The Student Room Group

A Levels and Uni

Hello everyoneI've just finished my GCSEs and came out with good results (much to my surprise seriously..!) and I just wanted to know the best A Level courses to do to get into a top university, like Cambridge or something. Also any advice on going about the university application process and interview procedures would be helpful, thanks..!Everybody, like family and friends keep offering their opinions and I know they're just trying to help, but it's making me feel really conflicted about what I want to do with my future.. (sorry just had to air this all out) - this is causing me to stress so much and I haven't even started my A Levels yet!
Original post by 12KK
Hello everyoneI've just finished my GCSEs and came out with good results (much to my surprise seriously..!) and I just wanted to know the best A Level courses to do to get into a top university, like Cambridge or something. Also any advice on going about the university application process and interview procedures would be helpful, thanks..!Everybody, like family and friends keep offering their opinions and I know they're just trying to help, but it's making me feel really conflicted about what I want to do with my future.. (sorry just had to air this all out) - this is causing me to stress so much and I haven't even started my A Levels yet!

It really depends what you enjoy doing, any combination of A Levels can get you into Cambridge if you do well in them! Just pick subjects you know you enjoy and you'll then have fun doing them, there's no point doing an A Level because you think it's 'good' if you're not fully interested in it.
Reply 2
Original post by EmilySarah00
It really depends what you enjoy doing, any combination of A Levels can get you into Cambridge if you do well in them! Just pick subjects you know you enjoy and you'll then have fun doing them, there's no point doing an A Level because you think it's 'good' if you're not fully interested in it.

Thanks for the quick reply! A lot of people have been telling me that elite unis like Oxbridge only look favourably on students with 3 core A Level subjects, so any of the sciences with English/Maths.. is this true or do you think I still stand a chance with my current A Level options of Maths, Eng Lit, Business Studies & Sociology (provided I do well in them of course 😂)
Original post by 12KK
Thanks for the quick reply! A lot of people have been telling me that elite unis like Oxbridge only look favourably on students with 3 core A Level subjects, so any of the sciences with English/Maths.. is this true or do you think I still stand a chance with my current A Level options of Maths, Eng Lit, Business Studies & Sociology (provided I do well in them of course 😂)

Those sound like a great set of A-Level's with a great range, you need to take this 'hard' and 'soft' A-Level thing with a pinch of salt as it's really not very relevant. As long as a couple of your A-Levels relate to your degree (so they meet the subject requirements for said degree) then you'll be fine with getting offers!

Have you any idea what degree you'd consider going into after completing those A-Levels?
Reply 4
Those sound like a great set of A-Level's with a great range, you need to take this 'hard' and 'soft' A-Level thing with a pinch of salt as it's really not very relevant. As long as a couple of your A-Levels relate to your degree (so they meet the subject requirements for said degree) then you'll be fine with getting offers!

Have you any idea what degree you'd consider going into after completing those A-Levels?

I was considering a HR and Business Management degree but tbh I still haven't decided fully yet! What degrees would you recommend, trust me I'm open to any suggestions, as I haven't got anything for the next two years planned 😂😂
Original post by 12KK
I was considering a HR and Business Management degree but tbh I still haven't decided fully yet! What degrees would you recommend, trust me I'm open to any suggestions, as I haven't got anything for the next two years planned 😂😂

Considering my knowledge set is in Maths and Computer Science i'm not sure i'm the one who should be advising you what degree to do. Only you know what kind of thing you'll enjoy and after Year 12 you'll have more of an idea after you work out which your favourite subject at A-Level is.

I'd urge you to not stress out about your exact degree just yet and focus more on putting all you can into your A-Levels. By the end of year 12 you'll probably find you have much more of an idea of what degree you want to do than you do now!
Reply 6
Considering my knowledge set is in Maths and Computer Science i'm not sure i'm the one who should be advising you what degree to do. Only you know what kind of thing you'll enjoy and after Year 12 you'll have more of an idea after you work out which your favourite subject at A-Level is.

I'd urge you to not stress out about your exact degree just yet and focus more on putting all you can into your A-Levels. By the end of year 12 you'll probably find you have much more of an idea of what degree you want to do than you do now!

Ok thanks for the advice..! Really put my mind at ease.. out of curiousity, is maths at a level hard? I got a 7 (A) at GCSE, so I'm hoping I'm not taking on more than I can handle! Because I really want an A at A Level and I intend to put as much effort into it as I did into all of my night before gcse revision..! 😂😂 (and more don't worry) 😂🤓
Original post by 12KK
Ok thanks for the advice..! Really put my mind at ease.. out of curiousity, is maths at a level hard? I got a 7 (A) at GCSE, so I'm hoping I'm not taking on more than I can handle! Because I really want an A at A Level and I intend to put as much effort into it as I did into all of my night before gcse revision..! 😂😂 (and more don't worry) 😂🤓

I personally don't find A Level maths too bad, especially considering I do further maths which just automatically forces me to practice a lot of more complicated maths. A Level is definitely a step up though, you obviously can't expect it to just be a walk in the park. In your case considering you got an A at GCSE you should do absolutely fine as long as you put the effort in and revise :smile:
Reply 8
I personally don't find A Level maths too bad, especially considering I do further maths which just automatically forces me to practice a lot of more complicated maths. A Level is definitely a step up though, you obviously can't expect it to just be a walk in the park. In your case considering you got an A at GCSE you should do absolutely fine as long as you put the effort in and revise :smile:

Wow so you do further maths as well as a level! You must be so good..! If you don't mind me asking what do you hope to do after sixth form?
Original post by 12KK
Wow so you do further maths as well as a level! You must be so good..! If you don't mind me asking what do you hope to do after sixth form?

I'm really no genius haha I just enjoy maths! I'd like to do a joint honours degree in Maths and Computer Science after sixth form, not sure where yet but I'm applying to Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Lancaster and Liverpool I think!
Reply 10
I'm really no genius haha I just enjoy maths! I'd like to do a joint honours degree in Maths and Computer Science after sixth form, not sure where yet but I'm applying to Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Lancaster and Liverpool I think!

That's so good! Wish you the best of luck for the future! 👍🏽👍🏽 And hope you get into the uni you want..!
Original post by 12KK
That's so good! Wish you the best of luck for the future! 👍🏽👍🏽 And hope you get into the uni you want..!

Thank You! :tongue: I wish you the best of luck too and I hope you enjoy your A-Levels and sixth form! (I think sixth form is great by the way, free periods are an absolute blessing and I've no idea how I coped without them.)

Quick Reply

Latest