The Student Room Group

Having second thoughts about uni

I started uni last year but I dropped out after my first year as I didn't like that particular uni. I have now started at a new one and I love it, however my course is 4 years long. It really bothers me that I will have been at uni for 5 years, I'll be 23 when I graduate and also I'll be at uni for 2 years longer than all my friends from home. I want a degree but I would like to get it done fairly quickly so that I can start working and saving money etc. I can't say that I'm totally passionate about my course, I like it and I would like to get a degree under my belt but I may or may not use it after I graduate. It seems like my options are to stick with it, to go back to my old uni (so I would graduate sooner but then I'd have the same problems as before), or to drop out, but I don't know what else I'd do. Anyone have any advice?? Maybe I'm just worrying too much?
Could you switch to doing it part time instead? Then you can get a job and start saving at the same time. I’m doing a part time degree at the moment and won’t graduate until I’m 26
Could you switch to doing it part time instead? Then you can get a job and start saving at the same time. I’m doing a part time degree at the moment and won’t graduate until I’m 26
@del1rious that's true thank you
What's the degree and what do you want to do when you graduate?
@Student-95 it's French and Italian, and I'm not even sure right now, but I'm not super bothered about having a massive career, I'd be happy with an average job tbh
Original post by phoebe.lawson
@Student-95 it's French and Italian, and I'm not even sure right now, but I'm not super bothered about having a massive career, I'd be happy with an average job tbh

Do you need a degree at all then? You could spend the next few years earning money and experience instead of building debt.
@Student-95 that's what I'm wondering, but I do want to go to uni and have the experience. But thanks that's helpful.
I got sick of sitting around at university living in a s**t room and having to buy Tesco value everything. The university life was not for me so I just dropped out, got a trainee position at my place of work and am doing the degree to go with it part time, all the time commuting from home and having a decent standard of living.

There isn’t a right or wrong way to do things!
Original post by del1rious
I got sick of sitting around at university living in a s**t room and having to buy Tesco value everything. The university life was not for me so I just dropped out, got a trainee position at my place of work and am doing the degree to go with it part time, all the time commuting from home and having a decent standard of living.

There isn’t a right or wrong way to do things!

Definintly nothing wrong with that but it sounds like the op isnt bothered about getting a degree (the main point of going to uni) and just wants the 'uni lifestyle'
Original post by phoebe.lawson
@Student-95 that's what I'm wondering, but I do want to go to uni and have the experience. But thanks that's helpful.

It is an incredibly expensive 'experience'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending