The Student Room Group

British people are the most unapproachable people & only interact with their own race

I'm a British Indian but I feel like people ignore me here or look down on my because I'm not extroverted. It seems they just like hanging out with their own race which sucks because I go to a uni with a very high majority of white persons.

In Asian countries, people are so much more friendly. Will talk to you if you're standing in a queue or something and just overall have a better atmosphere.

People just seem to be more willing to talk to white people and it's pretty sad because I feel so left out because just give me a chance. It's not like I don't try to talk: I do but people never return the effort. It's just hi, how are you one time then I never talk to them again, even if I bump into them in the street they just pretend I'm not there.
When I go out with few people I've just been tagging along with, people give full attention to them and not me. I'm just there in the shadows.

When I go to lectures, people will purposely sit in a different row even if there are more convenient better seats in my row.

Also it seems people also ignore the ugly people and will overall make less effort to interact with someone who isn't good looking. Maybe it's just me but certainly seems that way and I have noticed this a lot

Seems petty to say but when I went to Starbucks, the guy didn't even ask for my name to put on the cup. Ok you may not be able to spell it but atleast ask?

British people are just unapproachable, buried either in their phones or in headphones yet they pride themselves on being the friendly nation.

EVeryone lives such a sheltered solitary life it's depressing.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can’t categorise the whole country based on the people you have met.

I’m British Indian aswell, I’ve had no problems making friends at university and I commute too.
Agreed, which is why they voted Brexit. They dislike non-white people.
Which city do you live in?
Point 1: British isn't a race. You can be British and be black, white etc.

Point 2: All of this is anecdotal evidence, which means nothing. My experience has been the polar opposite of yours. White British people (which I assume you refer to when you mean British) have been some of the friendliest people to me, and a lot of my best friends are white. In my (anecdotal) perception, I've found that international students are unapproachable and only hang around with their own cultures etc. But it'd be wrong for me to generalise because of that.

It seems your own insecurities are shining through this post. You're making minor incidences seem larger than it actually is.
Not all, many people often stick with there races because they find it easier to relate too. Check out Bradford for instance, if you were to walk into a school, or even a neighbourhood, you would (stereo typically speaking; yes I know this isn't always the case) see a load of Pakistanis in one little friendship group, the whites in another etc. etc.
I don't think it's a colour issue. I'm white but not of British ancestry and had such a hard time making friends with white British people at university. It was pretty much like you describe. I've been to many countries and British people are by far the least friendly.
Not talking to you has literally nothing to do with your race for me it's that I don't want to talk to someone I don't know. British culture is based on the fact people don't talk to strangers in public that's just how it is. It's not the fact you're a different colour it's literally just that they don't know you and that's just culturally how things are here and something you will have to get used to. British people don't like small talk and will avoid it. The only people who tend to engage in small talk with strangers are old people.
Sorry hit post before I finished typing. Try making friends with international students. I made some great friends with internationals.
Reply 9
Original post by Ishax
You can’t categorise the whole country based on the people you have met.

I’m British Indian aswell, I’ve had no problems making friends at university and I commute too.

They're cold and reserved af.
And every categorisation works on basing on a number not the whole system so yes I can.
I could be having lunch on my own with a group of English people right next to me having a good time and they will not even look in my direction. Does this happen in other countries? I know it doesn't in the Asian ones. People are generally way more considerate and will actually try and be friendly rather than stick their nose in their phones all the time.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a British Indian but I feel like people ignore me here or look down on my because I'm not extroverted. It seems they just like hanging out with their own race which sucks because I go to a uni with a very high majority of white persons.

In Asian countries, people are so much more friendly. Will talk to you if you're standing in a queue or something and just overall have a better atmosphere.

People just seem to be more willing to talk to white people and it's pretty sad because I feel so left out because just give me a chance. It's not like I don't try to talk: I do but people never return the effort. It's just hi, how are you one time then I never talk to them again, even if I bump into them in the street they just pretend I'm not there.
When I go out with few people I've just been tagging along with, people give full attention to them and not me. I'm just there in the shadows.

When I go to lectures, people will purposely sit in a different row even if there are more convenient better seats in my row.

Also it seems people also ignore the ugly people and will overall make less effort to interact with someone who isn't good looking. Maybe it's just me but certainly seems that way and I have noticed this a lot

Seems petty to say but when I went to Starbucks, the guy didn't even ask for my name to put on the cup. Ok you may not be able to spell it but atleast ask?

British people are just unapproachable, buried either in their phones or in headphones yet they pride themselves on being the friendly nation.

EVeryone lives such a sheltered solitary life it's depressing.

Can't make big whopping absolute statements by simply stating shaky "uncertain" evidence. Not every british person is like this, there's always going to be a different place with a different atmosphere.

For example i've been to HK and some of the people there were absolute fanny flaps to me, so it's not correct for me to say them because i've had a bad experience that all people in HK suck etc
I don't think it's a colour issue. I'm white but not of British ancestry and had such a hard time making friends with white British people at university. It was pretty much like you describe. I've been to many countries and British people are by far the least friendly.

I've noticed that British people can seem very closed and have a narrow view when travelling, yes. But again, you can't generalise. This isn't due to an inherent trait in British people - it may just be your own (and my own) anecdotal experience.

I also have an easier time making friends with EU students than from Britain. Don't know why really.
I smell a troll post aimed at white british people, when the same thing happens everywhere - including asian countries.
Original post by UltimateVillain
All your opinions are so irrelevant!

Oh well!
Original post by EmmaRebecca1997
Not talking to you has literally nothing to do with your race for me it's that I don't want to talk to someone I don't know. British culture is based on the fact people don't talk to strangers in public that's just how it is. It's not the fact you're a different colour it's literally just that they don't know you and that's just culturally how things are here and something you will have to get used to. British people don't like small talk and will avoid it. The only people who tend to engage in small talk with strangers are old people.

How are you supposed to make friends then? Even my flat mates don't want to small talk.
Depends on who it is. Go on the tube. Everyone is very serious. Music. Phone. Newspaper.
But then you go into a pub/club and it's very loud and everyone is crazy, having fun and conversing with everyone.
They're cold and reserved af.
And every categorisation works on basing on a number not the whole system so yes I can.
I could be having lunch on my own with a group of English people right next to me having a good time and they will not even look in my direction. Does this happen in other countries? I know it doesn't in the Asian ones. People are generally way more considerate and will actually try and be friendly rather than stick their nose in their phones all the time.

Personally, I wouldn’t talk to a stranger either because I don’t know them. Perhaps, smile?
I agree, but I think its the white Brits you are describing. They tend to have a disapproving look they give to anyone that is not white. But of course its un-pc to call that out because they're such special snowflakes.
How are you supposed to make friends then? Even my flat mates don't want to small talk.

If you're at uni go to societies. It's much easier to make friends with people who share your interests because you have something to talk about that isn't just awkward small talk about the weather or how their day was
Original post by Pidge Gunderson
I've noticed that British people can seem very closed and have a narrow view when travelling, yes. But again, you can't generalise. This isn't due to an inherent trait in British people - it may just be your own (and my own) anecdotal experience.

I also have an easier time making friends with EU students than from Britain. Don't know why really.

I would say actually that there are inherent traits in different cultures, I think EmmaRebecca1997 has done a good job describing British culture quite well in an earlier post in this thread.

I also make friends easier with EU students.

Latest

Trending

Trending