The Student Room Group

EPQ - interested in a serial-killer related question to research...

Current A-Levels:
- Psychology
- Sociology
- Biology

I've been trying to formulate ideas for over a week now and I'm not having much luck. Due to crime being a wide topic, I narrowed it slightly down to serial killers as I'm genuinely fascinated by that kind of stuff (I watch so much about them on Netflix). I'm hoping to go to university to study something related to crime one day.

My teacher hasn't been great for EPQ, not giving much information to us. I don't know how specific the questions must be, or many other details. He told us to find a book to buy (price doesn't matter) and two journal articles related to our question. He also said that it needs to be made academic but I'm not sure about that.

Of course, not many of us have questions yet.

If anyone can help/prompt me then I'd appreciate it.. I'll try to reply with as much information as I can (after all it is my question) but I'm finding it difficult.

Thanks guys, please be patient with me because I lack common sense according to my family. :-)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
My next lesson is on Wednesday.
Reply 2
Original post by Traore
My next lesson is on Wednesday.

You have to remember you're going to be writing 5000 words about it. its a bit too niche to do it entirely on serial killers. id maybe look at a few university modules for a course you want to study and try and derive at an answer from there. and also to get top marks in the dissertation you usually have to give your own verdict, don't see how that is feasible based on your title.
I actually disagree with Light.Y - I don't think serial killers is too niche a topic at all. The first thing to ask yourself in order to find a topic to write about would be what exactly is it that interests you so much about serial killers? Is it to do with how their brains work - in that case related to psychology, or perhaps the types of background they come from - in that case related to sociology, or is it something entirely different?

If you want to message me, I am more than happy to help you find a topic. I've just graduated from Uni and I got a first in my dissertation, of which an EPQ is kind of a miniature version of sorts, so I can help you to make it academic s required.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks people!
Reply 5
*bump* does anyone else have any ideas? I appreciate it.

I know I probably have a morbid fascination with crime, probably because it brings me face to face with my own mortality. I just love it. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Traore
*bump* does anyone else have any ideas? I appreciate it

Are serial killers made through nature or nurture
Reply 7
Original post by Vanessasworld
Are serial killers made through nature or nurture

From what I've seen, that question has been done a lot and I don't want to become a sheep. I've also heard that I may not be allowed to do that since nature/nurture come up in sociology and psychology.

Thanks though
What makes a killer? Killers: is maternal deprivation to blame? Institutionalisation and murderers. Does attachment type influence criminality? - all psychological questions.

Killer: material deprivation, cultural deprivation? Do serial killers act out of frustration towards society? Is relative deprivation to blame? - all sociological questions.

Also, why wouldn't you be allowed to do nature vs nurture, I think that's perfect? In fact when I did my EPQ I was advised to do something related to my subjects, which coincidentally were biology psychology and sociology like you. It will look really good with unis when you apply.

Seriously, link it to both psych and soc, it will lead to easier research thanks to your textbooks and will look very academic if you choose to do a dissertation.

P.S your EPQ teacher does sound very
S H I T
I've never heard anybody conduct an EPQ like that.
Is your teacher asking for 2 journal articles for this Wednesday? You're gonna want a lot more sources for this if that's what they've recommended for the entire thing.
Original post by Traore
*bump* does anyone else have any ideas? I appreciate it.

I know I probably have a morbid fascination with crime, probably because it brings me face to face with my own mortality. I just love it. :smile:

I agree with becky its not too niche at all.

You dont seem very invested in it. I prefer not to tell people the subject in most cases as its your essay and should come from you. If you are as into serial killers as you say, then think about what interests you and what you wish to interest the examiner with? It would be quite easy to incorporate aspects of all three.

You need to decide on a question or way of spinning a title though.
Reply 11
Original post by Vikingninja
Is your teacher asking for 2 journal articles for this Wednesday? You're gonna want a lot more sources for this if that's what they've recommended for the entire thing.

I'm pretty sure that it isn't for the entire thing, that would be ludicrous.
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
If you are as into serial killers as you say, then think about what interests you and what you wish to interest the examiner with? It would be quite easy to incorporate aspects of all three.

Thanks, that's a great way to think about it.
Hi Do you think you can help me out? My initial project started off as a nature - nurture debate on serial killers but now I want to change it completely and I can't find an interesting enough topic relating to law.
Reply 14
hi, are you able to help me with my EPQ, I have got 1000 words and I'm stuck where to take it to next. I have wrote my introduction, and my first title which was, what makes ups a murderer? my second subtitle was the public view of murderes and now i am researching. and writing up how is it possible to rehabliate a murderer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending