The Student Room Group

Accident whilst driving in instructors car

I haven't driven in years. Thought I would do a few refresher lessons. The instructor was on his phone texting when I then hit a parked car. He started swearing in Russian and told me to leave. While the neighbours looking out for each other, all came rushing out. One of them took my licence info before I left. Earlier that day my husband had just added me to his policy. Who is at fault here?

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Patricia Grant
I have driven in years. Thought I would do a few lessons to catch up . The instructor was on his phone texting when I hit a park car. He curse he out in Russian and tell me to leave. While the neighbors looking out for each other , all came rushing out. One of them took my liciene info before I left. Earlier that day my husband had just added me to his policy. Who is at fault here?

Hi there!

Please check dates before posting in threads, as you bumped an old thread. I have moved your post to a new thread in order to get more replies for you :yy:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Your fault, is as bluntly as I could put it. Your driving instructor is covered by insurance, but if you are behind the wheel, everything that happens is your fault.
Reply 3
Original post by Patricia Grant
I haven't driven in years. Thought I would do a few refresher lessons. The instructor was on his phone texting when I then hit a parked car. He started swearing in Russian and told me to leave. While the neighbours looking out for each other, all came rushing out. One of them took my licence info before I left. Earlier that day my husband had just added me to his policy. Who is at fault here?

Spoiler

You are likely at fault, but who's car were you driving?

Was the other car parked legally?
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury
You are likely at fault, but who's car were you driving?

Was the other car parked legally?

i think the driving instructors, otherwise he wouldn't have told her to get out her own car. :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Drunq
i think the driving instructors, otherwise he wouldn't have told her to get out her own car. :biggrin::biggrin:

Odd that he just told her to go, I wonder if he was correctly insured?
Original post by moonkatt

You actually raise a valid point... Maybe he was frustrated? Maybe he's not insured?? Odd really...
Reply 7
Original post by Drunq

GPWM

Indeed. Seems odd...
Original post by RoyalSheepy
You actually raise a valid point... Maybe he was frustrated? Maybe he's not insured?? Odd really...

Original post by Doonesbury
GPWM

Indeed. Seems odd...

As a driving instructor surely, telling someone to leave the scene of an accident goes against what they should be teaching. I also imagine they'd be used to the occasional bump in their car.

It all sounds a bit off to me.
As a driving instructor surely, telling someone to leave the scene of an accident goes against what they should be teaching. I also imagine they'd be used to the occasional bump in their car.

It leaves a heap of questions really. If I was in his position, I'd try and resolve it calmly. But maybe it's just the type of person the bloke is?
Reply 10

It leaves a heap of questions really. If I was in his position, I'd try and resolve it calmly. But maybe it's just the type of person the bloke is?

It does sound like he has an insurance "problem". And/or not a professional instructor.
The instructor was... texting? Surely that's not legal... he should have been keeping an eye on what you were doing and then you wouldn't have hit the car. Also agreeing with the others here in saying that he shouldn't have told you to leave...
Original post by Paracosm
The instructor was... texting? Surely that's not legal...

It's not...

"It’s illegal for your friend or family member to use a mobile phone while supervising you." - https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-learning-to-drive/practising-with-family-or-friends

The same rule applies for "qualified" driving instructors, or else you can complain about them.

So the instructor also wasn't up to scratch by the looks of things. Or, was he even qualified? :curious:
(edited 6 years ago)
It's not...

"It’s illegal for your friend or family member to use a mobile phone while supervising you." - https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-learning-to-drive/practising-with-family-or-friends

The same rule applies for "qualified" driving instructors, or else you can complain about them.

So the instructor also wasn't up to scratch by the looks of things. Or, was he even qualified? :curious:

This is looking like a big mess.
Did he have one of those little badges in the window that shows his instructor credentials? It sounds very much like he isn't legit.
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
Did he have one of those little badges in the window that shows his instructor credentials? It sounds very much like he isn't legit.

By the sounds of things, this guy didn't even have an ADI "Trainee" badge :rofl:
It's not...

The OP said they hold a full licence and were just having a refresher session, so would this still apply?
The OP said they hold a full licence and were just having a refresher session, so would this still apply?

Well, on insurance terms, I reckon this may still apply. @IWMTom can you confirm?
Wahst strikes me is that your instructor was texting. A learner driver could be someone who's an absolute beginner or someone who is capable of passing their test. However experienced the learner is they are still a learner. The instructor must be paying full attention at all times.
Reply 19

Ah! Plot twist!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending