The Student Room Group

How can I cope with having no friends?

Scroll to see replies

I'm relatively shy and making online friends scan be difficult but also easy. Just chat casually with people on social media if you have interests that are similar. And just be friendly and people will be more inclined to chat back and be friendly too ❤️❤️
Reply 21
Original post by Afraprawn
I'm relatively shy and making online friends scan be difficult but also easy. Just chat casually with people on social media if you have interests that are similar. And just be friendly and people will be more inclined to chat back and be friendly too ❤️❤️

I agree with talking to people online, it makes you feel like your not as lonely and gives you someone to talk to if you’re having a hard time. There’s plenty of people in your situation that would like to to have someone to talk to.
Reply 22
Intended this as a PM but it ended up not working.

Hello there

I'm a 23 year old law postgraduate that saw your thread and decided to make an account to speak to you directly. I was browsing for the first time in years and ended up stumbling this in the sidebar. I want you to know that you are not alone.

This generation, and particularly amongst people your age in their late teens, are incredibly lonely. You are surrounded by people putting on a facade, presenting themselves as happy and sociable when in actual fact they are not. Polling has proven that the average person has perhaps 1 person that they would confide in. You likely see people on social networks looking like they are having a good time constantly. You need to know that it is all ********. They are virtually all unhappy. If you use social media I would scrap it. Getting off Facebook in 2010 was probably one of the greatest decisions of my life, and stopped me having to compare myself constantly to others.

When I went to primary school I was a very happy and innocent kid. When I switched to secondary school I was surrounded by very different people who were unrelenting in their brutality and ability to psychologically abuse me. By the time I left at 16 to go to sixth form I was a very different person, far more bitter and cynical and far less happy. My Sixth Form years were lonely and quiet. I didn't make any friends and purely lived off the back of a few great teachers that pushed me, something that I was incredibly lucky to have. I managed to get through university as a loner and subsequently law school. I have never been a gregarious or popular person in my life, but with a sense of purpose I managed to stumble my way through it.

I see in you the me that existed back then, when I felt crippled by loneliness and a sense of sheer hopelessness about my future and my ability to form relationships with people. I was surrounded by what seemed like insurmountable "cliquishness" and some really horrible people, and I got braces, glasses and severe acne all within a month. I felt like any attention at all was better than being completely ignored as I was for a long time. I want you to know that in a few years time, if you manage to hold your chin up high, you'll look back on all of this and say "what was I even worried about?". Most of these ****s aren't happy anyway and they are having their 'glory days' in their teenage years instead of when they are older. People who didn't give me the time of day when I was 16 now desperately try to get in contact with me because their friendship groups have collapsed into acrimony and backstabbing. You can beat them all so long as you get over what Churchill called the 'black dog' of depression and try to boost your spirit. You can wallow in it, try to sedate the **** out of it with drugs, drink or meaningless activities or try to solve it.

If you want to have someone to vent to when you're feeling low, send me a message. I'd be happy to listen to you and give you advice on stuff. Anyway, enough of my disgusting text wall. I hope you get something out of this. Cheers.
Reply 23
Original post by Irate

Hello there

I'm a 23 year old law postgraduate that saw your thread and decided to make an account to speak to you directly. I was browsing for the first time in years and ended up stumbling this in the sidebar. I want you to know that you are not alone.

This generation, and particularly amongst people your age in their late teens, are incredibly lonely. You are surrounded by people putting on a facade, presenting themselves as happy and sociable when in actual fact they are not. Polling has proven that the average person has perhaps 1 person that they would confide in. You likely see people on social networks looking like they are having a good time constantly. You need to know that it is all ********. They are virtually all unhappy. If you use social media I would scrap it. Getting off Facebook in 2010 was probably one of the greatest decisions of my life, and stopped me having to compare myself constantly to others.

When I went to primary school I was a very happy and innocent kid. When I switched to secondary school I was surrounded by very different people who were unrelenting in their brutality and ability to psychologically abuse me. By the time I left at 16 to go to sixth form I was a very different person, far more bitter and cynical and far less happy. My Sixth Form years were lonely and quiet. I didn't make any friends and purely lived off the back of a few great teachers that pushed me, something that I was incredibly lucky to have. I managed to get through university as a loner and subsequently law school. I have never been a gregarious or popular person in my life, but with a sense of purpose I managed to stumble my way through it.

I see in you the me that existed back then, when I felt crippled by loneliness and a sense of sheer hopelessness about my future and my ability to form relationships with people. I was surrounded by what seemed like insurmountable "cliquishness" and some really horrible people, and I got braces, glasses and severe acne all within a month. I felt like any attention at all was better than being completely ignored as I was for a long time. I want you to know that in a few years time, if you manage to hold your chin up high, you'll look back on all of this and say "what was I even worried about?". Most of these ****s aren't happy anyway and they are having their 'glory days' in their teenage years instead of when they are older. People who didn't give me the time of day when I was 16 now desperately try to get in contact with me because their friendship groups have collapsed into acrimony and backstabbing. You can beat them all so long as you get over what Churchill called the 'black dog' of depression and try to boost your spirit. You can wallow in it, try to sedate the **** out of it with drugs, drink or meaningless activities or try to solve it.

If you want to have someone to vent to when you're feeling low, send me a message. I'd be happy to listen to you and give you advice on stuff. Anyway, enough of my disgusting text wall. I hope you get something out of this. Cheers.

This isn’t my thread but this was really helpful, thank you.
Hello. I don't really have friends either.
Original post by timif2
I have no friends and I’m not even shy ffs
same lol
tumblr is a good place to find online friends. you get to find people with interests similar to yours. there are so many fandoms you'll fit right in. I have :smile:
I don't know what people do to cope - I never felt like I needed any. I had some friends but I haven't met any of them in over a year and I don't feel much of an urge to see them again any time soon.
(edited 6 years ago)
I've joined sixth form and because of my shyness I've made classmates. I took a girls sc and we talk but only in school. We don't hang out or anything. And now i have lots more time to revise and it feels flipping great
Original post by Kwaix
Try online gaming. It is very easy to make friends that way.

Are you a girl though? I know for a fact (or at least i have a pretty good idea) that I play at least one game that you do, and I've not made one friend in it. Nor have I made any friends from all but one online game I've played.
Seriously this was touching to know that so many people go through this.I seriously feel the same.
Original post by Irate

Hello there

Thank you for posting this. It is good to know other people feel like this too.
Reply 32
Original post by humbleburrito
same lol

What do you think makes you so un friend able? I’ve always had many friends and still do, just no close friends or friend groups and I think I have something that makes me unlikeabke idrek who i am
This isn't my thread but I will bump it anyway
3 options.
1) Join a club if there is one at school.
2) Brave it out and approach people. You have no friends so how much worse can it get...unless you approach the wrong people. Stay away from the "cool" or "popular" kids and their followers.
3) tough it out till Uni. Its easy as pi (3.14159...) to make friends in Uni :biggrin:.
Reply 35
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Are you a girl though? I know for a fact (or at least i have a pretty good idea) that I play at least one game that you do, and I've not made one friend in it. Nor have I made any friends from all but one online game I've played.

Yeah, I am a girl. I play overwatch. I Think is easy to make a lot of friends there even as a guy.
Original post by Kwaix
Yeah, I am a girl. I play overwatch. I Think is easy to make a lot of friends there even as a guy.

That's the game I was thinking of. Well I am only level 123 with 107 hours played so perhaps you could still be right that it's easy to make a lot of friends there even as a guy.
Original post by Mr.Dr.Professor

3) tough it out till Uni. Its easy as pi (3.14159...) to make friends in Uni :biggrin:.

Not necessarilly. I managed not to.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Not necessarilly. I managed not to.

Well if you don't try you're not gonna make friends. You obviously didn't try. You're probably those guys that go home after Lectures and don't speak to anyone.

Life ain't like that. If you don't try you don't get anywhere. Join a society. Go to social events. I'm black and I braved it out and went to the Chinese society. Yes it was awkward and embarrassing but go there enough times and you'll end up making friends. Yh and I'm still social awkward too.

My point is try. You don't have to do something as extreme but you trying gets you places. If you don't have friends you have nothing to lose...as long as you don't do crazy stuff.
Original post by Mr.Dr.Professor
Well if you don't try you're not gonna make friends. You obviously didn't try. You're probably those guys that go home after Lectures and don't speak to anyone.

Life ain't like that. If you don't try you don't get anywhere. Join a society. Go to social events. I'm black and I braved it out and went to the Chinese society. Yes it was awkward and embarrassing but go there enough times and you'll end up making friends. Yh and I'm still social awkward too.

My point is try. You don't have to do something as extreme but you trying gets you places. If you don't have friends you have nothing to lose...as long as you don't do crazy stuff.

I never used to have to try to make friends. It used to be as easy as Pi, as you put it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending