The Student Room Group

Is it worth the price?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
that is why i also have a gaming PC and mac for just the looks and reliability
Reply 21
Original post by RogerOxon
One, cheaper laptop, is fine. My son is reading Mathematics and Computer Science at Imperial. He has a $600 laptop (good spec for the price, which he setup to dual boot Windows and Linux) and a couple of RaspberryPis. You really don't need more.

you just reminded me of raspbery pis, they will be perfect for coding and can replace a pc i had a dual boot laptop but it doesnt have the same keyboard and stuff makes it a bit different i will see the cost in total and if too much i will take it out
I'll just borrow everyone else's stuff and take my mum's laptop
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by RogerOxon
A gaming PC and MacBook Air are not going to be long-term purchases. IT equipment dates quickly. Buy a reasonable laptop and call it a day. It'll cost a fraction of a high-end setup.

another reason i said gaming pc was because i could easily upgrade the components but i guess i can do it at a lower cost. i'm going to budget £2000 for everything i need including bedroom equipments, kitchen and everything
I agree with what everyone is saying. A 40" TV is ridiculous. Whether youre using it as a TV or Monitor its just dumb. As a monitor, youll been looking around a lot and having to move your head around like that will pain your neck. You could easily just have a 24" Monitor and be great.

As for the Macbook, where do I start. Its ridiculously overpriced unless you get a second hand one. (Which you should definitely do)

As for the "gaming PC" considering you put gaming in there, you already know that its not necessary.

Alarm clock? Its 2017 just use your phone.
Original post by wolto
another reason i said gaming pc was because i could easily upgrade the components

Which you can also do on a cheap PC. You simply don't need high performance personal IT equipment for any university course.

i'm going to budget £2000 for everything i need including bedroom equipments, kitchen and everything

£1000 would be too much. I've just spent a week in the UK buying equipment for my son to start university - probably £300 plus his laptop, an Ethernet switch and cables. You can always buy a PC later if you still think that you need one.

You're going to have to transport or store this stuff.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by GamingAnonymous
I agree with what everyone is saying. A 40" TV is ridiculous. Whether youre using it as a TV or Monitor its just dumb. As a monitor, youll been looking around a lot and having to move your head around like that will pain your neck. You could easily just have a 24" Monitor and be great.

As for the Macbook, where do I start. Its ridiculously overpriced unless you get a second hand one. (Which you should definitely do)

As for the "gaming PC" considering you put gaming in there, you already know that its not necessary.

Alarm clock? Its 2017 just use your phone.

i guess i was just overwhelmed haahah definetly not following that plan now i have to remember im saving for years worth so yeah my bad 40" is totally terrible but might still get the mac
Original post by wolto
How much did you spend on essentials before starting university, like laptops, irons, pillow, etc how much did you guys spend overall before paying for the accommodation rent

I wanted to start budgeting for 2018 very far but I’m waiting hahah I have made a list and this cost £2300 excluding student discount is this a good cost or too much?
Apple MacBook Air
40 inch tv
Gaming pc for IT student
Alarm clock
Kettle
Iron
Power extension
Ethernet cable

Is there anything else I need apart from basic bedroom stuff and is it good for the cost? Thanks

Almost nothing
Macbook? jesus just get a reliable one which is ok for like 300-400 quid man
u defo don't need a tv just use your laptop man
do you rly need that gaming pc? just use your laptop .__.
just use your phone for alarm xD
kettle depending on which accomodation you might need
iron i guess if youw ant straight clothes, make sure you got a ironing board too tho but rly washing and a drying rack is good enough
extension is probably usefull check your uni accomodation rules tho

here tho is a site i took from here ages ago and saved it it outlines the majority of essentials

http://www.savethestudent.org/extra-guides/freshers/30-mistakes-every-first-year-will-make.html

it is absolutely worth the read
Reply 28
just get a good laptop instead of the two at like 1k
Reply 29
Original post by SaDe7
just get a good laptop instead of the two at like 1k

Do you know any windows laptops under 1K i could get a mac for 800 and a pc for 200?
Reply 30
get an msi one they are very good
I bought a macbook pro off of ebay for about 600 quid. I7 processor, 16gb ram. I used bootcamp so I can run both windows or macOS. I'm not much of a gamer so it does everything i need it to do.
Reply 32
Original post by wasimchy
I bought a macbook pro off of ebay for about 600 quid. I7 processor, 16gb ram. I used bootcamp so I can run both windows or macOS. I'm not much of a gamer so it does everything i need it to do.

Can’t trust eBay but I can get new for £800 with student discount and I have a PS4 for gaming so that ain’t a problem
I only bought a laptop as everything else was provided excluding my cutlery and everyday items

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending