The Student Room Group

Boring uni flat mates

Sorry if this is long and ranty

But, It's my first year of university, and I had some high expectations as my brother raved about his experiences, and I can't complain that much, I have a massive room with my own en-suit, my flat mates keep the kitchen clean and don't leave massive piles of plates and cutlery in the sink and my course is going really go so far, it feels like I'm on holiday at the moment

But the one thing that's disappointed me is my flat mates, I placed with 3 other girls all my age (18) and they're lovely, but we just don't talk to each other, when there's 2 of us in the kitchen, it's like pulling teeth to have a conversation and I'm the only one who initiates it, I mean I did think maybe i didn't give them a chance to speak first, so when I was in the kitchen and one of the girls came in i said 'hi' and then didn't say anything else, hoping she would start up a conversation, but nope, just 10 mins of awkward science while we both made our dinner.

Now I understand that they have their own life and problems but the way my brother talked about his flat mates in his first year made it sound like everyone goes to freshers and people migrate toward the town at least twice a week. Now I've had the drinking experience don't get me wrong, I used to go out when I was 16 drinking at the clubs and bars with my friends so I know what it's like and what my limits are, but with my flat mates, notning, we don't talk or have pres, they didn't even goto freshers! I basically wasted £15 on a wristband I used once, Becuse although I'm outgoing, I hate going new places alone.

Am I just over reacting? Or should I give my flat mates more time before we actully do something fun together?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by rtc99
Sorry if this is long and ratty.

But, It's my first year of university, and I had some high expectations as my brother raved about his experiences, and I can't complain that much, I have a massive room with my own en-suit, my flat mates keep the kitchen clean and don't leave massive piles of plates and cutlery in the sink and my course is going really go so far, it feels like I'm on holiday at the moment

But the one thing that's disappointed me is my flat mates, I placed with 3 other girls all my age (18) and they're lovely, but we just don't talk to each other, when there's 2 of us in the kitchen, it's like pulling teeth to have a conversation and I'm the only one who initiates it, I mean I did think maybe i didn't give them a chance to speak first, so when I was in the kitchen and one of the girls came in i said 'hi' and then didn't say anything else, hoping she would start up a conversation, but nope, just 10 mins of awkward science while we both made our dinner.

Now I understand that they have their own life and problems but the way my brother talked about his flat mates in his first year made it sound like everyone goes to freshers and people migrate toward the town at least twice a week. Now I've had the drinking experience don't get me wrong, I used to go out when I was 16 drinking at the clubs and bars with my friends so I know what it's like and what my limits are, but with my flat mates, notning, we don't talk or have pres, they didn't even goto freshers! I basically wasted £15 on a wristband I used once, Becuse although I'm outgoing, I hate going new places alone.

Am I just over reacting? Or should I give my flat mates more time before we actully do something fun together?

I totally understand your frustrations at not having sociable flatmates, however it could be that your flatmates don't want to go out for whatever reason. Never fear though, the good thing about university is that there are lots of different ways to meet people- other flats, your course, societies, you do have to put in more of an effort but it should be worth it.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
I totally understand your frustrations at not having sociable flatmates, however it could be that your flatmates don't want to go out for whatever reason. Never fear though, the good thing about university is that there are lots of different ways to meet people- other flats, your course, societies, you do have to put in more of an effort but it should be worth it.

Yeah, Ive started talking to some people on my course and they seam more up for hanging out, ive been here for three weeks now, but every week the people from my course have gone home, and i would do that but a retun ticket even with a rail card is £50 so, thats a little annoying ahah. Guess i've just gotta see how things play out, thank you :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending