The Student Room Group

What MacBook 💻?

Scroll to see replies

What year is that one? Can you still get them new?
Original post by niteninja1
You sure the cpu on top one is 1.3GHz?

Yes, copy and paste from the apple site for both
Original post by Reece.W.J
1.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory
256GB SSD storage
Intel HD Graphics 615
Backlit Keyboard - British
£1,339.00
Or,
2.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
128GB SSD storage
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
Backlit Keyboard - British
£1,249.00
????
Idk but I think the cheapest one seems better just slightly less storage but it’s only for school work. I’m in year 12 and will hope to use it all through uni. I can get the bottom one for pretty much £1k

I'd go for the second one personally. And you can always store school work externally, whether that be on cloud storage or a USB stick :yes:

But, IMO only get a MacBook if you have the money and you need it for portability; otherwise, I'd just recommend a Windows PC for school work.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
I'd go for the second one personally. And you can always store school work externally, whether that be on cloud storage or a USB stick :yes:

But, IMO only get a MacBook if you have the money and you need it for portability; otherwise, I'd just recommend a Windows PC for school work.

Yeah I can upload my work to the school server
Original post by artful_lounger
You know you can get white laptops too.

Yeah I would get an air but they’re only in white so I won’t even consider. It also matches my phone
Original post by niteninja1
You sure the cpu on top one is 1.3GHz?

yes apple really does use that slow level of CPU and really does charge that much for it lmao
yes apple really does use that slow level of CPU and really does charge that much for it lmao

seems awful at first, but it does turbo up to 3.2. whether the OP will actually need that, or whether it will end up burning your lap, (the cooling is infamously horrific as you'll probably know and not designed to handle much stress) are different matters entirely.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 27
Does seem a bit of a waste if it's simply for browsing and school work though...

A windows laptop a fraction of the price can work fine for many years, but if you're adamant about buying one, then go for the low spec model (since you aren't going to be doing anything intensive anyway).

Out of curiosity, what makes you like Macbooks so much that you are willing to spend 3 times the amount if it's just for school work?
Original post by Baaah
Does seem a bit of a waste if it's simply for browsing and school work though...

A windows laptop a fraction of the price can work fine for many years, but if you're adamant about buying one, then go for the low spec model (since you aren't going to be doing anything intensive anyway).

Out of curiosity, what makes you like Macbooks so much that you are willing to spend 3 times the amount if it's just for school work?

Pairs with my phone.
What year is that one? Can you still get them new?

I meant whatever baseline model of MacBook Pro is being sold at the time, so 2017 I guess.

I’m going to use it for general school work. Tabs open, research, and word

Yeah, just get the cheapest Retina MBP currently on sale.
Original post by Baaah

My only other consideration would be Microsoft surface
My only other consideration would be Microsoft surface

I would strongly recommend that - I was pretty skeptical of the surface until I used a friends, and it's an incredibly powerful little machine that does it's job really well. It is essentially an actual computer in tablet form, rather than the "pseudo pc/mac" that other tablets (notably ipads) end up being. They also have a lot of bang for their buck, with the only caveat potentially being that if you want to store a lot of files you'll want an external - which is true anyway if you do need to keep records of a lot of files.
I would strongly recommend that - I was pretty skeptical of the surface until I used a friends, and it's an incredibly powerful little machine that does it's job really well. It is essentially an actual computer in tablet form, rather than the "pseudo pc/mac" that other tablets (notably ipads) end up being. They also have a lot of bang for their buck, with the only caveat potentially being that if you want to store a lot of files you'll want an external - which is true anyway if you do need to keep records of a lot of files.

Ok thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending