The Student Room Group

I can't stand my best friend at the moment

Hey guys,

So since we left for the summer holidays after GCSES my best friend and I have been pretty distant. It's not that we are not social but i think we both lack to skill to organise events.

So fast forward to prom (about 2 weeks) after we left, we've met up once to go to the cinema before but that's all. At prom everything goes wrong for me- I get really panicked and self conscious (and have now had a really bad couple of weeks dealing with the anxiety which has formed) and basically spend the whole evening sat in the corner. She on the other hand went off with others (which I'm fine with because I know she's far more of a party person than me). After prom we didn't talk for a couple of days but I just needed to get away from my phone.

Right so let's fast forward again to last week, we both got tickets to see a singer however on the day of the concert I was at another school doing induction days. On that morning I get a text saying that in order for them to take me to the concert (which we had previously agreed to do) I would have to leave school early. Obviously this was a massive inconvenience as I was already at the school. So I say that I'll make my own way there. After the school day finishes I make my own way to the concert but I haven't spoken to them all day and they have no interest in meeting at the concert so I spend it alone sat at the back of the venue. More importantly however was that it was their idea to go to the concert and for us two to go together but that one went down the drain.

So I guess most people's response would just be to ignore her for a bit and perhaps start talking when I'm perhaps feeling a little less anxious, but I've got to spend 3 weeks with her doing NCS starting tomorrow. I'm dreading it.

Right so that is rant over. Am I being unreasonable by saying I can't stand her? How do I survive the next 3 weeks with a person I can't seem to understand at the moment?

Also please be nice it is my birthday today!!
Reply 1
Original post by Wirefox
Hey guys,

So since we left for the summer holidays after GCSES my best friend and I have been pretty distant. It's not that we are not social but i think we both lack to skill to organise events.

So fast forward to prom (about 2 weeks) after we left, we've met up once to go to the cinema before but that's all. At prom everything goes wrong for me- I get really panicked and self conscious (and have now had a really bad couple of weeks dealing with the anxiety which has formed) and basically spend the whole evening sat in the corner. She on the other hand went off with others (which I'm fine with because I know she's far more of a party person than me). After prom we didn't talk for a couple of days but I just needed to get away from my phone.

Right so let's fast forward again to last week, we both got tickets to see a singer however on the day of the concert I was at another school doing induction days. On that morning I get a text saying that in order for them to take me to the concert (which we had previously agreed to do) I would have to leave school early. Obviously this was a massive inconvenience as I was already at the school. So I say that I'll make my own way there. After the school day finishes I make my own way to the concert but I haven't spoken to them all day and they have no interest in meeting at the concert so I spend it alone sat at the back of the venue. More importantly however was that it was their idea to go to the concert and for us two to go together but that one went down the drain.

So I guess most people's response would just be to ignore her for a bit and perhaps start talking when I'm perhaps feeling a little less anxious, but I've got to spend 3 weeks with her doing NCS starting tomorrow. I'm dreading it.

Right so that is rant over. Am I being unreasonable by saying I can't stand her? How do I survive the next 3 weeks with a person I can't seem to understand at the moment?

Also please be nice it is my birthday today!!

I should probably say that I'm not blaming her for what happened at prom as well.
Firstly, happy birthday for tomorrow!

Now back to the situation. Awww, that's such a horrible position to be in, sorry about all of that! :frown: and I can only imagine how you must be feeling with the challenge coming up now too! But honestly, from someone who only speaks to her old best friend on birthdays and special occasions - I think it's a good opportunity to really try and fight for your friendship.

I don't know how close you guys were, but I told my best friend everything, she was the only person I could ever truly be myself around and our friendship fell apart about 5 years ago, and I just let it, despite how close we were and all our memories. Looking back now, everything seems so small and meaningless but at the time, I took it so seriously and now I don't have someonenof that importance in my life anymore.

So I guess my advice to you is to try and see past it and reallyndo your best to get back to how you once were :smile: good luck!
Happy Birthday

But I don't blame your friend that you kind of left her, when all she wanted to do was be with you. At least you get to spend time with her at NCS.
It all seems a series of misunderstandings
But from what you say, everything that has gone wrong is actually of your doing, wether intentional or not
Perhaps she's a little fed up of things changing from what you've agreed. And she hasn't actually done anything wrong
Wether you continue your friendship or not is up to you. I don't think there's anything that can't be solved with a chat
I think it's really important that you try and get some help to manage your anxiety. For the prom to cause you so much means it's becoming a real problem so try and deal with it soon
Contact your friend, meet up and have a trip out. Life's too short
And I sincerely hope that you've had a lovely birthday !
First of all happy birthday.

A similar thing happened to me after GCSE me and my best friend barely saw each other (and we live 5 minutes from each other) But if I'm honest I'm glad I stopped talking to her bevause it wasn't a good friendship, for several reasons which I'll not bore you with the details. If you aren't worried about it let the friendship go. As for NCS, use the opportunity to make new friends.
Reply 6
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Happy Birthday

But I don't blame your friend that you kind of left her, when all she wanted to do was be with you. At least you get to spend time with her at NCS.

Original post by Sammylou40
It all seems a series of misunderstandings
But from what you say, everything that has gone wrong is actually of your doing, wether intentional or not
Perhaps she's a little fed up of things changing from what you've agreed. And she hasn't actually done anything wrong
Wether you continue your friendship or not is up to you. I don't think there's anything that can't be solved with a chat
I think it's really important that you try and get some help to manage your anxiety. For the prom to cause you so much means it's becoming a real problem so try and deal with it soon
Contact your friend, meet up and have a trip out. Life's too short
And I sincerely hope that you've had a lovely birthday !

Original post by Ellie419
First of all happy birthday.

A similar thing happened to me after GCSE me and my best friend barely saw each other (and we live 5 minutes from each other) But if I'm honest I'm glad I stopped talking to her bevause it wasn't a good friendship, for several reasons which I'll not bore you with the details. If you aren't worried about it let the friendship go. As for NCS, use the opportunity to make new friends.

Thank you all!,
I am quite vocal with the anxiety and i do have a good support network behind me and I think it might of been the loud music and social pressure which triggered it. I am a shy person which may also of contributed

I did tell her that I was going off my phone for a bit (and if she needed me then I would try and respond). But I genuinely think that it would benefit all people my age if we just take a couple of days out from our phones.

Maybe this could just be a teenage stage? But once again thank you all for responding and sharing your views on it- you've made me view it in a different way.
Reply 7
Original post by sleepinglions
Firstly, happy birthday for tomorrow!

Now back to the situation. Awww, that's such a horrible position to be in, sorry about all of that! :frown: and I can only imagine how you must be feeling with the challenge coming up now too! But honestly, from someone who only speaks to her old best friend on birthdays and special occasions - I think it's a good opportunity to really try and fight for your friendship.

I don't know how close you guys were, but I told my best friend everything, she was the only person I could ever truly be myself around and our friendship fell apart about 5 years ago, and I just let it, despite how close we were and all our memories. Looking back now, everything seems so small and meaningless but at the time, I took it so seriously and now I don't have someonenof that importance in my life anymore.

So I guess my advice to you is to try and see past it and reallyndo your best to get back to how you once were :smile: good luck!

Thank you as well!!!!
I'm sorry that you lost your friend, and I hope that one day you can make it up or find someone just as important.
Original post by Wirefox
Thank you all!,
I am quite vocal with the anxiety and i do have a good support network behind me and I think it might of been the loud music and social pressure which triggered it. I am a shy person which may also of contributed

I did tell her that I was going off my phone for a bit (and if she needed me then I would try and respond). But I genuinely think that it would benefit all people my age if we just take a couple of days out from our phones.

Maybe this could just be a teenage stage? But once again thank you all for responding and sharing your views on it- you've made me view it in a different way.

i agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending