Predictions

18th May 2017, does anyone have any predictions what the questions will be in tv drama and audience/insitutions??
Any extra revision or exam tips to boost my grade?
Thanksssss
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Age or Ethnicity is my guess
I'm resitting AS Media this year and last year we covered gender so I'm pretty much ruling that out, but who knows what the crazy folk at OCR are doing. I'm personally guessing Age, Ethnicity or Class and Status. Last year we had marketing so I'm guessing Production Distribution or Distribution Exchange
And for tips:
Remember to include at least 3 examples for each micro element (don't forget about editing, it's just as important), state the representation being created straight away, make clear links between an example and a representation and don't rely on dialogue solely when it comes to sound, you need other examples. Include relevant theory to reiterate your points.

For section b, budget and box office figures, sales etc. ARE YOUR FRIEND. Backing up your points with figures is super important and helps make your answer appear more insightful. Include as many case studies as possible but remember to embed them. Always read the specifics of the question, if it wants to know about production, don't show off all the marketing knowledge you have.
Reply 5
Original post by chloebeth99
And for tips:
Remember to include at least 3 examples for each micro element (don't forget about editing, it's just as important), state the representation being created straight away, make clear links between an example and a representation and don't rely on dialogue solely when it comes to sound, you need other examples. Include relevant theory to reiterate your points.

For section b, budget and box office figures, sales etc. ARE YOUR FRIEND. Backing up your points with figures is super important and helps make your answer appear more insightful. Include as many case studies as possible but remember to embed them. Always read the specifics of the question, if it wants to know about production, don't show off all the marketing knowledge you have.

Thank you thats really helpful, good luck on the exam tomorrow hope we all do well xx
Reply 6
Original post by matdil
Age or Ethnicity is my guess

Alright thanks, thinking regional identity or disability as they only came up once
Reply 7
I'm thinking age, disibility, or Regional Identity... But revising them all!
Original post by chloebeth99
And for tips:

Awesome tip! Another thing you can do to make sure you get into the top band is to cover the 4 areas in layers. For example, write a paragraph about camerawork, then editing, then sound, then mise-en-scene. That's 4 paragraphs which is one layer. To achieve a A-B grade you want to have covered each area at least 2-3 times. This means having 2-3 layers.

You can have them in any order. In fact it's more beneficial to start them off in what you prefer the most in. For example I prefer sound, mise-en-scene, camerawork and editing in that order. So I will structure my paragraphs in that order and once I write a paragraph about each I will start over again, completing my previous layer. This ensures that you get into the top band and is a very smart way to structure section A in my opinion.
Reply 9
What did you guys think of the exam? Didn't think it would be gender at all!
Neither did I. Does anyone know like a list of things you could have included in the audiences section for music? (If you're doing music)
Original post by TSR_2000
What did you guys think of the exam? Didn't think it would be gender at all!

When I first saw the extract I saw much more ethnicity elements rather than gender and I got slightly worried, what points did you make?
(edited 6 years ago)
I wrote about the confusing in how society decides to treat women and how even when treated as innocent there is still constant fear and also how the two girls are expected to be disposable and do the dirty work for the men they work for. Thats all I could kind of get out of it to do with gender
Hope you all found the exam okay:smile: It was almost the same as last years paper which I was supprised at, gender then marketing again! Although did anyone get stuck on the wording of section b? I know a few at my school did but hopefully I addressed it as I should.
We had a dilema before our exam though the school lost the DVD for TV Drama! Meant we all had to wait an extra half hour whilst they found it.
(edited 6 years ago)
i mentioned how they were wearin vests in the car, then wore the cardigans in the airport, almost covering themselves to not get attention- so theyre seen sexually- what do you guys thin? am i right or wrong? so scared!
I FOUND THE EXAM SOOOOO GOOD!

I walked in thinking I'd do terrible as I didn't really revise media as I was focused on my other more academic subjects.

The gender question was amazing I wrote 7 pages in total but it seemed to be more about ethnicity? It was easy to write about. I wrote about 2 sides for cinematography but 1 side for mise en scene, and 1 for sound; 1 for editing. I was really happy about my editing paragraph as I usually find it most difficult but I had a lot to write about.

Question 2 was so easy about marketisation. I wrote 6 pages. I wrote about Skyfall for one case study. Marketisation through interviews and posters and gaming app and social media. Also it was the first bond movie shot digitally. Synergy through promotion deals with Coca Cola and Heineken etc. Also, I touched on the music industry too as Adele wrote 'Skyfall' song and she is a big British star and mentioned it in Jimmy Fallon interview which was a form of marketing - she was signed to a company under Sony.
I also wrote about marketisation through its new tech and the fact that people were reacted to its 3D cinematic experiment and piracy was reduced. Also, 4 trailers and use of star power and comic con oh yh and Ellen promoted the movie in her show as her company Telepictures was also under Sony

Overall, I am feeling so confident about media and I also got 88/100 in coursework which is an A.
Original post by MarxHatesParsons
I FOUND THE EXAM SOOOOO GOOD!

I walked in thinking I'd do terrible as I didn't really revise media as I was focused on my other more academic subjects.

The gender question was amazing I wrote 7 pages in total but it seemed to be more about ethnicity? It was easy to write about. I wrote about 2 sides for cinematography but 1 side for mise en scene, and 1 for sound; 1 for editing. I was really happy about my editing paragraph as I usually find it most difficult but I had a lot to write about.

Question 2 was so easy about marketisation. I wrote 6 pages. I wrote about Skyfall for one case study. Marketisation through interviews and posters and gaming app and social media. Also it was the first bond movie shot digitally. Synergy through promotion deals with Coca Cola and Heineken etc. Also, I touched on the music industry too as Adele wrote 'Skyfall' song and she is a big British star and mentioned it in Jimmy Fallon interview which was a form of marketing - she was signed to a company under Sony.
I also wrote about marketisation through its new tech and the fact that people were reacted to its 3D cinematic experiment and piracy was reduced. Also, 4 trailers and use of star power and comic con oh yh and Ellen promoted the movie in her show as her company Telepictures was also under Sony

Overall, I am feeling so confident about media and I also got 88/100 in coursework which is an A.

Did you not talk about how independent film companies market? That was half the question.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ZWalker2000
Did you not talk about how independent film companies market? That was half the question.

OH ****. Not so confident now. What do you think I would get for it out of 50 then? I got 88/100 for coursework and I think I got like 38/50 for gender question that is like a grade C based on last years boundaries.

As long as I get a C in media I don't really care because I am more focused on my more traditional A-levels.
Original post by MarxHatesParsons
OH ****. Not so confident now. What do you think I would get for it out of 50 then? I got 88/100 for coursework and I think I got like 38/50 for gender question that is like a grade C based on last years boundaries.

As long as I get a C in media I don't really care because I am more focused on my more traditional A-levels.

Actually, last year 80/100 on the written paper was an A, so you getting 38/50 on the gender is a solid B, partnered with your coursework you're on track for an A bro.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending