The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge ENGAA 2017

Scroll to see replies

Ok thanks
Original post by yukeming
doing a secund time doesn't count.. I got 100 percent on both papers in timed conditions on second try.. unfamiliarity is key. all the best. the assessment is supposed to stress test the applicants. don't worry about it too much.. the median score for offer holders remains to be 6.0

Is this score of 6.0 based on section 1 only or a combination of both sections?
Reply 22
Original post by Student1256
Is this score of 6.0 based on section 1 only or a combination of both sections?

Section 1. With a spread of 1.6 to 9.0
Original post by Doonesbury
Section 1. With a spread of 1.6 to 9.0

I messed up section 2 but I’m feeling more confident about 1. How true is it that section 2 is irrelevant? I’ve read a couple of times how section 2 results aren’t considered during offer decisions.
Reply 24
Original post by Student1256
I messed up section 2 but I’m feeling more confident about 1. How true is it that section 2 is irrelevant? I’ve read a couple of times how section 2 results aren’t considered during offer decisions.

Section 2 is marked by your college. Of course it's factored into the holistic process. Why would they ask you to sit something that they ignore...
Why would they ask you to sit something that they ignore...

This is Cambridge admissions, different people at different colleges seem have quite varied opinions about what is and isn't important - especially when they didn't set the test in question...
Reply 26
I found paper 1 a bit easier than paper 2. I had to guess a bit of part B because I was slow on part A. I did finish the exam though.
Reply 27
Original post by Forecast
This is Cambridge admissions, different people at different colleges seem have quite varied opinions about what is and isn't important - especially when they didn't set the test in question...

Perhaps. But I doubt it would be entirely ignored, could be wrong though.
spent so long on section a that I had to guess quite a lot of section b 😭 annoying thing was that if I'd had time there were a few I definitely could've done. ah well it's up to cambridge to decide if they want to give me an interview now
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
spent so long on section a that I had to guess quite a lot of section b 😭 annoying thing was that if I'd had time there were a few I definitely could've done. ah well it's up to cambridge to decide if they want to give me an interview now

imo the test is tougher than that from last year
Original post by T.S.
I found paper 1 a bit easier than paper 2. I had to guess a bit of part B because I was slow on part A. I did finish the exam though.

what do you mean you finished when you have to guess? did you read and tried to figure out the answer for all question or are you like me. the last 5 questions I didn't even get to read and randomly scribbled some answer
one question. as I understand mature home applicants do not need to sit for the ENGAA while international mature applicants have to. how do mature colleges compare these two types of applicants, considering the ENGAA might be of a different difficulty from a mature college own test set for home mature applicants?
I think I managed to work out about 30 of the section 1 paper and then guessed the rest, but I went through the whole paper and found questions that I knew I could do first, so I did about 15 on part A and 15 on Part B.
I was the only one in my school to actually finish section 2, with some working for everything
Reply 33
one question. as I understand mature home applicants do not need to sit for the ENGAA while international mature applicants have to. how do mature colleges compare these two types of applicants, considering the ENGAA might be of a different difficulty from a mature college own test set for home mature applicants?

Only if they aren't being interviewed in Cambridge.
e.g. https://www.wolfson.cam.ac.uk/applying/undergraduate/apply/interview
what do you mean you finished when you have to guess? did you read and tried to figure out the answer for all question or are you like me. the last 5 questions I didn't even get to read and randomly scribbled some answer

Original post by jwilliams190800
I think I managed to work out about 30 of the section 1 paper and then guessed the rest, but I went through the whole paper and found questions that I knew I could do first, so I did about 15 on part A and 15 on Part B.
I was the only one in my school to actually finish section 2, with some working for everything

Reminder: Do not discuss the test paper's contents on TSR.
See:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4934792
Only if they aren't being interviewed in Cambridge.
e.g. https://www.wolfson.cam.ac.uk/applying/undergraduate/apply/interview

yeah but how do mature colleges assess these two kinds of applicants
Original post by jwilliams190800

congrats and good luck. I find today's paper the toughest I had in my life. considering the fact that I have done University level papers..
Reply 37
yeah but how do mature colleges assess these two kinds of applicants

I don't know the detail, but suffice to say, they've been succesfully assessing overseas interviewed applicants for years. :smile:
I found section 2 much easier
Reply 39

I meant I didn't leave any questions out. I did have to guess a few, but I've heard from some other people who only did 30 questions and didn't even guess the rest. I did try to quickly do some questions in my head, but for the rest, I just put down anything without even looking at the question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending