The Student Room Group

BTEC - to Russell Group - First Class - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Great job man. Keep working hard and don't give up. I heard Applied Science is very demanding - DDD would get you into all of those uni's you have mentioned. They're high quality in terms of research and quality of social life.

I'd firm York or Newcastle with UEA insurance.

Also - be sure to research the Uni's GCSE reqs as well.

What degree have you applied to?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 21
Studied Applied Science (Forensic Science).

Got an offer, DDD, for Uni of York. It's easily possible. I also got an offer from Lboro.
Original post by JooW
Studied Applied Science (Forensic Science).

Got an offer, DDD, for Uni of York. It's easily possible. I also got an offer from Lboro.

Very nice man. I wish you luck pursuing your degree. Keep the BTEC success stories coming in!

Which uni did you firm?
They're both great degrees. My only advice is to look up the core modules, see how they're assessed in terms of coursework and exam. See which one's you're familiar with, and make sure you have a passion for the degree as it's three-four years of your life.

Not many uni's accept your BTEC for english, however they do for the Physics and Natural Sciences, so I say choose one and pursue it.
Oh my days. This Russell group mentality again... ugh. Go for which uni y'all like/want to complete a degree at. Ty
Original post by DreamsCanHappen
Dear all,

BTEC students have always been criticised due to the fact it's not a "traditional route" to university.

I studied a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business & have finished my first year at a Russell Group university, feel free to ask me any questions.

Pursuing a Bachelor of Science.

IMB? (on a real, there are some buff people in this course for some reason)

What's your 'number'?

How often do you get turnt?

Any spring week luck?

Plans for the next academic year (recruiting, socities w/ever)?

Are you a member of EFS? (if so, I know the president for next year cool guy def try to chat to him)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
I initially took AS levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. I dropped out of Physics after a few weeks due to it not being right for me. Following the exams I had failed Maths (U) and got an E grade in both Biology and Chemistry.
I then subsequently retook Year 12 with a BTEC Diploma in Applied Science with Psychology A-Level to make 3 subjects. Ultimately I scored 100% on my BTEC course with a D final grade in Psychology and was accepted to The University of Hull where I studied Biomedical Science and have now graduated with a 2.1 and been accepted to study an MSc in Medical Microbiology. So BTECs definitely do not close any doors, instead offer students with alternative routes in Higher Education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
UCL & BSc Management Science.

Did you make a dupe account just to post this thread?

UCL's website says BTECs are "not acceptable" for the Management BSc, so presumably the entry requirements have changed since you applied.
Original post by Snufkin
Did you make a dupe account just to post this thread?

UCL's website says BTECs are "not acceptable" for the Management BSc, so presumably the entry requirements have changed since you applied.

I got a transfer onto the course, due to my combination of A levels and BTEC.

However, yes you are correct - the entry requirements have not changed - it still does not accept BTEC due to the heavy maths material in the course.
Original post by Sacred Ground
Oh my days. This Russell group mentality again... ugh. Go for which uni y'all like/want to complete a degree at. Ty

Go for which uni you like. I agree with you there. However, this thread is purely for one purpose - to show TSR that it is possible with a BTEC to go to the top RG universities out there and to do well there.
Many thanks for sharing your BTEC success story. Congratulations - well done. You didn't let the BTEC sterotypes get to you! What's your career plans for the future after your MSc? Good luck on the MSc buddy!

Original post by JDobson1995
I initially took AS levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. I dropped out of Physics after a few weeks due to it not being right for me. Following the exams I had failed Maths (U) and got an E grade in both Biology and Chemistry.
I then subsequently retook Year 12 with a BTEC Diploma in Applied Science with Psychology A-Level to make 3 subjects. Ultimately I scored 100% on my BTEC course with a D final grade in Psychology and was accepted to The University of Hull where I studied Biomedical Science and have now graduated with a 2.1 and been accepted to study an MSc in Medical Microbiology. So BTECs definitely do not close any doors, instead offer students with alternative routes in Higher Education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Management Science Pieman. Number is confidential. SW luck - One Bank - FO. Soceities, we'll see how it goes. EFS - Yes - I know the President.

Original post by Princepieman
IMB? (on a real, there are some buff people in this course for some reason)

What's your 'number'?

How often do you get turnt?

Any spring week luck?

Plans for the next academic year (recruiting, socities w/ever)?

Are you a member of EFS? (if so, I know the president for next year cool guy def try to chat to him)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Management Science - BSc

Extended Diploma - Distinction in all units. 420 UCAS points (D*D*D*) - Complemented with CompSci A level - Grade A.

Many thanks.

Career aspirations: Most likely top 4 tech house or possibly Investment Banking.. work myself up there, set up a tech firm.. Get on that self-employed life once bored of the city..

UCL - Right in the centre of the capital, everything is there. Great facilities, student life is good, meet lots of other people through other uni's around the area. Teaching quality may be lacking, however they're still up too scratch.
Career service & propesects are amazing since it's a target uni for most top employers.
Reply 33
Very nice man. I wish you luck pursuing your degree. Keep the BTEC success stories coming in!

Which uni did you firm?

Firmed York and Insured Loughborough, although it's one of the best universities in the country for teaching quality and it's higher in league tables so on so forth, my home was with York
Great choice honestly. York top Uni, top city & has great teaching quality. Good luck with the grades buddy!

Original post by JooW
Firmed York and Insured Loughborough, although it's one of the best universities in the country for teaching quality and it's higher in league tables so on so forth, my home was with York
Reply 35
Great choice honestly. York top Uni, top city & has great teaching quality. Good luck with the grades buddy!

Thank you!
I'm still looking down on Btecs unless you do three other A-Levels along side it.
Get to a QS World Ranked 7 university and then you are allowed to comment on my thread again.

Original post by s4b3rt00th
I'm still looking down on Btecs unless you do three other A-Levels along side it.
Original post by s4b3rt00th
I commented again.

Comment again from your top 100 UK uni's WIFI connection
Comment again from your top 100 UK uni's WIFI connection

Staggering how quickly we become hypocrites when confronted with criticism.

Was not the purpose of this thread, in addition to the licking of ones own *******, to denounce the laughable 'elitism' lauded by A level students over BTEC students?
And yet within 30 posts you devolve into participating in the very thing you sought to vilify in the first place.

Who are you to dictate who can post in this thread depending on uni rankings?

Similar to BTEC vs A Level, the ranking of a uni will have little impact on the vast majority of employment opportunities in most job sectors. In fact BTEC vs A Level may have an even bigger impact than uni rankings as A Levels allows a greater breadth of opportunities in higher education. To label people for one whilst simultaneously pleading for people to avoid labelling you for the other is hypocrisy at its finest.

Anyways have fun at UCL, a pretty good uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending