The Student Room Group

Can I resit an exam that I have already passed?

I have recently received my results and needless to say, I am extremely dissapointed with them. During my first two years of university, my averages were 69.5% with a mixture of module marks sitting comfortably in a 2:1 and 1st degree classification. However, last year during the summer I was involved in a hit and run, as a motorcyclist rammed against me on a stolen bike while I was crossing the pedestrian walk. This lead me to be taken to hospital and have reconstructive surgery on my forehead. Rather than taking the year off to recover, as it was suggested, I delved deep onto it so as to evade myself of what had happened and have something to focus on instead. Throughout this year I have worked incredibly hard and my essay feedback, as well as that of my dissertation demonstrate that I was actually delivering work that was in the first class.

However, my exam results say something completely different. I have petioned two of them (my disssertation + one exam which were 67 and 68%, respectively) to be sent off for remarks as while I am well aware of the possibility that they may be marked down I happen to know the quality of work delivered in both and given that they are borderline it is a risk worth taking. But going back to the topic at hand, the fact that I got a 49% has crushed me completely. I did study for that exam in particular, but the day after I was sitting the exam I was called to testify at ccourt, and, as it had already been postponed once, I was requested to attend or else my case would be dropped and I would have to start litigating all over again.

As a result, my mind wasn't on that exam and while I'd admit that I was quite happy with its outcome after all, when I got my results I felt devastated. Although I was told that based on my performance, my lowest grades got "cancelled" (based on preponderance of the highest marks), they are still reflected on the breakdown and there is no way to make a 49% look good to any employer or during any Masters application. Moreover, it brought my average from 73% down to a 64.5%, as my last year counts a 70% towards my overall grade. I know it is a 2:1 degree classification and certainly a respectable grade, but I couldn't help but feel cheated and robbed. I'd admit that I should have been much more focused, but I wasn't able to control what has happened to me this past year and I know if I was on my right mind I would have been able to get the high marks that had been predicted to me throughout the year.

So that's why I am seeking out advice on whether is there any possibility to resit a grade that has been passed and not get it capped to 40%, by showing the evidence of my presence at the hearing or requesting mitigating circumstances given the proximity to the date it occurred (my exam was on the 24th of May, the first anniversary of my accident on the 25th)?. I know I can also send the exam to be remarked, but my grade still hasn't be closed and I just wanted to sort out this before my degree classification is awarded and thus without possibility to request any changes to it. I could also have the opportunity of asking for remarks, but I don't know if it would make a difference or not and if, by any chance, it would mean that I couldn't request a reassessment.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by redpimpernel
I have recently received my results and needless to say, I am extremely dissapointed with them. During my first two years of university, my averages were 69.5% with a mixture of module marks sitting comfortably in a 2:1 and 1st degree classification. However, last year during the summer I was involved in a hit and run, as a motorcyclist rammed against me on a stolen bike while I was crossing the pedestrian walk. This lead me to be taken to hospital and have reconstructive surgery on my forehead. Rather than taking the year off to recover, as it was suggested, I delved deep onto it so as to evade myself of what had happened and have something to focus on instead. Throughout this year I have worked incredibly hard and my essay feedback, as well as that of my dissertation demonstrate that I was actually delivering work that was in the first class.

However, my exam results say something completely different. I have petioned two of them (my disssertation + one exam which were 67 and 68%, respectively) to be sent off for remarks as while I am well aware of the possibility that they may be marked down I happen to know the quality of work delivered in both and given that they are borderline it is a risk worth taking. But going back to the topic at hand, the fact that I got a 49% has crushed me completely. I did study for that exam in particular, but the day after I was sitting the exam I was called to testify at ccourt, and, as it had already been postponed once, I was requested to attend or else my case would be dropped and I would have to start litigating all over again.

As a result, my mind wasn't on that exam and while I'd admit that I was quite happy with its outcome after all, when I got my results I felt devastated. Although I was told that based on my performance, my lowest grades got "cancelled" (based on preponderance of the highest marks), they are still reflected on the breakdown and there is no way to make a 49% look good to any employer or during any Masters application. Moreover, it brought my average from 73% down to a 64.5%, as my last year counts a 70% towards my overall grade. I know it is a 2:1 degree classification and certainly a respectable grade, but I couldn't help but feel cheated and robbed. I'd admit that I should be more focused, but I wasn't able to control what has happened to me this past year and I know if I was on my right mind I would have been able to get the high marks that had been predicted to me throughout the year.

So that's why I am seeking out advice on whether is there any possibility to resit a grade that has been passed and not get it capped to 40%, by showing the evidence of my presence at the hearing or requesting mitigating circumstances given the proximity to the date it occurred (my exam was on the 24th of May, the first anniversary of my accident on the 25th)?. I know I can also send the exam to be remarked, but my grade still hasn't be closed and I just wanted to sort out this before my degree classification is awarded and thus without possibility to request any changes to it. I could also have the opportunity of asking for remarks, but I don't know if it would make a difference or not and if, by any chance, it would mean that I couldn't request a reassessment.

Different unis will have different policies on remarks. So it may be possible - but it depends on your uni's policies. This means the only people who can help you would be your tutor, or possibly the student union. You may be able to find the answer yourself on the uni website or in your course handbook.
Original post by Juno
Different unis will have different policies on remarks. So it may be possible - but it depends on your uni's policies. This means the only people who can help you would be your tutor, or possibly the student union. You may be able to find the answer yourself on the uni website or in your course handbook.

Thank you very much. On my student handbook it says that, "at the discretion of the exam board, a student may be permitted another chance at an uncapped assessment if said performance is affected by circumstances that are out of their control and if the mark is below that which has been achieved on average throughout the duration of the degree". The problem is that the head of my department is away for an excavation so he won't be reading any emails until mid-August. I have dropped him a message so hopefully he will be listening to it sooner than later. I made sure to inform him that this is quite urgent, given that I need fulfill the conditional offer of the university where I intend to sit my PGDip.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you very much. On my student handbook it says that, "at the discretion of the exam board, a student may be permitted another go at an uncapped assessment if said performance are affected by circumstance of their control and if the mark is below that which has been achieved on average throughout the duration of the degree". The problem is that the head of my department is away for an excavation so he won't be reading any emails until mid-August. I have dropped him a message so hopefully he will be listening to it sooner than later. I made sure to inform him that this is quite urgent, given that I need fulfill the conditional offer of the university where I intend to sit my PGDip.

Use the time before you get a reply to gather up as much evidence as possible. Look for old hospital letters, appointment letters, police/insurance letters so you have as much proof as possible about how the accident affected you. If you can find evidence of meetings where you were advised to take a year off to recover then find that - or just write down the date and who told you, if you can remember it. Try to find feedback that shows you were working at a higher standard.

It sounds like your uni is open to resits in exceptional circumstances, so you just need to work on convincing them that you merit this.
Thank you very much. On my student handbook it says that, "at the discretion of the exam board, a student may be permitted another chance at an uncapped assessment if said performance is affected by circumstances that are out of their control and if the mark is below that which has been achieved on average throughout the duration of the degree". The problem is that the head of my department is away for an excavation so he won't be reading any emails until mid-August. I have dropped him a message so hopefully he will be listening to it sooner than later. I made sure to inform him that this is quite urgent, given that I need fulfill the conditional offer of the university where I intend to sit my PGDip.

Given the urgency, don't wait with an email sitting in a dead inbox. Also email the next most senior academic in the department, the student union, your personal tutor the administrator of the exam board etc.

As a result, my mind wasn't on that exam and while I'd admit that I was quite happy with its outcome after all, when I got my results I felt devastated. Although I was told that based on my performance, my lowest grades got "cancelled" (based on preponderance of the highest marks), they are still reflected on the breakdown and there is no way to make a 49% look good to any employer or during any Masters application. Moreover, it brought my average from 73% down to a 64.5%, as my last year counts a 70% towards my overall grade. I know it is a 2:1 degree classification and certainly a respectable grade, but I couldn't help but feel cheated and robbed. I'd admit that I should have been much more focused, but I wasn't able to control what has happened to me this past year and I know if I was on my right mind I would have been able to get the high marks that had been predicted to me throughout the year.

Regarding all these extenuating/adverse circumstances, did you bring these to the attention of the university before you sat the examinations in question? Most universities have a 'fit to sit' policy, whereby if you sit an examination you are accepting that you cannot retrospectively apply for extenuating circumstances. What is your university's policy on this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending