The Student Room Group

Applying through clearing as a mature student

Hi!

I'm hoping to start a BSc in Psychology as a mature student. I thought I was too late to begin studying this year, so recently made a UCAS account for 2018 entry.

However, I've just found out that my preferred university has spaces left available through clearing. I really want to get started on my degree sooner rather than later, so I was wondering if I can do it this way.

My problems are:

1) I haven't applied for student finance yet if I get started now, will I receive my loan in time for September?
2) Must I make a new UCAS account for 2017 entry? Should that be finished and submitted before I start trying to call the university's clearing line?

I am a bit panicked and excited so I'm all over the place at the moment. If anyone can help me out I would be really grateful.
Original post by thebluebottle
Hi!

I'm hoping to start a BSc in Psychology as a mature student. I thought I was too late to begin studying this year, so recently made a UCAS account for 2018 entry.

However, I've just found out that my preferred university has spaces left available through clearing. I really want to get started on my degree sooner rather than later, so I was wondering if I can do it this way.

My problems are:

1) I haven't applied for student finance yet if I get started now, will I receive my loan in time for September?
2) Must I make a new UCAS account for 2017 entry? Should that be finished and submitted before I start trying to call the university's clearing line?

I am a bit panicked and excited so I'm all over the place at the moment. If anyone can help me out I would be really grateful.

1)You should get tuition and the non income assessed part of the loan in time, the rest of your loan might be late.
2)Yes you'd need a ucas application ready submitted and a clearing number. The only exception is if the university will accept you outside of the ucas system through something called a record of prior acceptance.
Original post by claireestelle
1)You should get tuition and the non income assessed part of the loan in time, the rest of your loan might be late.
2)Yes you'd need a ucas application ready submitted and a clearing number. The only exception is if the university will accept you outside of the ucas system through something called a record of prior acceptance.

Thanks so much. That's a relief about the loan.

Should my university choices on my new application remain unchanged? Is there a point in giving all 5 options even though they will probably not all have extra spaces this year?
Thanks so much. That's a relief about the loan.

Should my university choices on my new application remain unchanged? Is there a point in giving all 5 options even though they will probably not all have extra spaces this year?

As you'd be going straight into clearing, you don't need to fill in the choices section of the application.
As you'd be going straight into clearing, you don't need to fill in the choices section of the application.

Okay, great. I just wanted to ask one more question if I submit my application now but don't get a place through clearing, will it affect my ability to apply for 2018 entry as I originally intended to?
Okay, great. I just wanted to ask one more question if I submit my application now but don't get a place through clearing, will it affect my ability to apply for 2018 entry as I originally intended to?

It won't affect a 2018 application so nothing to lose really
It won't affect a 2018 application so nothing to lose really

Thanks for all your help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending