The Student Room Group

How many years of funding do I have left?

Hi I'm an undergrad student and I was wondering how many years of funding I have left. I used my first year and then I resat half my exams the year after so I used half of my 'gift year'. But I fell ill during my exams and was forced to leave uni and take time out. I'm back in first year studying closer to home. Does that mean I have 2 or 2 and a half years of funding left?

Regards,

Ben
Original post by Brk3141592654
Hi I'm an undergrad student and I was wondering how many years of funding I have left. I used my first year and then I resat half my exams the year after so I used half of my 'gift year'. But I fell ill during my exams and was forced to leave uni and take time out. I'm back in first year studying closer to home. Does that mean I have 2 or 2 and a half years of funding left?

Regards,

Ben

You get length of course + 1 - previous years study. Part of a year will count as a full year.

You may get compelling personal reasons (an extra years funding) if you can show you dropped out due to illness.
Hi Ben,

When assessing your entitlement for coming back to start the first year of a course again we would look at the length of the course you are coming back to do and we would add on an additional year then we would deduct any years of previous study from that to calculate your entitlement.

The information you have given about previous study is a bit unclear but I think you are indicating that you have had two years previous study so if you were coming back to do a three year course the calculation for your entitlement would be (3 + 1 - 2) = 2 years entitlement remaining. This would be applied to the end of your course going forward so this would mean for starting the first year of a new course you would only able to apply for means tested Maintenance Loan (ML) and Supplementary Grants if applicable (eg. Parents' Learning Allowances, Childcare Grant, Adult Dependants' Grants, Disabled Students' Allowances). This means you would need to self fund your own Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) for your first year.

We can review this if you send in evidence to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). You would send in a covering letter requesting this, indicating your ill health and get a signed and dated letter from your GP or other professional person confirming the reason why you couldn't continue with your studies and the dates of when this happened.

If we accept this we can then look to adding your TFL to your application again.

Thanks

Laura
Thank you so much you've been very helpful ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending